Berlin Mnt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masshysteria

Reaction score
Im planning on climbing Berlin Mnt. (Mass/NY line) on Sunday. I will start at the pulloff at the top of Rt.2 and head south on the Taconic Crest. Instead of backtracking, I'm thinking about taking a trail that shows up on an older map of mine. It appears to end up at the old Carmelite Novitate off Oblong Road in Williamstown.

I believe I recall that the Carmelites sold the property a few years ago to a private group. Does anyone know if the new owners allow people to hike along their driveway to reach this trail? How about the condition of the trail? The TCT is pretty beat up, and I didn't know if this trail suffers the same fate. Thanks!

masshysteria said:
Im planning on climbing Berlin Mnt. (Mass/NY line) on Sunday. I will start at the pulloff at the top of Rt.2 and head south on the Taconic Crest. Instead of backtracking, I'm thinking about taking a trail that shows up on an older map of mine. It appears to end up at the old Carmelite Novitate off Oblong Road in Williamstown.

I believe I recall that the Carmelites sold the property a few years ago to a private group. Does anyone know if the new owners allow people to hike along their driveway to reach this trail? How about the condition of the trail? The TCT is pretty beat up, and I didn't know if this trail suffers the same fate. Thanks!

My book (Natural Areas of Rens County 2nd edit 2002) shows the Phelps trail providing access to TCT from Oblong Rd. It is blazed with blue.