bushwacking now

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proszach

Reaction score
What's it like to bushwack in the Whites this time of year, including above 3,000 feet? Is it a postholing nightmare?? I wanna trek to Hawthorne Falls this weekend but only if it's not a complete craptrip. Thanks.

proszach said:
What's it like to bushwack in the Whites this time of year, including above 3,000 feet? Is it a postholing nightmare?? I wanna trek to Hawthorne Falls this weekend but only if it's not a complete craptrip. Thanks.
That part of Garfield Ridge gets a lot of snow -- I'd still bring snowshoes. Also, I was in that area (Gale River Trail) a few weeks ago and it was very wet and all the feeder streams were pretty high. I noticed a few washouts. I imagine that the going to Hawthorne Falls would be fairly soggy -- either snow or mud.

http://docs.unh.edu/NH/frcn32ne.jpg

What approach are you taking? What day are you planning on going. If it's Sunday and if you're planning on an early departure and if you're looking for a partner, PM me. I'm available that morning.

-Dr. Wu

Here's one tip: I used to do a lot of late spring bushwhacking at one time (3000 footers) and carried hard plastic snowshoes that I used just for the potential postholing conditions that you find at higher elevations at that time of year. Regular winter snowshoes (like Sherpas or Tubbs) tend to get torn up on the exposed brush and downed tree snags.