Bonding 8/1/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Feathered Hat

Reaction score
With his usual unlimited kindness, Jeremy -- rocket21 -- offered to teach a member of his father's generation (me) what I really need to know to navigate the tricky, convoluted routes and byways of contemporary American culture. According to Rocket, if one is not conversant with the plot details of every episode of Arrested Development and the U.S. version of The Office, you can hardly call yourself an American anymore. And just out of the goodness of his heart, he told me, he'd throw in not just recaps of the very best bits from the Howie Carr show but would also teach a private workshop in "That's what she said" jokes. He proposed to give this all-day seminar during a south-to-north traverse of the Bonds.

As it happened, I wanted to do that very traverse. I hadn't ever been up to the Bonds and now I had a very good reason for getting up there. I mean: an introduction to Arrested Development from an expert!

After spotting a car at Zealand Road, we got underway from Lincoln Woods at about 6:40 a.m. The morning light on the Wilderness Trail was beautiful...
3781131334_e147a3e2e0.jpg

...and very soon the teaching began. First, Rocket demonstrated the proper hands-in-pocket, knock-kneed technique for climbing the Bondcliff Trail:
3780319841_72c3e8c46f.jpg

So up the trail we went, banging knees (that's what she said) and crossing streams and discussing the merits of Dennis Eckersley in the NESN booth versus Jerry Remy. Though my pocket watch said we'd taken two hours to climb the Bondcliff Trail up to the peak, it seemed like no time at all. I must admit I was a little surprised when Rocket said, "The real problem with the Bonds is no views. None at all."
3781140466_3fc2376b4a.jpg

After getting the obligatory Bondcliff photos -- Rocket, by the way, gave me a two-for-five-dollars deal; what a pal! -- we headed up to the big boy, Mt. Bond. At the summit Rocket had another lesson for me: proper presidential pitching technique. "First, make sure you're wearing mom jeans. Then, throw only with your arm, not your full body, like this. See? Just like a... just like a... well, just like."
3780339243_95c8363f49.jpg

After working on our presidential pitches for a while, we then moved on to West Bond and a leisurely lunch with a couple of guys from north of Boston, and took time to admire the view from the summit. "Like I said," Rocket commented. "The views are totally pathetic up here.":
3781156652_6b6eb394ee.jpg

Rocket then had another surprise for me. Apollo 11 didn't really land on the moon, he said. The whole thing was totally faked. "Hey, I'm not the kind of person who believes in tinfoil hats or grassy-knoll conspiracies, but that giant step for mankind?" he said. "It actually happened on the summit of Mt. Guyot":
3781159172_9d49f69177_b.jpg

I thought about that for a long while. Could it be? Rocket said he'd called it in to the Howie Carr show, so it had to be true. And he had been right, dammit, about Julio Lugo -- good riddance, Telephone Man! I was still pondering the mystery of it when we reached Mt. Zealand and Rocket handed me a sheet of paper. "For you," he said. "Congratulations."
3781160532_cc5b26ca1f.jpg

It had been quite a day. I learned that Dwight was only 99% sure it wasn't the real Benjamin Franklin at the office party. I learned why Jeffrey Tambor was having such a good time in prison. I learned why Howie Carr has to wear a big shoe. And I learned that sweet, gentle, mild-mannered Canadians named Bear tell the raunchiest that's-what-she-said jokes. But I had one thing to show Rocket. He'd given me so much this fine day, how could I not share with him the secret location of the magic White Mountain brook that flows with pure PBR?
3780352623_38714412dd.jpg

More photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/sets/72157621921034270/

Steve B
The Feathered Hat
[email protected]

Last edited:
Ever the Beautiful Bonds

Great report with great photos. Congrats on the 48...great place to finish...my favorite hike. Grumpygran

bonding

Great report Steve. You can wright my trip reports any day. Congrats on completing the 48.

Arrested Development, through Steve Holt, provided us with some great sayings for staying motivated on the trail.

"There's no 'I' in 'win'!"
"Don't ask 'can I?,' ask 'I can!'"
"You can control your bladder when you're dead!"

Great report and congrats on the 48!

Congratulations on #48! Great trip report...I'll try and post some additional photos in the next few days.

My ears are still ringing from all of the Michael Bolton and Meatloaf songs, though...I think some new cracks formed in Bondcliff when you (tried to) hit the high note in "When A Man Loves A Woman"

Thank god there are views on this magnificent hike..

that is a long day listening to dueling

Micheal Bolton songs and

bad three stooges/Arrested development Jokes

Congrats on your finish..there is no better place than Zealand:D

I've always thought it was curious that I never saw Tuckerman or Jeremy in the same place at the same time.

Congrats, FH, on the 48.

Awesome TR. Congrats on finishing the 48. Zealand may be a bit of an anticlimactic place to finish but not when it's on a day like you guys had. Hats off to you (no pun intended). I continue to be amazed by how fast people get across routes like this. Of course with Jeremy along it's not going to be slow...

Thank you, all of you, for the kind congratulations and words. For anyone out there who is close to completing a list, I highly recommend bringing Rocket along. He's a superb List-Server.

As for the "speed" with which we made the Bond Traverse, hah! Rocket was thinking 8 or 9 hours, I'm sure. We needed 12, due entirely to my slow trudging up the route's big inclines. But as I told him, fast or slow, the main thing is to have fun. And we had fun, lots. (That's what she said.)

Toward the end of the day we had an interesting series of encounters with the white-shirt-khaki-pants church crew that some of you others have met on the trails. We first ran into these kids, about a dozen or so, and their counselors as they were coming off Mt. Zealand and headed toward Mt. Guyot. They said they were going back to the hut. "Oh, Galehead," we said. No, they wanted to go to Zealand Falls. Fortunately, we got them turned around before they'd gone far.

Then we bumped into them again on the Twinway -- eating pizza. I must admit, pizza is not a food I've ever thought to bring on a hike.

Then down at the Zealand Road trailhead one of the group's counselors told us three of the kids and a couple of other counselors hadn't returned to the trailhead yet, so he asked us if we'd seen them. Nope. Both Rocket and I figured the missing persons had made a wrong turn at the junction with the A-Z Trail and would figure out their mistake soon enough. But Rocket had reached the trailhead maybe 15 minutes ahead of me, and the missing kids had to be ahead of him, so that meant they must've gone up the A-Z for at least 10 minutes and maybe longer. The counselor we talked to at the trailhead assured us the counselors who were out there with the missing kids "know these trails really well" -- but Rocket and I already knew that wasn't true. And no one in the whole group seemed to have a map.

We don't know how that story ended. I've not seen any NHF&G bulletins about an SAR for a church camp, so I assume the missing kids and the counselors with them made it out okay. But boy, what are these guys thinking? Yes, the Lord works in mysterious ways -- but not all the time.

A few more photos...

Apparently TheFeatheredHat only uses the metric system. Thus, he had a learning experience, courtesy the USFS:
bondsaug01.jpg

bondsaug02.jpg

The scramble just below Bondcliff:
bondsaug03.jpg

Lots of flowers on Bondcliff:
bondsaug04.jpg

While on Bondcliff, TheFeatheredHat continued to sing "When A Man Loves A Woman" - I'm not sure if he even knows any other Michael Bolton songs. At one point, we heard, from miles away, "Shut up! You suck!" After letting out a shriek, TheFeatheredHat pulled out his bonoculars and tried to find the source of the yell.
bondsaug05.jpg

For the rest of the hike, 10 miles, TheFeatheredHat interrogated every hiker we passed - "Did you happen to interrupt a beautiful Michael Bolton song?" While no one fessed up to it, one guy did say, "no, but I wish I had - that guy sings like there's a muffler embedded in his throat!" - after which I had to separate the two squabbling hikers.

Nice TR, it sounds like you had a blast.

Best way to bid farewell ever....say goodbye to these !! :eek:

Bonding

FeatheredHat,
Well done on completing your 48!
Yours and Rockets account of the trip really tickle the ole funny bone.
Now it's Tuckerman's turn to work on his 48's:D
Little D:)

Thank goodness Rocket was there to calm things down when that guy started making disparaging remarks. C'mon people, this is Michael Bolton we're talking about. Mi.chael Bol.ton.

I mean, who else would dare do an album of Sinatra covers? I've already swapped my new AMC 4000 patch for the CD. (Amazon wanted to just send me the album free of charge, said they had gazillions in the warehouse -- would I like two or 10 or 20 copies, perhaps? -- but I insisted on paying for one with my most valuable possession. Maybe Michael will have it sewn to one of his baggy sleeves.)

Meanwhile, thanks again for the congrats (which mean very much to me, please know). Tuckerman's already working on his "48" -- he's up to nine and he just turned 10 months, so maybe we'll get him to the end of the set by the time he's two or three. But we've got a lot of non-peak trails to explore now, too.

Last edited: