Big Squaw, the end of a journey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
What a great mountain for me to finish my quest for the New England 3ks!. It was what I consider to be a "typical" western ME day, with a mix of clouds, sun and a bit of rain also. I was delighted to be accompanied on the trip with my son, Dan, his friend Jenn, and my long time hiking friend Jeff Romano. BTW, Jeff just wrote a wonderful book, The Best Loop Hikes in New Hampshire and ME, it is published by The Mountaineers, and he will be at the AMC in Pinkham this Saturday with a slide show on the hikes. The trail is a beauty, the first 2.5 mi is on a old moderately graded road that takes you to the doorstep of the warden's cabin, it is a bit run down, but was very clean inside and still gets a lot of use in the summer. From the cabin, the trail steepens significantly, but there is a series of stone steps which make the steepness easy to navigate. As you reach the summit ridge, there is a short trail going off to the south which leads to a great outlook to the east, the views make this detour well worth the effort. The main trail then turns directly north for about .5 mi to the summit. There is another outlook trail to the west for views of the Bigelows, Sugarloaf and Abraham. At the summit the firetower looks to be in tough shape and the cab may not last too much longer. The ME Mountain Guide states that this tower was the first built in ME in 1905. The ladder had been removed, so we did not make an effort to climb up. There were plenty of views from the summit and a wide open ledge a short distance to the north.
From the ledge there are views of Mooshead Lake, the Spencers, Lily Bays and Bakers, as well as the BSP peaks. We could pick out OJI, The Owl, the Brothers, but because of clouds, we could only see the base of Katahdin. We stayed on the summit for over an our with no other hikers around. Because of the coolness of the temps we did not open the bottle of celebration champagne, we took care of that later.
After 25 years of hiking this list I do want to offer some thanks to several folks who made it all possible. First is to my wife Susan, who has put up with my hiking "obession" all these years! To Gene Daniell who really got me interested in hiking and provided me with the infamous list! Thanks also to Dennis Crispo who helped me learn how to use a map and compass, to Doug and Jeff Romano with whom I did the majority of my peaks.
As it turns out I ended up doing 476 3k peaks, the "new" list contains 453, but I had done virtually all of the "disqualified" peaks when the new list was established in 1992. I am pretty sure I hold the record for taking the longest time to complete the list, as there were several years when I decided to get back to trail hiking, because believe me there are some bushwacks on the list that make you think about whether it's all worth it. But I managed to hook up with several other finishers such as John Swanson, Narcisso Torres, soon to be finisher Jim C., and my son Dan, to help me through my last ME peaks, which are by far the toughest to do.
Finishing still hasn't sunk in yet, but I do want to say that I love being in the mountains, next to my family, it is my greatest passion, so I know that I will continue to hike as long as I can! I will post some pics tomorrow. Good hiking to all!!

Last edited:
Nice. Congrats.

Reminded me of a nice memory:
Somewere in the eary '80s, a friend and I "played radio" on the summit for Field Day. (Field Day is a world-wide ham radio "gathering"/contest where you set up portable stations off the power grid and see how many contacts you can make. Also develops your emergency communication capibilites.) We took the ski lift up bringing 2 meter SSB Ham radios, batteries, antennas, and camping gear. Did our radio bit on the helipad very close to the summit tower, slept nearby, and went down the next day.

Doug

Great going Dennis.

It's nice to see one who bridges the gap between the oldies and the newbies.

And this one counts twice! There's the peak on the old list called Biq Squaw and one on the new-new list called Big Moose. So that's really 477 :D

Gimme a D, gimme an E, gimme an N...

:D

Congratulations Dennis! We've never actually met, but way back when I was working on the NH 100 highest list in 1991-92, I remember seeing your name as well as the Romanos in many, many registers. We've also hiked with some of the same people over the years: Narcisso, John S., Dennis C., and even the infamous Gene Daniell a couple of times. :eek:

My own "hard-core" bushwhacking endeavers pretty much ended with comparatively wimpy NH 100 highest list--I decided I preferred maintained trails :D --but I have the utmost respect for anyone who completes the NE 3000 footers and can appreciate the drive to do so. What a feat!

"After 25 years of hiking this list ...." !!

Wow! So nice to see you finish your LONG time goal, Dennis. You "span several generations", as mentioned before, and you no doubt have hiked with more New England 3000 footer peak baggers than any of us. No need to "hang up the cleats" yet. You've only just begun ... we've got your next list ;). Congratulations!

DMS,

That is a worthy adventure and accomplishment for a worthy person.(me.........ok you.) It is fun reading all the summit cannisters with many crazy people that pop up again and again.....even that Vermont Vermin that posted above is ok I guess.

Congrats! As others have said, what an amazing accomplishment! Those pictures are so beautiful... I need to spend more time up at Moosehead.

Top 5

Hey DMS, as difficult as it'd be to do so, I'd be interesting in hearing what your top 5 favorite peaks were.

Jamie, I will post my five favorites, as well as my five that aren't my favorites!

Dennis, way to go!! You are an inspiration to me. My thoughts where with you on Saturday. Thanks for all the help you've given me. I've enjoyed the bushwhacks we've done together.

Onestep

Kurt, likewise! When you get into NH and/or VT and want some company, let me know!

Barbarossa said:
Congratulations Dennis!

Count yourself as an inspiration to the next generation.

I second that and plan to pick your brain about some of the more obscure/remote peaks as I move further into the depths of this list. For now though, I've got more than a few peaks with trails to keep me busy in the interm...

Congrats, you have truly achieved a rare accomplishment! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Congratulations, Dennis!
It was a treat for me to hike with you on Barron, Squaw's Bosom, and S. Big Spenser!!!