Byron Rd and Weld ME area trail conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Dad

Reaction score
I have suddenly found that my life allows me Friday afternoon in the Weld ME area. I am hoping to hike something in the area. My initial goal is a Little Jackson Tumbledown loop. There are a lot of other 1/2 day options around Mt. Blue State Park. I am interested in any road/trail conditions for this area. There are some nice 1/2 day hikes but a lot of them have potential access issues. Info on the following roads, trailhead access and trail conditions would be appreciated. Trying to guage conditions from MA isn't always easy.

Byron Rd- Access for Tumbledown Loop & Brook Trailheads
Morgan Rd- Access for Little Jackson Trailhead
Mt. Blue Rd- Access for Mt Blue Trailhead
Blueberry Mountain Bible Camp- Access to Blueberry Mt trailhead

I know from past experience that the Byron Rd can get funky in mud season especially as one gets past the Tumbledown trailheads on the way to Byron. I will be accessing this area from the Weld direction. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am limited in the time that I have available.

Thanks for the help

There's a "rock shop" in Byron Maine near the west end of the unpaved road that connects Byron and Weld and the Little Jackson and Tumbledown trailheads are on that road. It's called Coos Canyon Rock and Gift - their phone number is 207-364-4900.

I called them last week myself to ask about road conditions, and they said they weren't sure, but they advised giving the road another couple of weeks - they said it might not be gated but could still be rutted and very muddy.

I've also called the Byron Maine town office to inquire about road status - their number is 207-364-3194. They have very limited hours though.

bald mt.

make sure to check this one out, parking is on the side of rt. 156, no signage.. directions can be given @ mt.blue state park or the weld country store, I believe it's roughly 5 miles east of the country store.. (for me it's just a place I know and don't think about how to get there..) anyways don't have to worry about mud on rt. 156, great hike too.. blueberry, the rd. can be rough high clearance can help..

IMO the top 3 in that area are little jackson, tumbledown and bald.. mt.blue and blueberry are good to check out but don't command the views and of the other 3..

I did get to the Weld area last Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, I have not had decent internet access since. I found the Mt. Blue rd to be gated at the intersection of Center Hill rd. The Center Hill rd was a bit messy but passable. There had been a few inches of fresh snow which I am sure is long gone by now. Then I proceeded over to the Little Jackson trailhead off of Byron rd. Both of these dirt roads were in decent shape, in fact, I was able to get right to the end of Morgan Rd in 2wd (in my 4wd truck)

I had a wonderful hike through fresh snow, first tracks even though I started after noon. Up to the shoulder of Little Jackson it was fluffy snow with no base. Once I hit the shoulder, there was a solid base of ice until treeline. Once I hit treeline it was winter once again. There was a cold biting wind; lots of drifting and as I wasn't so prepared, I decided to turn back a few hundred feet from the summit. I will say that this is a beautiful summit that I look forward to repeating when I am a bit more prepared. The trail is well marked and looks like it will be good to go for spring hiking in just a short while.

Natron, thanks for the Bald Mt suggestion. If it is mentioned on the same list as Tumbledown & Little Jackson then it has to be worthy. I like the idea of the unmarked trailhead; less crowds-only for those willing to look a bit harder. Tumbledown is a gem. But; having been there on Labor Day weekend, I have no interest in ever repeating that again.

This is a beautiful area and I strongly suggest a visit to anyone looking for something a bit different.