Cold Day on Hale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
Despite the cold temperatures and biting wind, Meb and I ventured out Sunday morning to bag Hale. We were looking for a quick hike that would get me home in time for the Pats game.

It was 6 degrees at the trailhead, brrrr. We didn't layer up too much because the initial part of the Zealand Rd is uphill. We wore our snowshoes the entire way. We played the alaphabet trail and mountain game, which helped pass the time on the road walk and before we knew it we were at the Hale Brook trailhead.

Here we made fresh tracks! This trail in the winter is one of my favorites. It's ascends steadily for the first half and then flattens out a little over the series of switchbacks. I found that in winter the views in between the trees was stunning, and yesterday's sun and wind blown snow made everything glittery and beautiful.

We reached the very windy summit and changed into dry clothes. I tried to take some pictures but the cold temperatures rendered my camera inoperable :( Meb showed me where the "trail" came out for the bushwhack from Gale River, and then we made fast tracks outta there! Coming down this trail in the winter is a blast. For me, it's the perfect amount of down hill slope, not too steep, but enough to get moving fast. We were back to the road in no time.

I spent the road walk out dreaming of food. The cold temps and quick pace was causing an incredible appetite to grow. Thanks MEB for going with me to get another winter peak. Almost there!!

That was an interesting and inspiring report. I say inspiring because you've convinced me that Lauky is about ready to do that one, at least on a day when it's not too cold.

Tell me though, you mentioned using snowshoes from the beginning. Was the road plowed up to the bridge? I was up there a few weeks ago and the logging crew was keeping the road plowed that far. In fact we walked out with the guy who plows the road. Or, are they leaving it unplowed now?

The road was plowed. There was a very thin coating of fresh powder, and I think Meb and I both go by "rather wear them than carry them" rule. I'm sure it would have been fine bear booting. A preference thing!

Little Sister said:
I tried to take some pictures but the cold temperatures rendered my camera inoperable :(
I meant to say before, that I also have had the same problems with that cold battery syndrome with my digital camera. I've rigged up a strap for my camera case so I can carry the camera under my jacket. That does help some, although a heaver coat would probably work even better.

Little Sister said:
thanks for the suggestion, although I might use the failure as an excuse to buy a smaller, more compact camera that will fit in my pocket :D
That sounds good, I won't discourage you from that. But it depends a bit on the design of the coat or jacket on how much help it will be to carry it in your pocket. On the really cold days it really helps to get some 'body heat' to keep it warm. Keep it next to your heart and you'll keep it warm. ;)

Another fun and frosty day! There is never a dull moment when I'm out with my favorite sister :) I wish we could have spent more time on the summit but we were turning into icicles :eek:

Great job on another winter peak!

-MEB

In general, you want to keep the camera at the outside temperature, and the batteries warm. If your camera takes AAs you should consider Lithiums which work better in the cold then NiMH. In any case, keep an extra set close to your body to stay warm and swap them as needed.

If you warm up the whole camera it may fog up when you expose it to the cold air. Or, more likely, fog up when you bring it back inside your jacket. This condensation can eventually ruin a camera.

Those are good tips. I can see where you're going with the idea of keeping the camera lens from fogging up etc. I guess I haven't had that problem because the lightweight jacket I usually wear probably doesn't keep the camera all that warm. It just barely keeps me warm. There has to be some sort of a compromise here, because not too many people are going to be willing to swap out their batteries every time they pull out their camera.

On the other hand, I've had all kinds of problems with the NIMH batteries. I'll have to give the Lithiums a try.

A trick to prevent fogging of the camera when you come inside is simply to put it in a reasonably airtight case, or a zip-loc bag, prior to coming inside. Make sure that case or bag is as cold as the camera, exposed to the same air as the camera, and then is closed as tightly as possible when you come inside. Then give it 1-2 hours to equalize temperature before opening it up and allowing the air to mingle.

This keeps the camera in a "bubble" of dry, cold air. Otherwise, you have the cold camera exposed to the warm, moist interior air which will then condense.

Little Sister said:
Coming down this trail in the winter is a blast. For me, it's the perfect amount of down hill slope, not too steep, but enough to get moving fast.
One time like you I made tracks in fresh snow going up, and nobody else came so I went down over my tracks. One down step was about 3.5 up steps where I measured it.

Thread Hijack:
A gift for finishing the 46, actually! So get out there and finish, will ya?

Useful Info:
There's a great camera thread going on right here comparing the leading Canon point-and-shoots and a few other brands. If you want small to fit in your pocket, read about the SD's, not the A's.

MichaelJ [u said:
Useful Info:[/u]
There's a great camera thread going on right here comparing the leading Canon point-and-shoots and a few other brands. If you want small to fit in your pocket, read about the SD's, not the A's.

So what's up MJ? When I tried to access your link not only was I refused entry, I was threatened with 40 days in the slammer for trying to get in. ;)

Ah, are you not a member of the Photography Forum here on Views? That's where that thread was. You have to "opt in" to that forum in your User CP.