Been There Done That!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainmain

Reaction score
Need some advice. I love the pemi. My buddy and I have covered the whole area and need a new location for a two night, possibly three night trip (more likely two nights in the woods with a 6:00am start time. In any event, we have also covered carter dome and Mt. Horn (like this area as well). Where would you go weekday trip first or second week in October. The less people the better. One must thing is the desire to hit one 4000 ft mt.

thanks, jim

Dart Board

This may be the antithesis of what you're after, but

Try walking into a random trailhead and see where you end up.

They say you don't know China until you get lost.

[Just leave out the part about actually being lost.]

I've never once put on a John Coltrane disc and not been blown away.

--M.

The area around Thoreau Falls and the former Desolation shelter is very nice, and makes a nice trip up the back side of Mt. Carrigain.

Great Gulf

Hike in to the base of 6 Husbands trail (plenty of tent sites in the area) and do loops over Wash and the Northern Presies. All the trails in there are great

Loop suggestions

Up Great Gulf headwall, summit, down Sphinx

Up 6 Hus to Jeff, Adams, Mad down Buttress.

Up Wansetta, Wash, down Sphinx.

Desolation Trail

I have hiked this trail with full packs in the rain. No fun, but rewarding. I thought the black flies were going to carry me off the mountain.

The Mahoosucs are an entirely seperated area of the Whites. You can make a 2,3 or 4 day trip of it. Just start in from on of the trailheads off Success Pond Rd and head north. Plenty of camping, plenty of great views and Old Speck as your requisite 4000'er.

must do

The Mahoosics are just fantastic as a backpacking trip. Starting in gorham, I took 2 nights, I was very impressed with the quality of both the terrain and campsites. If anyone out there has not yet done this trip, you are fortunate in that you have a great trip ahead of you. This is on anyones list as "must do" in the northeast.