Cabot, Bulge & the Horn - 2/6/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRUNR

Reaction score
Got messed up in Berlin finding Rte 110! Turned off it onto the York Pond Road and made my way to the York Pond Trailhead @ 9:46(34 & sunny). Had planned on going up the Unknown Pond Trail but started up the York Pond Trail @ 10:00 and soon found out it didn't branch off that trail. Rather than go back figured I do the loop clockwise instead.

Headed up the Bunnel Notch Trail. Another warm day and the snowshoes enjoying carrying xtra snow again! I didn't look for blazes as the trail was packed and easy to follow but did notice yellow blazes from time to time w/o looking for them. Stream crossing were no problem today. Got to jct with Kilkenny Trail in 1:42, there were tracks headed south on it to! Turned right on Kilkenny/off Bunnel 3 minute later. Joined the Cabot Trail after 1:55/3.4 miles.

Then it was a steady climb to the Cabin. Arrived after 2:38/4.4 miles and it was a welcome site! What a wonderful place!! Great views and super place to rest and refuel :) Tore myself away after 20 minutes and got to Cabot's wooded summit 11 minutes later. After 4 minutes headed for the Bulge which took another 27 minutes. Another viewless spot.

Got to the Spur Trail to the Horn @ 1:52pm. There wasn't a sign there marking the turn but there was a sign w/arrow pointing both ways for Kilkenny Trail...I could have easily missed it had it not been packed out! Reached the top in 13 minutes...how can a large boulder be sitting @ the top of a mountain??? Climbed up on top and was treated to 360 degree views!! Wow :) An incredible spot!!! Enjoyed the summit for 13 minutes before heading back down. To the jct @ 2:24pm.

The trail followed the contour quite a bit and as I got closer to the pond there were several small uphill sections.

Joined the Unknown Pond Trail @ 3:05pm. Heading down the trail I stopped to look @ the Pond briefly...pretty nice:) Soon went thru a stand of open Birches and could see the Presidentals in the distance, Neat! Then as the elevation dropped there were occassional bare spots! Reeeaaallly need more snow! Finally, took my snowshoes off and carried them the rest of the way. There was a fair amount of sidehill and a few easy brook crossings. The lower section of this trail was the worst part of the hike...glad I hadn't gone up this way.

Arrived @ the Unknown Pond Trailhead @ 4:29pm and walked the tenth of a mile to my car on the road. It had taken 6 hours 32 minutes to do the loop and covered 11.6 miles.

If you ever go on this section of trail be sure to take the side trip to the Horn! Incredible views with the right weather!

The trails were all packed and could be barebooted, if you were so inclined. The stream crossings were easy today. Saw no one all day. Another great day in the White Mountains...ahhh, life is good :)