Bringing gas containers across the border?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doesn't work for airlines. had a horrible experience at Denver airport.
had hiked the grand canyon with an MSR whisperlite multi-fuel stove. had cleaned and washed the bottle as well as all gas lines. wife and I had backpacks on in the airport and that's all we had and the backpacks looked like they had been put to good use...
the check in person asked if we had a stove, and my mistake (honesty? legal obligation?) was that I admitted that we did...she said it can't go. We said we are CHECKING it in not boarding with it...she said, it can have traces of gas and that's not allowed. EVEN AFTER WASHINg.
I was SO FRIGGING mad...I can tell you recalling that incident still makes me mad.
we couldn't ship it to ourselves either because it was thanksgiving, and besides, USPS and FedEX won't ship it either if you tell them it's a stove. such bull crap.

Times have changed but before 9-11 when flying I used to pack and check full bottles of fuel. When they asked me at check-in I simply lied. Now I make sure the bottles are empty.
Pete, I often carry 50 gallons of fuel across the border. It's in my gas tank.