Bells?!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
Am I a ding-dong for thinking that maybe I should wear a bell while trailrunning at this time of year?

I had on a red hat and colorful clothing, but it just seemed like maybe some kind of noice other than me crunching down the icy trail would be more of an alert that I'm not a deer?!

In the morning, I saw a couple hunters that I gave a holler out to (they understandably didn't respond), but I was a bit scared on the way out when it was dusk.

I am concerned about being offensive.
Seriously - Inge :)

I would avoid jingle-bells, lest they think you're a reindeer ;)

I suspect a human jogging makes a lot more noise than a deer to begin with, so I would think blaze orange would have you covered, but if it makes you more comfortable, why not?

Am I a ding-dong for thinking that maybe I should wear a bell while trailrunning at this time of year?

I had on a red hat and colorful clothing, but it just seemed like maybe some kind of noice other than me crunching down the icy trail would be more of an alert that I'm not a deer?!

In the morning, I saw a couple hunters that I gave a holler out to (they understandably didn't respond), but I was a bit scared on the way out when it was dusk.

I am concerned about being offensive.
Seriously - Inge :)

Red, white and blue are turkey colors to be avoided. Brown, black, yellow are woods colors to be avoided. Blaze Orange makes the right statement, or that new blaze green - maybe. Make as much noise as you want, including bells. You shouldn't be concerned about being offensive. Next time the hunters may find an area less traveled. Try to avoid areas you know are being hunted, though, no harm there.

If it makes you feel more at ease, go for it!

One thing I do at dusk is I turn on my headlamp on low (even though I don't need it) so that I stand out more in case there is a hunter out and about.

I suggest you sing loudly. Preferably, 80's hair band tunes. This way you are sure to be running at a conversational pace.

I'm not worried about being offensive.
Seriously,
Rik

OOoops! I forgot about Turkeys.

I probably looked like a large turkey!! Yikes -- A red hat, blue pack w/ lots of colorful patches and scrawny black legs. :D

This was the Garden trail and although I did see a very massive doe yesterday, I had never seen so many hunters. With all the recent shootings, my pace was a bit quicker than usual. ;)

Thanks! I'm going to dig out the BLAZE ORANGE and leave the jingle bells for Rudolph. :D

Blaze/hunter orange makes a huge difference in being seen at distance and in low-light conditions. The most common times for deer and moose hunters to be afield are at dawn and dusk. Red is visible (but not nearly as much as the blaze/hunter orange, especially in low light) and as noted dangerous in turkey season. Make sure that you're not wearing any white whatsoever during deer season.

A tip on protocol, since you expressed concern about being offensive to other forest users. If you spot a hunter, the hunter will "probably" be looking at you already from hearing and/or seeing your movement. Wave your arm to acknowledge that person -- who will probably confirm that you're seen -- and continue as you were doing. It will do less to alert any nearby game than calling out and the hunter will appreciate it.

Inge,

I'd get a blaze orange cap and a light weight blaze orange vest. The kind you get at Walmart. Weighs next to nothing.

Making sounds or noise is a good idea. A bell won't scare deer or bears away anymore than your running sounds will. Singing will do it, but can you sing for hours?

I wish I could do what you do, but feel that trail running puts you in more danger than hiking. Sportsman hunt with their eyes and ears. If you're hunting on watch, you will usually hear a person walking well before seeing them if it isn't raining or windy. And the footsteps of someone walking, even going slowly, sounds like nothing else. With a trail runner, the sound is not a lot different than a deer running thru the woods. And a hunter is not expecting to see a runner bust by, but a deer or bear. Orange clothing or not, I think trail running during the hunting season is dangerous, not something I'd say about hiking. Saying that to you as a friend.

I suggest you sing loudly. Preferably, 80's hair band tunes.

Perhaps he doesn't qualify as a hair band person since he's bald, but I just want to remind folks that singing Phil Collins tunes is forbidden.

Blaze orange all over, can't be too safe. Bells too if it makes you feel better. Anything that keeps you safe and comfortable is the way to go.

I suggest you sing loudly. Preferably, 80's hair band tunes. This way you are sure to be running at a conversational pace.

I'm not worried about being offensive.
Seriously,
Rik

I suggest some Iron Maiden, maybe "run to the hills" :D

Jay

I was behind the hunter and he was walking through the crunchy leaves so he didn't hear my running steps. That was why I waved when he did eventually turned my way. When he didn't return the wave, but slid behind a tree, I felt compelled to holler.

It reminded me of the time I was mt biking in the woods during hunting season (on Posted Land), was wearing blaze green, came to a trail intersection to stop for a rest and saw a "stick" move slowly UP from behind a tree. I was alone and scared since the owner of the "stick" did not show himself after I yelped out a friendly "hello?!". I waited and waited. Finally he came out and walked away w/o a word. I had visions of being shot in the back as I rode off the other way. :rolleyes:

Finally he came out and walked away w/o a word.
Too bad he acted like that, probably upset you saw him in all his expensive new camo. That's the type of reaction that gives non-hunters the creeps. I hunt in a local state forest that is heavily posted FOR hunting, it's even a state pheasant stocking and "Junior Hunter" area . I always give the unsuspecting and off-put hikers a friendly hello and wave, and then I move deeper off and away from the direction of the trail, plenty of unused land out there.

Perhaps he doesn't qualify as a hair band person since he's bald, but I just want to remind folks that singing Phil Collins tunes is forbidden.

"Phil Collins"?! Phil Collins sucks a$$!

I was in the DAKs last weekend with a bad Genesis song stuck in my head. I thought there should be a YouTube video of three guys slamming in from outside the frame and making me take Ritalout. Kind of like the old ESPN commercial with the bowling alley and the hockey player. Abacrap!

Now, if you really want to be safe in the woods during hunting season, memorize and recite the script from any of the major Coppola films. "Well, you see, Willard, in this war, things get... confused out there. Power, ideals, the old morality, and practical military necessity...." Can you imagine the impact on everyone within hearing range of you humming the theme from "The Godfather"?

No one will come near you.

You know, this board is so valuable, it saves lives!

'Bear Bells' are rather popular with some people in Alaska while hiking in grizzly teritory...

While I was there I never used them but we did refer to them as 'dinner bells'. ;)

If you are uncomfortable running without some added noise, go for it.

But wearing a reflective blaze orange garment or vest, and having a headlamp are always a good idea for dusk/night running.

'Bear Bells' are rather popular with some people in Alaska while hiking in grizzly teritory...

While I was there I never used them but we did refer to them as 'dinner bells'. ;)
I read one informal study where someone rang a bell within hearing range of a grizzly and got no response. However, the response to snapping a twig was instantaneous...

Hopefully humans would associate bells with other humans...

A helmet/hat with a zenon flash on top might also be effective.

Doug

jester-hat-a.jpg

Bells...check.

Colorful...check.

Functional headgear...check.

Blaze orange...sadly, no.

But I smell a million-dollar opportunity for a forward-thinking outdoor company. (Can you picture one in blaze orange with a Mountain Hardwear logo on it...?)

:D