Disney does Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluethroatedone

Reaction score
This has got to be a joke right?

http://www.mickeynews.com/News/DisplayPressRelease.asp_Q_id_E_11285Thrills

Disney Imagineers have ventured to the top of the world -- into the mysterious and foreboding Himalayas -- for exciting new theme park thrills that will open in spring 2006.
The debut of Expedition Everest at Walt Disney World Resort completes an exploration so thorough that theme park guests will become immersed in the culture and spirit of the Himalayas -- complete down to the details of Nepalese architecture and vegetation ... and up to the peaks of excitement aboard a train that races backward and forward through icy canyons and caverns.

While one of Florida's highest mountains was rising to a summit nearly 200 feet above Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park, the Imagineering team wrapped up more than six years of research with an extraordinary expedition to the mountains of the Himalayas to explore the legendary "realm of the yeti." Conservation International and Discovery Networks joined Disney on Expedition Everest: Mission Himalayas in the search for new species and ancient legends.

"This extraordinary expedition is another example of the lengths to which Walt Disney Imagineering will go to research subject matter in developing our story lines," said Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo. "Our passion for bringing great stories to life has taken Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to amazing places over the past 50 years. Over the next 50 years, we will continue to scale new heights in our ongoing quest to create great experiences for our guests."

Indeed, Expedition Everest is a bridge between the first 50 years of Disney theme parks ... and the next. The opening represents a major addition to Walt Disney World Resort as part of the "Happiest Celebration on Earth," an 18-month jubilee commemorating a half-century of Disney parks around the world.

And in creating a new adventure for the Florida resort, the Imagineers trekked halfway around the world for just the right story to tell on six acres of land in the Asia region of Disney's Animal Kingdom.

"Our Imagineers journeyed to Nepal a number of times, immersing ourselves in the legends, lore and heart of the place," said Joe Rohde, creative executive, Walt Disney Imagineering. "Our goal was to create an authentically detailed environment that reflects the culture and traditions of these Himalayan countries we explored during our research."

Disney designers, architects and creative storytellers visited areas of Asia near Mount Everest to study local cultures, traditions and architecture. Thousands of photographs and hours of video were collected of Bhutanese and Nepalese culture, villages, homes, public spaces, architecture, trees and plants. Team members visited Buddhist temples and shrines, trekked through the foothills on donkeys, and spent hours talking with locals to learn about their beliefs and traditions.

The result is evident in Serka Zong, the mythical village created at Disney's Animal Kingdom as part of what Imagineering calls "placemaking." The village consists of several buildings, including a hotel, Internet café and trekking supply store, all reflective of today's Nepalese architecture.

The team studied Tibetan and Nepalese building materials and a technique called "rammed earth," where slightly moistened dirt is hammered with mallets until it acquires the consistency of adobe. The buildings created in Disney's Serka Zong appear to have been transplanted from the Himalayan region, complete with the wear and tear expected from the elements in a harsh environment.

Of course, the look of "age" is the result of Disney wizardry. Artists used hammers, chainsaws and blowtorches to "age" wood and buildings in the village, giving them the appearance of being longstanding parts of the landscape.

The natural landscape of Expedition Everest was created specifically to evoke the lowlands surrounding Mount Everest. More than 900 bamboo plants, 10 species of trees and 110 species of shrubs are being nurtured and planted to create an authentic environment around the village and mountain.

The natural environment of Disney's Animal Kingdom reflects the supremacy of nature: Trees often overwhelm buildings, and plants are often left in their wild and native condition with minimal trimming. Landscape architects spent years searching for gnarled, crooked and unusual trees that would thrive in the Florida climate while calling to mind the look and feel of Asia.

And then there's the mountain -- a marvel of artistry and engineering; the apex of Disney's decades-long penchant for making mountains out of stories.

The process began with sketches, then small paper models that quickly evolved into sculpted clay and finally, foam models. As the concept evolved, the models became more detailed and larger in size. When the final design for Expedition Everest was complete, the 6-foot-tall model was scanned into a computer using laser technology.

The resulting digital computer files were then used to create and bend some 25,000 pieces of steel needed to create the massive structure nearly 200 feet tall. The mountain contains about 1,800 tons of steel -- roughly six times the amount in a traditional office building of the same size.

Trekkers and climbing enthusiasts know that Everest is the "far" peak in the mountain range, and often difficult to glimpse. So in order to achieve a realistic portrayal of Mount Everest, Imagineers applied a trusted technique known as forced perspective. The mountain's closer features along the bottom are detailed and massive, becoming smaller near the peak, giving guests an unexpected sense of height and mass. Artists provided the final touch of realism when they created depth, crevices and shadows by essentially painting a mural across the mountains.

Interestingly, some of their brush strokes resulted not from their journeys to the Himalayas, but from treks to the Wasatch Mountain range in Utah, where they painted and studied the rock formations which are very similar to the Himalayan ranges.

But ultimately, the fun of Expedition Everest is the story. The legend. And so came the final research adventure to the Himalayas, culminating all the years of study.

While scientists from global conservation leader Conservation International and Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park searched for undiscovered species likely to live in remote regions known as biodiversity hot spots, Imagineers investigated the powerful legend of the yeti.

"We have researched cultural and spiritual legends through local people who have reported sightings of the yeti, and governments who preserve pristine lands in the name of the creature known as 'protector of the mountains'," Imagineering's Rohde said.

In a region featuring some of earth's biologically richest and most threatened places, the team of internationally renowned biologists, botanists and technical experts accompanying the Imagineers conducted a scientific inventory of plant and animal species.

Discovery Networks, renowned for compelling, real-world storytelling, tracked the expedition and plans to share the unique adventure story with audiences throughout the globe this spring in conjunction with the premier of the theme park attraction.

And the story will continue to unfold for guests at Disney's Animal Kingdom, a park that embodies a respect for nature and all living creatures, both real and possible, in an authentic, carefully nurtured environment.

The attraction Expedition Everest is a high-speed adventure that combines coaster-like thrills with the legend of the yeti. Guests board an old mountain railway destined for the foot of Mount Everest. The train rolls through thick bamboo forests, past thundering waterfalls, along shimmering glacier fields and climbs higher and higher through the snow-capped peaks.

But suddenly the track ends in a gnarled mass of twisted metal and the thrills intensify as the train races both forward and backward through mountain caverns and icy canyons and guests head for an inevitable face-to-muzzle showdown with the mysterious yeti (known to some as the abominable snowman).

The attraction features Disney's FASTPASS, offered at no charge to park guests and designed to reduce wait times at popular attractions in all four Walt Disney World theme parks. Expedition Everest has a height restriction of 44 inches.

Imagineers? Give me a break.

I see bored, chubby kids listening to tunes on their I-Pods standing in line for the plastic Everest and I hear Sir Edmund either cursing or crying if not both.

Reading that conjures up images of the tourists who take the the cog-train up to Mt. Washington and pose for pictures on the summit as if they climbed it. :p

Artex said:
Reading that conjures up images of the tourists who take the the cog-train up to Mt. Washington and pose for pictures on the summit as if they climbed it. :p

While hikers like us have to wait 5-10 minutes for a summit shot behind some over-weight lady in heels with a crying kid, only to get a backround of people in jeans and sneakers [end rant] :eek:

Give me Mt. Adams any day :)

The actual Florida highpoint (Britton Hill, 345') will still be taller, but with only a 50' walk and 2 feet of elevation gain it makes the new Disney Attraction the most challenging thing to climb in Fla. The Disney Attraction will also now be the 2nd highest point in the state, which drops Janet Reno to number 3. :D

I'm just jealous that my boss doesn't send me to Nepal looking for Yeti.

I just can't tell the difference...

everest_071105_5_small.jpg
169.jpg

You people are harsh. It sounds like fun to me. Didn't any of you ever take your kids on the near-obligatory Disneyworld vacation? Yes, I know, it's better to get them out into the real woods and mountains, but still...

Places like Disneyworld exist and a lot of people enjoy them. Is a taste of Nepal - however ersatz it may be - such a bad thing???

I agree Giant, I thinks its funny (and great);

People, IT's DISNEY here. They're in the entertainment business. When you watch the Lion King nobody actually thinks the animals stand around the savanna signing and dancing, and I'm fairly certain the execs that created it knew you wouldn't either. I view it as all in good fun.

Ditto for Universal Studies, Busch Gardens, et all. I recently was at US's Islands of Adventure. I rode the new Hulk roller-coster and my first thought wasn't........ "HA, do they really think that this is what the transformation from man to an uber-muscled super green creature would feel like, boy are they waaaaay off ". :rolleyes:

I say if Disney wants to make a few ca-zillion dollars on some plastic Everest replica promoting the Tibetan way of life and the plight of the Sherpa people. So be it. As long as its at there glitzy little THEME park and not in the actual wilderness areas we know and love, I'm cool with it. It's likely the closest I'll ever get to it.

** PS ** - I'm assuming the initial post and follow-up replies were all tongue and cheek, and my response is likewise meant to be :D . But, In a moment of seriousness though, Upon first read, it was not exactly clear to me. Not sure how this is connected to NE hiking either ??

Last edited:
Reactions: ken
Good question

To be honest, not really sure what I think about it. You make good points, if this makes a few kids think/dream about Nepal and the mountains that's probably a good thing.

On the other hand, I do find it pretty funny that they're making this and a part of me does find it somewhat pathetic that many people will take kids to a plastic mountain (that doesn't look much like the real thing (See Avatar for real thing) rather than the beautiful wilderness around....

Although :p , after experiencing the zoo that is Yellowstone, maybe (and highly selfishly) I'm glad that most of America never steps foot in the wilderness I enjoy so much.

Sleeping Giant said:
Didn't any of you ever take your kids on the near-obligatory Disneyworld vacation?

You know, I always felt guilty about that. I never took my kids to disneyland. All of their friends talk about it. Their cousins as well. I took my kids to the woods and climbing a lot, but never to Disneyland.

Last year, I asked a 20 year old, and he said it didn't bother him, but maybe he was just saying that so he wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I never went to Disneyland when I was a kid, even though most of my friends/cousins/relations went. I never felt the draw that they did for one thing.

I would have rather spent the week running around our camp building forts, catching snakes and frogs, finding the one spot where jack-in-the-pulpit grows, and sitting around the campfire at night.

I don't plan on taking my kids (that I don't have yet) to Disneyland, I think they're making enough money already without donating some myself.

My 2 pennies: The mountain looks nothing even remotely like Everest, you'd think they could at least do a decent charicature...

(Sounds like I would have done just fine as one of Pete's kids. :D )

Pete_Hickey said:
You know, I always felt guilty about that. I never took my kids to disneyland. All of their friends talk about it. Their cousins as well. I took my kids to the woods and climbing a lot, but never to Disneyland.

Last year, I asked a 20 year old, and he said it didn't bother him, but maybe he was just saying that so he wouldn't hurt my feelings.
I never went nor did I did I take my kids. I told them to forget about it forever and that it was never going to happen. No guilt, just the knowledge that father knows best :D

Now, here's a fun ride:

Put a few youngsters (ave. age 4) in a canoe. Put 6-12 inches water in canoe.
Now, the parents stand in waist deep water one on each side grasping gunwhales (sp?).
Using all available force swing the canoe back and forth creating amazing currents and sending water splashing everywhere.
Note unlimited squeels of delight as the sun bakes your shoulders and the kids yell, "Again!"

For some reason this works best on deserted beaches far away from civilization.

I have taken my nephew (3) and niece (6) to Disneyworld....they had a blast.

I have taken my nephew (3) and niece (6) in the woods...they had a blast.

You don't have to knock one experience to enhance another.

BTW...the little English Tavern at the Epcot center is a nice place to "wait" for others while they go "explore' the park. ;)

peace.

Jaytrek, I agree with you. There are lots of fun rides for kids, some are even found in Disneyworld. My son has hiked with me for over 20 years, even though I actually took him to Disneyworld twice. So I guess the experience didn't destroy his love of the real mountains, even though he did enjoy Thunder Mountain!