camping on Mount Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertjohkn

Reaction score
I am taking a friend camping in two weeks and I do not want to stay on any of the huts on Mount Washington. Does anyone know of any good legal/less than legal camping spots near mount washington?

There is no legal camping anywhere on the east side of the mountain (Cutler River Drainage) or above treeline (unless on 2' of snow) so your options are incredibly limited. Have you considered the Hermit Lake shelter and tentsites in Tuckerman Ravine?

Yes, I have considered the shelters however I would rather camping and not stay in a shelter. I know there are some spots from what I have heard and I am trying to find them.

People generally shy away from posting directions to illegal campsites.

There are 3 tent platforms at Hermit Lake. The next best option is on the Jewel trail, a short way below treeline, there are several hardened sites, but no water. You'll have to haul it up from the stream crossing about 1.5 miles below. There are places in the Dry River Wilderness, down the Davis Path or Dry River trails.

-dave-

There are several desiganted campsites on the Great Gulf Trail. The sites at the Wamsutta trail junction have been closed due to a fir wave. There are two more sites about 1/4 mile up the trail at an elevation of ~ 3200ft. These sites are about 4.75 miles from the Great GulfWilderness Trail head and described in the White Mountain Guide. The area is beautiful. Check it out.

Dry River Trail

Note: the Suspension bridge on the Dry River Trail (appro 3 miles from 302) is condemned. There are lots of camping sites past the bridge along this trail. One other comment: this trail can get real muddy.