Devils Path Dayhike May 11 - 13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthNsky

Reaction score
camping will be at Woodland Valley.

The hike will go down on Saturday May, 12th.

Start before 7am at Platte Cove Road and finish at Spruceton Road.

This is a trail run type of event, if you plan to attend, please be in excellent physical shape. The Devils Path is one of the hardest trails anywhere.

more info and sign up can be found here:
http://thebackpacker.com/trips/trip/1060.php

That must be the first weekend Woodland Valley is open! Sounds like it should be a DP trail run, not really a dayhike. When I ran my dayhike for TBS, we camped at Devil's Tombstone, but we had organized shuttles to Prediger and stuff and it was easy for the volunteers to setup lunch and food and ice cream at Notch Lake there..

Good luck, have fun, I'll try to stay out your way if I'm on the DP then. :) You guys and gals should wear devil horns too, it's a requirement if you're doing the entire trip. :p

jay

yeah, from the looks of it, Devils Tombstone is not open, but Woodland Valley is open. Devils Tombstone works better logistically, but Woodland Valley does have hot showers... :) .. Yeah, for all practical purposes, it will be a trail run more than a dayhike.

Now to find a place to get Devil Horns.

Is there a chance that you will be on the DP that weekend? If you see a sudden flash go by, it's probably Pennsy.

I just checked out that link. Looks like a definite good time. If I wasn't already committed to another trail race that Saturday, I'd be in. (Although in the race I'm doing, I won't be worrying about checking my pack for rocks or Spaghettio cans. ;) )Have a blast. Take a couple running steps for me.

Last edited:
Bummed I won't be able to make it this year. Wishing you guys good weather. Have fun!

P.S. I'll give you a dollar if you take a birch branch to Pennsy's knees so he doesn't break my time from last year.

I bought about 30 of the devil horns for my charity hike. I found a place that sold them online for like $1 each, for sure, from some sweatshop in China, but I was the only one who wore it for the whole hike, wore it to dinner, wore it to breakfast on sunday... and then wore it for the 3500 dinner the next year....

I wont know where I'll be that weekend, Is that Mother's Day? If so, then I'll probably be with my mom (can't miss Mother's Day!!!)

Jay

Jay H said:
I wont know where I'll be that weekend, Is that Mother's Day? If so, then I'll probably be with my mom (can't miss Mother's Day!!!)

Jay

It is Mother's Day (5/13), and I hope I know where you will be on 5/12! It's not the Devil's Path, but it is 38 miles!

Fred

I may be up for this run. Don't know yet though as I leave the Wed after that weekend for 12 days of alpine climbing on Rainier, N Cascades and British Columbia! That may be too much of a big run to do before heading out west.

Is there an option to do this in 2 days or is it all or nothing?

abster - the plan is to do the entire trail on Saturday, or atleast half of it, if you get off in Devil's Tombstone. I think Sunday, people will be pulling out pretty early for Mother's Day.

artex and early bird - sorry you both can't make it. I hope to meet up with you guys sometime soon!

hey Mountain goat - hope you can make it! It turns out that I will be doing Mt. Rainier in July.

Rainier

Wow! Good luck on Rainier. I hope you post a trip report on that. I'd like to hike the Wonderland Tail at some point.

EarthNsky said:
did you register on trailtalk?
I thought I was registered... guess not. Anywho, I've committed to the hike/run, although I may need to head home Saturday evening (so the wife can sleep in on Mother's Day :D) Regarding water: are there plenty of areas to refill, or should I anticipate carrying a few liters?

100 posts woohoo!

there is water in the notches. I usually take 2 water bottles. We also stash water at Notch Lake in Devils Tombstone.

Some sections of the Devil's Path have severe blowdowns from the Nor'easter.There is some info.posted by the DEC. I just wanted to give you a heads up.Some info can be found on the Catskill 3500 yahoo forum and adkhighpeaks.com. and q+ a New York forums here.

Last edited:
Will you guys still be attempting this event on the 12th?

I was thinking about attending, but after climbing Hunter and Slide last weekend and seeing the trail conditions, I didn't think it would be an enjoyable "trail run".