Calling Portland, ME hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do yellowdog...

Saw your post about this weekend but we've got friends coming to town.

Hi gang,
I just moved to the Portland area last week and know about 2 people in this area. I would love to hook up w/ on the 12th....is this a dayhike? has a location been established---Goose Eye?

(yeah, yeah, I know, I gotta get an avatar up...I'm working on it!!)

Crooker, I am in Southern NH, but my fiancée (Ellen, has a few posts here and there) is in S. Portland, just over the bridge. (Highly recommend Beal St. BBQ if you haven't been).
Anyway, we are planning something for the 12th as well and were considering Mt. Success. We were up Goose Eye last year and loved the area.
So depending on how your plans shake out, we may either join you for the hike, or if nothing else, for the beer after (Moat Mt??).
I think it would be cool to see how hiking styles compared on a smaller hike like this. Not sure about "big miles", so we wouldn't want to hold you up on a long trip.

Hey Crooker,

Sorry I did no post sooner but I've been away over the long weekend. The trip up Goose Eye sounds nice and looking at the map we can make a nice loop of it. What do you all think???

-MEB

Maine"ish" Hikes in July

Hikes I have planned for July "in or near Maine":
7/3 (or 2): Puzzle Mountain
7/9: Goose Eye via Wright Trail
7/22: Meader Ridge (from Evans Notch)

Anyone interested in joining in, just let me know! I will be driving from my cabin in Oxford, ME.

MEB/Crooker/All,
I actually posted without looking at the calendar AND bone-headily missed the part about Saturdays being out. We are actually hiking the 11th and will likely do Success I guess. Sundays are out for us for now.
Anyone is willing to join us.
And also keep us in mind for any future treks.
We will be in Baxter June 16,17,18 doing the Katahdins, Brothers, Fort and Coe with a small group of friends if anyone is interested.

Finalizing

Sounds like Goose Eye on the 12th for a day hike is the plan.

MEB - I took a quick look at the map and a loop does look possible which is always a plus.

We'll be bring our two dogs...we'd be happy to let anybody ride with us but you might end up with either a beagle or a welsh terrier in your lap as I drive a station wagon.

We could meet at the Park and Ride lot right off 295 on Marginal Way so if not carpooling we could at least caravan. Or anyone can suggest a better spot...

Goose Eye! My favorite!! I would join you in a heartbeat, but have to drive to Jersey for a 50 year birthday party for my wife's best friend. I think of all the trail possibilities that I like the Wright Trail loop best. Enjoy this magnificent peak. I will be envious. Regards, Marty
P.S. Don't forget the bug juice and head nets!

Hi Crooker,

I think I may be staying at the camp in Bridgton that weekend so if I do we can meet someplace along the way and caravan to the trailhead. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

My dogs are going to be sooooo jealous! They're too big and somewhat high maintenance to take along!

SherpaK, if I like Goose Eye I may just join you all on the 9th again! The Meader Ridge hike also sounds nice and I might join you on that one too.

-MEB

crooker, sounds like a plan. can't wait to get out there!

Sherpa Kroto and Arm - I will let you know. Our family plans are kind of up in the air for that weekend. I would love to meet you folks and hike my favorite mountain with you. Like you Sherpa, I am blessed to have a cabin in Western Maine. Mine is in Rangeley Plantation.

Marty, Rangeley is an awesome place. We compromised with Oxford, but have never regretted it.

Sounds like a plan. eMail me from teh site, and we can go from there. There are others from here who will also be joining us, so we will probably be around 10 total. This will be 9th time up what was my first mountain. I love that place. (Never did the Wright trail though, so a red-line trip for me!)

Thunder Dan from Portland

I am also from the Portland Maine area and would be game for some serious hiking, depending on my schedule, which is rather hectic this summer with medical appointments, trips to Colorado and Alaska, and church functions. Fridays and Sundays are my most likely days to hike. I am working on the New England 4000-footers also.

Thunder Dan

On for this Sunday, 6/12

We are on for this Sunday. Looks like it will be me, my girlfriend and our dogs leaving from Portland. Yam also leaving from Portland and we'll meet MEB at the trailhead.

Anybody else?

Yam - do you want a ride or will you drive seperately?

Goose Eye via Wright Trail

I'm in and my sister is planning on coming as well.

What time do you want to meet at?? How does 9 a.m. sound???

-MEB

A couple of more details....9:30 meeting time at the trailhead so we should plan on leaving Portland at 7:30. And we will do the Wright Trail which should make for a great hike and shorter drive!

This sounds like fun. (of course I will ruin the hike.) Would I be able to snag a ride off someone if I met them some place in the Portland area?