Bear Mt. (CT)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torn&frayed

Reaction score
Where is the actual summit of Bear Mt? To me it looks like it's about 100 feet to the west of the rock pile monument on the AT. Am I correct?
Next question. Is there a trail that leads into Sages Ravine from Rte 41 at the MA/CT border?
Thanks,

The Ct High Point is on Frissell. Are you looking for a higher point on Bear than the base of the rock pile ? I just stand on the pile, I think that's close enough, especially since it's not a high point anyway; just the highest peak, or however they differentiate it.

You can hike up the Sages Ravine from 41 just below the MA border. There's not really any parking there, though. There's good parking at the Under Mountain Trail a little further south. Then you hike up Under Mountain Trail and across Paradise Lane to get back to Sages.

If you're looking for the fastest way to the AT in CT, it's from the west side off Mount Washington Rd by the AMC Northwest Camp.

Last edited:
Thanks Chip. Ya, we knew about Frissell, but we were just curious about he actual high point on Bear.
We have been using the Mt. Washington Road trailhead. The entrance from Rte 41 would be our alternative when Mt. Washington Road is not passable with a big old Monte Carlo.

Yes the natural summit of Bear Mtn is not under the rock tower, but out among the ledges and scrub
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=42.04472&lon=-73.45528

And Bear Mountain is the highest PEAK in CT although not the highest POINT, so go ahead and tag it, then you will be ready to join the club of those who have climbed the highest PEAK in each state (CT is not the only state where they differ, exact list depends on how deep a col you require for a peak)

[Note however that Bear is not the most PROMINENT summit in CT, presently thought to be in Hanging Hills]