Camping atop Mount Kearsarge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngblood

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a night ascent of Mount Kearsarge and camping in the fire tower. Having never been on the mountain I have a few questions: Is camping allowed in the tower? Do alot of people frequently camp out up there? How many people will it sleep? Is this a totally crazy thing to be doing at night having never been up there before? Any and all help on these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy Trails!!!!!

Youngblood

Always wanted to do that...

It's frequently used overnights, and what a great place to camp on a cold, windy night like tonight. The tower has big windows all the way around. It's about 12'x12' inside.

The trail should be easy to follow at night, especially after tomorrow because someone will probably hike through this fresh snow, leaving a nice track. Moon is well-positioned for the next week or so.

Happy Trails!

I met a Ranger on one trip who said that they considered the fire tower to be a shelter and that they had no objections to people overnighting there. I've thought of overnighting there myself; sunrises would be spectacular from there. The tower is fully enclosed and I recall that its about 12' by 12' maybe 10' by 10'. I don't think there's a water source nearby but there should be enough snow to melt.

The Mt Kearsarge North trail itself gains a fair amount of elevation over it's length but its never steep. I like it as a winter destination because I can take in the great views from the comfort of the tower.

I'd verify that the local ranger district is OK with the overnighting; I think its the SACO district (603) 447-5448.

Glenn

The cab is about 15' x 15'. There's a register that records overnight visitors. There weren't many entries last time I was there but a few noted spectacular sunrises. The nearest water supply is quite a haul. Probably a bit drafty up there in winter. But it's a great tower. The steps up to the cab may get snowed in very deep. Take a shovel.

Last edited:
I overnighted in the fire tower on North Kearsarge many, many years ago and it was a blast. We had a truly spectacular sunset that evening.

One thing I remember is that inside the tower, it sounded like the winds outside were roaring but as soon as I stepped outside, it was merely a mild breeze.

Another memory of that hike is my buddy had bought a new sleeping bag. Unfortunately he somehow ended up with a short and he's six feet tall. He had a very uncomfortable night.

Don't confuse this with Mount Kearsarge South. The fire tower there is locked in late October and you'd likely have to deal with the snowmobiles, as there's a trail that goes to the top of the mountain. I know a few people who like to go up there late at night, so you wouldn't get much sleep.

avoiding confusion

I believe the Kearsarge you are referring to is called Kearsarge North, proper name not used much but its Mt. Pequawket. The one in Warner south of Ragged is called Kearsarge, not Kearsarge south. I assume you are referring to the one up by North Conway.

The AMC actually wrote a paper on the true names of the two Kearsarges way back in 1877. They were trying to dispel confusion as to which was called Kearsarge first. It was decided that they both have ownership of the name Kearsarge.

Regardless for me it always been easier to call the southern one South Kearsarge and the northern one North Kearsarge or Kearsarge South or Kearsarge North however one wants. Just gets the mountain you're talking about clear right from the get go.

adamiata said:
Don't confuse this with Mount Kearsarge South. The fire tower there is locked in late October and you'd likely have to deal with the snowmobiles, as there's a trail that goes to the top of the mountain. I know a few people who like to go up there late at night, so you wouldn't get much sleep.

LOL, I’ve been planning to head up there for a quick night hike later on today as a matter of fact!

(Tobogganing down the road on the Winslow side at night is way too tempting.)

snowmobiles

the road goes up 3.9 miles i believe, but not to the top. the summit is reached from the scenic autoroad parking lot by a 20 minute book time trail. snowmobiles cant go up that trail i woudlnt think. you would be 1/2 mile or so from them, unless there is another way the machines could get to the top.

I was up there last winter and could not get the door open! Snow had accumulated on the inside of the door and melted and created a big ice block. :eek: So, I would bring a back up shelter just in case! There is a log book on the inside and from what I've read people do spend the night in there quite frequently!

Have fun. :)

-MEB

Snowmobiles can and do go up the Rollins Trail from the parking lot to the summit on a regular basis. If you go up during the summer, take note of all the scratches in the rocks on the trail. They're about a quarter inch deep, an inch apart, parallel to each other, and oriented on an uphill-downhill axis. The carbide studs on the snowmobile tracks make them when the snow wears thin in places.

I know the mountain reasonably well, I worked for the state park on the Warner side for 5 years. :)

hikerfast said:
the road goes up 3.9 miles i believe, but not to the top. the summit is reached from the scenic autoroad parking lot by a 20 minute book time trail. snowmobiles cant go up that trail i woudlnt think. you would be 1/2 mile or so from them, unless there is another way the machines could get to the top.