Camping on the Kanc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
Looking for any input on the many campgrounds along the sunny and scenic Kancamangus Highway. I'll have a group of 5 for one night in late June. Here are the questions:
1. How early should we arrive to reserve a site?
2. Can I assume that 5 people can fit (2 tents...maybe 3) at one site?
3. Any recommendations on which to choose?
4. Any other thoughts?

I'll let everyone know which campground I'm planning on, so you'll know to avoid it. THANKS!

These are so close to home that I have stayed at only one, Jigger Johnson, chosen by friends because it's the sole WMNF campground on the Kanc with coin-op showers. The other basic difference is whether the campground operates on a reservation system or not. JJ does not, but it didn't matter for us because we got there in the morning. It was big and set back from 112 far enough that we did not hear traffic, especially motorcycle, noise all night. Here's the list with amenities and reservation/FCFS policies.

P.S. There were JJ sites with plenty of room for several tents. Look for ones at the back of the cmpgd to reduce traffic sounds. Also, you may know that at I-93 Exit 32, near the Visitor Ctr, there is a Kanc campground status board indicating what is full and what still has room. I have no idea how often it is updated.

Last edited:
Just there this past weekend.

The forest service allows for two cars per site and a total of eight people. The first car is included in the fee the second is $5 more. They sites ranged from $18.00 to $20.00 depending on location. The sites are big and should hold your number easily.

I'll vote for Jigger Johnson for the same reasons mentioned by Waumbeck. I'd get there early for a weekend but for a weekday I wouldn't worry to much about until schools close which will be soon.