Dix - Macomb, water sources?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristlecone

Reaction score
Any water sources along the ridge herdpath between Dix and Macomb, reliable in mid-summer?

Thanks

Did this a few summers ago, I don't remember any.

If coming up from Elk Lake, you could fill up just before taking the path that brings you to the Macomb slide. Don't know how far down you'd have to go down to get to Lillian (?) Brook.

It's a nice walk, may try & get the kids up Macomb & East & South this summer.

We hiked it in September, and I remember the heading down the L. Brook h-path between Carson and Macomb part of the path was a little bit of a stream. Don't remember how far down you had to go, but I'm thinking you wouldn't want to count on it.

There aren't any water sources that I would consider reliable along the herd path, no. But if you're desperate- when you get to the bivy site betwen South Dix and Hough, if you head down the Lillian Brook Herd Path, you might be able to find something within a quarter mile or so. I remember seeing running water, not a lot but enough to fill up water bottles, during August.

There is reliable water source down the Lillian Brook herdpath branch connecting the Macomb/South Dix col to the Elk Lake Dix Trail. It's less than 5 minutes away and one will lose only a few feet of elevation, the Lillian Brook branch heading down from the Hough/Pough col offers a reliable water source about a quarter mile down but only after losing a significant amount of "steep" elevation. Going to Macomb via the slide where the herdpath rejoins the lower section of the slide it crosses a miniature drainage which is rarely dry. At the moment trails are dry where the snow is gone and brooks and rivers lower than they were all of last year consequently if it stays that way many water sources will soon be dry.