Bear box at Osgood?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean the Osgood Tent Site, off Valley Way below Madison Hut?

I recall two years ago there was significant bear/food interaction in the Great Gulf area, and the Androscoggin ranger district installed several bear boxes. I phone call to the office in Gorham should confirm this. This was also the time that the WMNF started the bear cannister loaner program, at the Gorham office.

Last edited:
Loaner bear cannisters are now available at all USFS offices, as well as Pinkham Notch

fyi, called the ranger station, and they confirmed that there is a bear box at the Osgood tentsite.

I'd still bring a bag and rope as plan b., ranger station told me a month ago that there would be one at carlo col., but there wasn't. last fall ranger station told me there was a bear box at speck pond but there wasn't.. last month they told me there wasn't a bear box at full goose, but there was... however the last few years I've seen bear boxes in the great gulf area at the sites along the trail, didn't scope out osgood tho..