Car Camping/Hiking an hour +/- from Albany...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
A few friends of mine are meeting at Albany, a central location for us now, in Mid June for some hiking and camping.

I don't know the area at all, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a place in the Southern ADKs or Greens where we can car camp and have good access to hiking...

We are looking to drive about 1 to perhaps 2 hours from the city...

Thanks in advance!

No Dis intended, but there's more options within an hour or two of Albany than a good book could include ! Catskills, Greens, Berkshires, Dacks...

Something fun with plenty of camping and entertainment options in the area would be Tongue Mtn on Lake George .

Last edited:
Chip said:
No Dis intended, but there's more options within an hour or two of Albany than a good book could include ! Catskills, Greens, Berkshires, Dacks...

Something fun with plenty of camping and entertainment options in the area would be Tongue Mtn on Lake George .

Thanks, good to know I have options then...perhaps I'll revise this to places people have had good experiences with, or personal favorites...

My inlaws from Glens Falls like Rogers Rock Campground, maybe 1.75 hrs from Albany and 20 minutes north of Lake George Village, right on Lake George, and close to the Tongue Mt range mentioned earlier. I was there with my family a couple years ago and it was nice, but not fabulous. It is close to lots of hiking of varying difficulty, and within an hour of the ADK High Peaks too. Seems like more people camp than hike in that area- it was crowded UNTIL we got on the trail.

BTW, don't underestimate the time it takes to get from the Whites to this area- I drove from Lake George to western ME for some peakbagging last year and it took FOREVER.

Last edited:
The Adirondack Loj Campground near Lake Placid, is about 2 hours from Albany, and would be a great base camp if you are car camping and want to hike. You won't need to drive anywhere, as the trailheads to many of the high peaks are right outside your front door. Plus, there is an information center there which might be helpful if you are unfamiliar with the area.

I'm with crazymama on this one. If your main goal is some serious hiking, then get where the action is and camp, rather than commuting back and forth to the mountains. Lake George is a happening place if you like waterslides, McD's, amusement parks and crowds and is an hour (OK, maybe 1.5 depending on traffic) north of Albany, but drive a bit further north for some great hiking.

As others have pointed out - east/west routes between NY and NE are rather slow. Much faster to go north/south.

Kevin Rooney said:
Lake George is a happening place if you like waterslides, McD's, amusement parks and crowds ...

Um, not really. The Queen of American Lakes is a bit more than the small southern end of the lake tourist trap Kevin refers to. I may be a multi-46er, but often choose hikes around LG over trips into the High Peaks area.

Free car camping in the Shelving Rock area with a maze of trails up to beautiful peaks, ponds, lean-tos, shoreline trails and swimming in places like Paradise Bay. The only waterslides nearby are Buttermilk Falls, and the nearest burger joint is a half hour away. For big mountains definitely head to the high peaks, but if you want a little fun hiking with lots of free camping a stone's throw away from great bays for swimming, easy bbq'ing on site grills, and a cooler arm's length away, check out the Rock.

Doc McPeak said:
Um, not really. The Queen of American Lakes is a bit more than the small southern end of the lake tourist trap Kevin refers to. I may be a multi-46er, but often choose hikes around LG over trips into the High Peaks area.

Free car camping in the Shelving Rock area with a maze of trails up to beautiful peaks, ponds, lean-tos, shoreline trails and swimming in places like Paradise Bay. The only waterslides nearby are Buttermilk Falls, and the nearest burger joint is a half hour away. For big mountains definitely head to the high peaks, but if you want a little fun hiking with lots of free camping a stone's throw away from great bays for swimming, easy bbq'ing on site grills, and a cooler arm's length away, check out the Rock.

Thanks ALL for the advice, this one sounds just about perfect for the hiking level of my friends! I'll look into it!

I'm with the Doc.
You can get to many of the Indian Lakes peaks from the LG area. Also nearby where you're staying is the beautiful Crane Mt, Tongue Mt Range, Black Mt, Sleeping Beauty, Buck, Pilot Knob and too many more to count.
The southern High Peaks(Dix Range, Giant Wilderness, and Ausable Club peaks are about 60-75 min away depending on where you're camped.

Not exactly on the topic, but I found the eastern LG mountains (Buck specifically) to be a great way to break my wife in to winter hiking (she liked it :) :) ). Her snowshoes might not touch 4Kers but she is fine with the 2.5 Kers in the area. Hike it in the summer, come back in winter for some REAL fun!

Weatherman