Cannon & Kinsmen, 10/22/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kul45

Reaction score
At the beginning of this (hiking) year, I decided that pursuing the NH 4k'ers would help me organize my hiking. Nearing the halfway mark, for some reason I found myself itching to visit Cannon and the Kinsmen. Perhaps because I've driven through the notch so many times? Or because one can check off three relatively easily?

I knew Saturday's weather would likely preclude pause-giving vistas. On the other hand, I surmised that it would keep away the crowds.

I was able to depart shortly after 9am, and although cool at first in my capilene t-shirt and shorts I warmed up quickly as I climbed Hi-Cannon. Blue ribbon tied to trees irked me, but my knife was deep in my pack, so I let it alone, if somewhat guiltily. And then I found myself at a junction with the Lonesome Lake Trail. Quite wrong, as the map confirmed. Somewhere I had missed taken a wrong turn, and part of me desired to turn back to right that error. But, with evening commitments, I pressed on. The Dodge Cutoff allowed me to correct my navigational stupidity in time to enjoy the climb up to Cliff House and that two-by-four foot rail. All the while drizzle kept me from overheating and fog concealed the height of trailside cliffs.

Under the summit tower of Cannon I found a USGS pin with the words "Cannon 2" inscribed. For the second time, I cursed myself for not having brought a copy of the trail descriptions. Was there a higher "Cannon 1"? In the cloud, I could not see. So I wandered around, and satisfied myself, that whatever "Cannon 2" meant, I had summitted. On to Kinsman Ridge.

Near the top of the northernmost Cannon Ball, the rain started playing optical tricks. It seemed to become thicker. Could it be what I hoped? In a few minutes, Nature confirmed that I did not suffer delusions. Snow.

Kinsman Ridge goes up and down, up and down, as many of you already know. In the wet, I savored the rocks, trusting the purchase of my German boots. The log bridges proved treacherous once, teaching me not to enjoy the snow and drizzle too much, lest I place a foot without premeditation.

Other hikers were, for the most part absent, until I approached the top of North Kinsman, accompanied again by snow. Most of those I encountered had decided against the out-and-back to South Kinsman, citing the absence of views or the conditions. On the contrary, I found that the conditions made up for the lack of views. Something about drizzle, fog, and snow seems befit hiking. Submit to Nature and relish your submission.

Big Earl mentioned a surprising number of shorts & t-shirters on his hike on the other side of the valley. Surely they had slightly colder and windier conditions, but most of the time I was quite comfy. I had to wear gloves, then Dachstein mittens, b/c of my Raynaud's but otherwise only occasionally did I pull my 20-yr old (I realized as I hiked) fleece from my pack. How everybody else wore hard shells, I do not know.

On my way down the Fishin Jimmy I encountered more and more hikers with big packs. Apparently there was a women's group and some boyscouts. Leaving Lonesome Lake, I met many headed to the hut.

Another great hike.