Coreys. Seward and Seymour.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
What is the best route to Coreys from route 87 coming from the South?
Is there any road closures due to the flooding that we should be aware of to try to gey up there by Friday evening?

Since I'm on a roll.
Any concerns with high water in the area of access to Seward and Seymour Mts.

Thanks

There are some streams that you do need to cross on the trail to Ward Brook or even the Calkin's Brook turnoff. Usually, they are easily manageable but this past winter, Tmax managed to fall in one of the more dicey ones which was ice and snow covered and was somewhat thawed out.

As far as the best way there, we were coming from Keene Valley so we went through Rt 73 to the cutoff around Lake Placid (old military road) and then through Saranac Lake to Corey's. I don't know if there is any better way though..

Jay

Check out the Seward Range thread on ADKHighPeaks. Cold River Bob just came out yesterday (cut his trip short) . In an email he described crossing water from knee deep to waist deep to get out. He said he'd never seen anything like it back in there. The water at duck Hole was about a foot to a foot and a half below the dam.

Hopefully he'll see this and give you some more details.

Doodles said:
What is the best route to Coreys from route 87 coming from the South?
It's a bit of a toss-up. I would probably get off exit 29, and head west to Long Lake, up to Tupper, then the few miles over to Coreys.

Not too much of a difference between that and going through Placid and Saranac Lake, but you're likely to have less traffic.

Coreys: One time, while crossing the border, I was asked where I was going.

"Coreys."

"Who is Corey, and where does he live?"

I came out early yesterday. three days of it, From wb to the trailhead if it wasn't underwater it was mud ankle deep, We crossed streams from knee deep to waist deep, In my ten years of going back in there I have never seen water like this, The Cold was so hight that the Npt was under water, The noise of it going threw the canyon souned like a jet taking off.you could hear it all the way on the Npt trail. I left at one and it was still rainng. You might want to wait a while to go in , There is a lot of water on those Mt. to come off.

keb just posted a link on another thread where you can find out about road closures. Oh what the heck. I may as well repeat it here.

As for the best route to take assuming all roads are open, try mapquest or randmcnally.com. I think from my home in Eastern Massachusetts, it was shorter to take the southern route, through Long Lake, but I don't remember any exits or anything now, and we’ve never driven there directly anyway. You should be able to select either a route that is quickest in time or shortest in mileage.