Day Hikes from Zealand Hut?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H3AdBaBY

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan my annual family trip to the White Mountains. The team consists of my 73 year old father, my brother, sister and myself. This will my my sister's first trip to the Whites as well as her first winter outing.

Although I'd prefer to tent camp and spend maximum time above treeline circumstances have dictated we make use of more established facilites. So far we've stayed at Hermit Lake, Gray Knob, Crag Camp, Carter Notch and the old Crawford Notch cabins. This year I'd like to go somewhere new. I'd like to spend a few days at Hermit Lake and make an attempt on Mt. Washington and then spend a few days snowshoeing at either Lonseome Lake or Zealand Notch huts.

I haven't spent much time in the Pemi and wouldn't mind bagging a 4000 footer or two. Other than the view from Zeacliff, are there any moderately strenuous day hikes from the hut?

The obvious others would be any or all of Tom, Field and Willey, or Hale. Guyot has great views and is not much farther than Zealand. Even a single Bond gets rather ambitious, but the views from any are spectacular.

You may want to look at my Zealand Hut page for distances and elevation gains.