Chafing...again.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Sale

Reaction score
Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
Sportslick, Bodyglide, baby powder, corn starch...so many remedies, so little time.

I did a search, but could not find exactly what I'm looking for.

I am talking about thigh chafing, I've tried Gold Bond powder and anti-perspirant to no avail. The powder doesn't seem to stay in place well when hiking. I do wear somewhat tight fitting polypro in the winter, but it hasn't helped. I'd rather not use a vaseline based lubricant due to messing up the polypro.

I also haven't seen the Bodyglide or Sportslick locally to give them a try and was wondering which one was better, or if there was another alternative that hasn't been mentioned.

I wholly expected to find blood after the Owl's Head trip, but was just severely chafed. In hindsight I was limping pretty badly not being able to bend my knee, but it's been a persistent problem all winter and I'd like to find a remedy.

Try REI for the bodyglide. That solved the chafing problem for me along with some polypro boxers. :D :D :D

I've used Bodyglide successfully for years not only to prevent chafing, but also to prevent blisters on my feet, as I mentioned in a post to another recent thread.

Runner's Lube is better, if you can find it, but you can't.

I use a pair of speedo type shorts. The go just about to your knees and the cover the entire inside of your thighs. Haven't had a problem since.

peak_bgr said:
I use a pair of speedo type shorts. The go just about to your knees and the cover the entire inside of your thighs. Haven't had a problem since.
Underarmour....thats what I use, with the same results as peak_bgr...

Lawnsale,
As a long time sufferer of either chafing and/or buttrash on longer trips in hot summer months I wholeheartedly agree with the bike type compression shorts (without padding) I personally like the New Balance shorts, they don't seem compress or constrict as much -I have gotten mine at Dicks Sporting Goods in the past - You can also try NBWebExpress.com.

I used Gold Bond (Medicated) for years with mixed reults, however, after we had our son, I happened on a tube of diaper cream and found that it was phenominal I used that up until a year and ahalf ago - While it can be used prophylactically I swear by it to releive the pain after hiking.

A year and a half ago, I started using Body Glide (along with the NB shorts and haven't looked back - In fact I now always keep the little tube in my daypack.
Hope this helps

I did a 10 hour hike 2 weeks ago without my compression shorts and ended up with a rash that lasted almost a week :eek: . I agree with the use of compression shorts, absolutely.

Try the glide, it is a life saver. Works fine by itself in the summer as well. Personally I can't deal with spandex type shorts in the summer. Glide comes in SPF 25 so you can use it for chafe, sunscreen, blister guard. Works well on nipple chafe as well. I found that going sans undies, kilt or not, made no difference in my chafe. Just made me paranoid of creepy crawleys.

Ibex Roaster Boxers in cold weather, Smartwool boxer briefs in warm weather.

Barry Sr said:
Ya, I did get a tic imbedded on one of my nads once. but overall it still works best for me.

That's the worst thing I've ever heard. :eek:

My combo is boxer briefs and a man-skirt (kilt) with Body Glide as an emergency backup. (I perfected this system this past summer after the infamous shaving my "upper thigh" and duct taping it somewhere in the hills of Virginia. OK, maybe that's the worst thing I've ever heard.)

Thanks, everyone, for bringing up the chafing thread again. :eek: It had wonderful humor content last time, and it has not failed us this time either. :D :D :D

Although I have never had a need for it, I am 99% sure I saw bodyglide at the DisGusta EMS today, in the little yellow bins, center of main aisle, right in front of the registers.....with your back to the registers, it's up, to the left, top or next to top row........roughly... :D

Mark, I put on a heafty amount of vasoline on my thighs before the Owl's Head hike to prevent chafing. I did it during the summer, but never got it, so I stopped doing it until I did the Kinsmans in February. I too was expecting blood and had to limp on a Cabot hike the next day (LOTS OF LOTION FOR THAT HIKE!!!). I'll tell you, the vasoline seems to work well for me!

It seems like the vaseline or bag balm would severely mess up the polypro and/or stain my hiking pants. Also, it wouldn't last very long in the summer due to the heat.

I have some biker's tights without the seat in them (I have a lot of biking gear as well), but don't know how much it'd help as the polypro was pretty tight fitting to begin with. Besides, the thought of those under my shorts at 96° isn't very appealing.

I'll have to give the Body Glide a try, and I'll look for the Runner's Lube as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Sugarloafer said:
I use Bag Balm and find it works great...good for long bike rides too. Sounds like this body glide stuff is pretty popular in here...I'll have to give it a try.

If I could get them to make Bag Balm with DEET I could probably avoid my other issues as well. :D