CVR-Sugarloaf-Spaulding-Abraham-Caribou Pond-CVR loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
I figure some might want to use this route someday, so I'll post what I found doing this loop and bushwhacking off the AT and back down to the CVR.

Day 5 of a 6 day, 14 peak blitz into Maine. Feeling weary and run down from the wicked winds atop the Bigelows the day before, I sleep in, lounge around the truck, eat a nice omelet, and chat with the bowhunting bear hunter. Learned lots of great bear facts, though was a little unnerved by his tales of shooting a 496# bear just last year. I guess it meant I wouldn't run into him later that day during my planned bushwhack down to the CVR from the ridge.

The AT up to the Sugarloaf was steep but full of awesome ledges and increasing views of the surrounding peaks and valley below. Most impressive was the headwall of the small cirque below the AT on the CV side. I chatted with TDawg and his hiking party at the junction, then made the short but steep climb up to a cluttered ski area summit, complete with communications towers, ski lifts, and the huge warming hut/AT hut perched on the northern end of the summit. Lots of junk, but lots of incredible views. I hope to ride the slopes some winter, and at the pace I was going that day, that could have come before I got off the mountain.

I look at the long ridge out to Abraham, followed by a glance at my watch and at the map kicked me into gear finally. I still had a pair of 4Ks, lots of trail, and then a bushwhack through unfamiliar and seldom visited territory awaiting me as day slipped through my fingers. Spaulding came soon enough, and a lunch of some smoked turkey and the last of my fresh mozzarella put some zip back into my sloughing stride.

It was after 2 and the trek towards the Abraham spur became a battle of prudence and desire. Abraham looked awesome, and this was a perfect day to climb out to it. And it would complete a sweep of the ridge from Saddleback to Sugarloaf. But there was the fire wardens trail, and starting a blind solo bushwhack at 5 was not the smartest idea in the world. Back and forth went this argument, with both sides posting solid defenses.

I decided I would wait until the Abe Spur, and look for the side trail Askus3 had mentioned. He hadn't been on it personally, but had been told it did head right down to the CVR. That would make the decision easy. And at 3:10 I hit the junction, and sure enough there was a path blocked off by logs that was as distinct as the AT itself. I took one look at it, groaned at the sign which stated 1.7 out to Abraham (I had remembered 1.4!) and blasted off toward Abraham with the full confidence that I had a trail running straight to the CVR and wouldn't be doing any evening bushwhacking.

4:00 I hit the awesome summit of Abe, and after ten minutes exploring and drinking in the sights I turned and headed back. My goal was to make the path, gobble down some food and drink and have made good and heartening progress by the time the clock struck five. The first half went as planned. 4:10 off the summit, 4:45 at the junction, and 4:55 fed and watered and heading down the solid trail.

4:58. The trail, as defined as you would want, is now veering in the opposite direction as the pond. Consult map. See the Oberton Truck trail ahead of this direction. Is that where we are heading? Remember Audrey saying they met someone on the loop around the pond who had rode his dirtbike along a road from the south to the pond loop. Maybe this hits that, which hits the other and all would be hunky. Take two steps, see another much fainter trail heading in the direction of the pond. Confirm with the compass and abandon the first trail in favor of this trail. For it must be the one.

5:03. The new trail starts out great, occassional blue ribbons lead along a distinct path through wide open woods in the direction I want ... until ... 5:10. The path again veered away. Heads toward a large area of clear cut with low growth and lots of logs underneath. And is heading straight toward Saddleback and the Horn. I decide to stop screwing around with these paths and go by map and compass and whatever visual landmarks I could make out.

Watch is now away for good luck, and I'm off through nice open woods, but with tall trees and no views. Come across another huge swath of clearcut. This one is filled with berry bushes as far as the eye can see to the East and West, but is only 100 yards wide. Climb over a few blowdowns and stop. The strong wafting odor of wild bear hits me in the middle of some blackberries. Whack my poles together a few times, thoughts of 496# bears and camo decked bow hunters spin through my mind. And there was that big canine/feline? footprint I saw earlier, and what and when is that Moose rutting thing I've heard about... Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. With the ridge behind me and the Reddington spike now clearly where I want it ahead of me, off I scramble.

No problems through the bushes, or through the next set of open woods. I find deer and moose paths and know they will lead to water and the pond. On the far side I get to a section of thick Scotch pines. Check compass, decide to blast right through them and hope they aren't too thick or last too long. Looking for a hole to enter them I see a solid path. Pure moose, as in a stampede's worth of them. This leads me right through the pines, and on to: An old logging road! Totally overgrown but heading right to the pond. At times a drainage, at times crossing over drainage after drainage, the entire time full of wildflowers and distinct set of very large moose prints.

Down this road drops, at times becoming a full animal thoroughfare. At one drainage I found moose, deer, fisher, and coyote (very large!) tracks side by side. Awesome views of the ridge above, Spaulding, peeks of Abraham, Saddleback, the Crockers. Nice views everywhere. This pond loop road was awesome. But I guess it wasn't the pond loop. For I soon ran into a more defined gravel road. Which actually soon lead into another gravel road, which was the pond loop, for I was soon crossing the creaky bridge over the Carrabasset.

Before I knew it I was crossing the other shaky bridge and then cheering my arrival at my truck at the first fork after the AT crossing. Check the watch, and to my surprise and delight, it's only 6:20! From the summit of Abraham to my truck in 2:10. With great terrain the whole way and gorgeous views, you can't beat that.

So, the Abraham spur to Caribou Pond Loop Road gets the huge thumb's up from me. Thanks to everyone who added their thoughts when I asked for beta on dropping off the ridge. Most mentioned routes closer to Spaulding. Here's another option, and a sweet one at that.