Chandeliers on Gordon Pond Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoAkela

Reaction score
These were by far the best "views" on the entire trip up to Gordon Pond. I was really happy with this particular shot, despite the blur on the first jewel due to me being a bit too close with the macro lens. :)

Looks like I saved this one differently than usual - you have to wait a bit for the full resolution to load....

IciclesHDR(small).jpg

Great subject!

The little diffraction-starred specular highlights add a great deal to this photo.

The out-of-focus icicle in the left foreground is somewhat distracting. More depth of field (DOF) needed by using smaller f/stop.

Alternatively, move the point of focus closer to the foreground to pull foreground in sharper, fading to out-of-focus in the background. The latter will create a more attractive impression of depth. (Old thumb rule for focusing closer than infinity: 2/5 of DOF lies in front of point of focus, 3/5 behind. Variant: 1/3 in front and 2/3 behind. Take your pick.)

G.

Thanks for the tips! I had the aperture at it's smallest setting - I was just too close to the first icicle! Unlike my old film SLR, it is so hard to tell how much of the shot is in clear focus on the tiny LCD or the small optical viewer on the digital camera, especially on macro shots, where the focus gets so pinpointed. Redoing this shot I would have gotten a few inches further back for better DOF and kept the left side out of the picture. Too worried about numb fingers dropping the camera in the brook! :D

I agree with Grumpy. Very good choice of subject. Overall I like the image, despite the distraction that you recognized.

The diffraction highlights add a very nice sparkle which is a most appropriate match to the subject. I also like the sparkling snow crystals at the top and bottom which also complement the subject.

Concerning your primary distraction. A general rule of photography with repeated subject elements; the element that is closest to the camera needs to be in focus. The reason is that the closest element will generally loom largest in the photo, and it will draw the attention of the viewer.

Another potential option to get that front element in focus; chose an angle where all of the chandeliers are more equally distant from the camera/lens. That would narrow the depth of field needed to have them all in focus. It appears that if you moved to the right this might be possible. But if you are working in really tight quarters it may well be impossible. Another option is to chose an angle where you could more easily crop out the distracting closer element. The closest chandelier appears to have a cloudy area at the lower left, and perhaps it would produce a more pleasing photo if it were eliminated from the photo.

If you were hand holding the camera and were concerned with using smaller apertures because the exposure time would become too long; Then use a higher ISO. Digital SLRs generally retain most of their sharpness and color quality with higher ISO settings.

With the image you presented I would also suggest cropping just enough off the top to eliminate the greenery in the background. That way the photo is all about ice and snow.

Edit: I was writing my post without seeing your last post. Some of what I wrote may not apply since you were already using the smallest aperture. But I will leave it as general advice to other readers.

Last edited:
The pic would still work if you cropped the oof out. Either way it looks nice.

Love it. Ice can be hard. Too often what I think will look great looks like nothing when I get home.

Kevin

Study and practice some of the techniques used to photograph glassware and crystal. Ice subjects like the "chadaliers" are very similar.

G.

Great subject capture! Very pretty! Thanks for posting, and for the constructive C&C.

Where does the purple color come from?

happy trails :)

I am guessing that the "purple" referred to is what looks blue on my monitor. It appears to be reflections of blue sky.

G.

I think it was my blue camera bag which was sitting on the edge of the brook. Next time I photograph ice with good lighting I'll bring along a bunch of color swatches for cool effects :)

I stand corrected on the source of the blue (purple) reflection!

Just goes to show ...

The idea of taking along color swatches to create effects in subjects like this could yield some interesting results.

G.

I really like this scene, and even with the good critiques above, I think it is photographed well. The hints of color really make the ice pop. The out of focus area is an afterlook to my eye...sure it would be better if it were sharp, but I think it is fine as is...

Nice work!