Death Valley Buttes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
A short trail-less run/scramble ( photo scouting) over two lovely buttes overlooking Death Valley.

From Hell's Gate I saw a faint footpath about 1/2 mile away snaking up the foot of the lowest (1st) butte, and headed straight for it from the Hell's Gate pulloff ( coming from Beatty, NV) across mostly open/scrubby desert. (A windy dust storm was brewing in the valley, which kind of put the brakes on wildflower photography for the afternoon.)

The footpath quickly gains the ridgeline over steep, loose rocks and scree, and more or less stays on the ridgeline to the summit of the first butte. The fragrance of desert wildflowers is very strong right now in the park- it smells very much like a floral shop but with spicy sage-like notes - heavenly! The route then drops steeply down to a rolling saddle before the much steeper ascent of the second butte, which sports a Matterhorn-like summit. The route now winds through more loose rock and lovely shattered chocolate boulders, with a few exposed scurries through notches in the ridgeline ( a bit like the Knife's Edge on Katahdin, perhaps?) Golden Evening Primrose, Rock Daisy, and Notch Leaf Phacelia are everywhere, with an occasional barrel cactus.

About 45 minutes up, 1/2 hour down as a trail run - it would be a great easy dayhike if you have a few hours to spare, and you will most likely have the buttes to yourself...and the view of the Valley is one of the best in the park.

I'll Take Flowers or Snow..........

It does sound wonderful Tim..........But I was just saying to a friend, during our really super Tele-shoe down South Hancock this weekend, I can't even think about the coming season of fondling the flowers while playing in all this glorious SNOW! Our world was ladden in White powder, knee deep at times, but this is what we have been waiting for.

Get a few photo's of one of my favorites please - Penstemon. Blue would be my choice, but these flowers are beautiful in any color. Enjoy!

Cath,

Did you do the Hancocks during/after the big snow on Saturday?

If so, which route. the loop?

cb

Southwest

Tim, if you have an opportunity to post some desert wildflower pictures it would be appreciated!! While we have lots of great spring snow here in the Northeast some signs of spring would be welcome……

H.

Hollywood,
I am just finishing up my trip here ( finale was yesterday's 37 mile run on the California Riding and Hiking Trail in Joshua Tree NP), and should have plenty of tales and pix in about a week. :D

Very good then! I look forward to the wild flower picture show!

Be careful with long distance running. It's better to swim and stay closer to the feeding tube.

H.