Cave Dog Here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cave Dog

Reaction score
Cave Dog Here

Members of Views From the Top have been very supportive of my adventures. I just wanted to say Thank You. Adventures are often a function of extremes. Not the least of which is that they cause a person to have some of the highest and lowest moments in a lifetime. Often when times have been low, and sometimes very low, there has been a member of Views From the Top that has given some encouraging words, either in writing or in person. You have been an inspiration for me to continue, and I Thank You.

Let me give you an example: I was having a difficult time on the Appalachian Trail in Vermont during the latest challenge. In the last sixteen days, I had fourteen ultramarathons on varied terrain. It did not allow for much sleep, and what sleep I was able to get was in a bouncing vehicle. It all culminated in Vermont. I was struggling to stay awake on the trail. Yet, there out of the blue, on the side of the trail, was an encouraging fungus message, “Go Cave Dog Drew”. I was running behind and ended up doing fifteen miles of the hike after dark by myself. But I had that fungus in my hand to inspire me through one of the most difficult nights of the challenge. Thank you Drew for being there for me. I hope that you find my return fungus message. That fungus is my most cherished memento from the adventure and is now under glass in the dining room.

What a fantastic adventure it has been. A fifty kilometer hike… that is a fairly epic hike and to do one in every state…wow. It is humbling to me. Sometimes I sit back and think of just how fortunate I have been to have such an opportunity. This challenge was my wish list of hikes from across the land. Many of these hikes I have wanted to do for over a decade, Cirque of the Towers, The Bob, the Na Pali Coast, and now I have had that opportunity.

It has to be recognized that I do not do these challenges alone. I have had help from literally over a thousand people from every corner of the country. I appreciate everyone’s contribution whether small or large because it was all necessary to the successful completion of such a large project. I wish I could thank everyone, but that is impossible. Let me at least thank Bob and the rest of the Marshall Family. The Marshall Family, even today, continues to be a positive force for our environment. It is less known, but they have also been staunch supporters of social justice and the betterment of the underrepresented. They have also been very supportive of The Dog Team. Thank you. Bob was the inspiration. He was the original. I often would look out at some jaw dropping view and think to myself, “Bob would have loved to be here, right now.” Thanks, Bob.

I hope that everyone enjoys our show, “Live Your Passion”, which airs today at 5:30 pm EST (2:30 pm for those of us on the West Coast) on the Outdoor Life Network (OLN). There are three episodes, one each Wednesday the 7th, 14th, and 21st. There will probably be a rerun later in the month. Give us an email to let us know what you think of the show: [email protected]. Even better, email OLN and Duofold and ask them for a longer time slot. We have the footage for it.

I tend to be too verbose; so, I will try to wrap this up. I will try to monitor this thread for a bit. If anyone has any questions for me, please shoot away. I am not shy.

From glaciers in Alaska to lava flows in New Mexico, from brilliant fall colors in Wisconsin to the drab colors of a cave in Kentucky, from a forty person hiking group in Michigan to the lonely sleepy night hike of Vermont, from the blizzard in Wyoming to the lighting storm in Arkansas, from a fantastic moonbow in Hawaii to the dozens of armadillos in Louisiana, it has been the makings of the memories of a lifetime.

Live the Dream,

Cave Dog

Right on Dog! Thats one helluvadventure! Thanks for the update. Cant wait to see the show:) See ya outside!

It's been a lot of fun following your progress. Thanks for being one of the stars for some of us to shoot for. You're a bonafide superstar in my book! Hope to meet you some day.

Nice Job, Ted!

Just finished watching the show. It was way too short. Just three shows for 76 days of hiking? You need a weekly series! Kudos to the production team. They must have left LOTS on the cutting room floor.

I didn't know you had your own theme song! Who wrote and performed it?

Do you have particular emails for Duofold and OLN, so that we can get to the right people?

Solstice Dog

Awesome job, Ted! Way to go. I just caught the last 7 minutes of the first show. I hope they repeat it!

You da man!

- darren

I just caught this thread so I missed the show. I will not miss the others. I'm still in awe over your 46er record. I love that you made it on espn.

vermont hike

i deer hunt that section of th AT and spent a couple of days moving beech blowdowns off the trail.waited on trail that day till 1 pm but you never showed.i also had a dvd of 48 the wonderful film by sherpa john.if you havn't meant him you should, he is a great kid and a wonderful friend and tough hiker who someday will break the record in the whites.i am glad you found the fungas.i haven't returned for yours but i will try soon.

Cave Dog,

The 1st episode of your latest adventure on the OLN was awesome! (loved the Teddy Cam) :) It was also cool to see the varied terrain you had to experience from Alaska to NM (my wife saw the Hawaii footage and said, "how come we haven't gone there yet?" Thanks for inspiring her! :D) Can't wait to see the other 2 episodes... Do we live in a beautiful country or what?

Please make sure you tell us when the repeat episodes will be. I didn't check in here tonight until after the show was already over.

Awesome job, you are really an inspiration. I missed the episode tonight, but I'll make sure to catch the next one.

"....from a fantastic moonbow in Hawaii to the dozens of armadillos in Louisiana, it has been the makings of the memories of a lifetime."

armadillos rule!

Best wishes, Dr. Dasypodidae

i saw it too!!

lot's of memories surfaced while watchin' that show. ahhhh, did i ever tell you about the time i was on the napali coast??? it was dec, 1987 and i just re-entered the u.s. after a year in asia and ...... :eek:!!!!
i was just askin' frodo where you went in hawaii this past weekend!!,i wanna go next time!! :D :D :D

Last edited: