documenting 46 high peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your answers. It is a relief to know that I haven't violated the rules by missing 20 years of writing to my correspondent! You certainly make it sound a lot easier than it does on the 46er website.

I still find the correspondent part very odd. I wonder for what purpose they collect this information? Surely, they cannot use the antiquated information for the purpose of trail maintenance. Is it purely for the entertainment of the correspondent and the writing practice of the hiker?

Thanks everyone for your answers. It is a relief to know that I haven't violated the rules by missing 20 years of writing to my correspondent! You certainly make it sound a lot easier than it does on the 46er website.

I still find the correspondent part very odd. I wonder for what purpose they collect this information? Surely, they cannot use the antiquated information for the purpose of trail maintenance. Is it purely for the entertainment of the correspondent and the writing practice of the hiker?

I would re-read Skyclimbers post #7, which pretty much sums up the reasons for writing it in. No, they do not use 20 year old reports for trail maintenance, but it is a combination of tradition and historical accounting. The group is one of the oldest in the country, and it's origional purpose was to bring hikers with a common interest in the Troy area of NY together, as well as promote environmental stewardship. At this point, in my opinion, the main reason for writing in is very much the same. It gives you a connection to other people with similar interests, and is a deep-seeded tradition that has both practical, and historical, benefit. Imagine, if you will, being a lover of the Adirondack High Peaks, and then having the opportunity to spend some time in a library full of decades of accounts of people who have climbed the same peaks you have, and have had lots of common, yet unique, experiences. Personally, that makes the whole thing special for me!

Last edited:
Sounds nice ADK88. I wrote some awesome final peak essays for the AMC's Gene Daniell. He once told me he kept them in his bathtub!:D

Sounds nice ADK88. I wrote some awesome final peak essays for the AMC's Gene Daniell. He once told me he kept them in his bathtub!:D

Haha, nice! Good place for them, I suppose. I'm pretty sure the 46ers corespondents aren't filed in a bathtub...unless, of course, the State Library has a bunch of old bathtubs lying around, haha!

Wow, ADK88 and ADKdremn, those are two very thoughtful posts! I think you both really capture some of the essence of what makes the process special for so many people.

Wardsgirl, as was mentioned in an earlier post, if you and your son are interested in joining the NE111 someday, you will need an ADK 46r climber # for that club. And since you are fond of writing essays about your hiking experiences, I have a feeling you might be glad if you do join the 46. :)

For those of us who enjoy writing trip reports, the application process is an enjoyable extension of that. :)

Grace Hudowalksi and Russ Carson were two early influencial 46ers who helped shape the organization that we know today -- largely through <Russ Carson's writing about the Adirondack experience> and <Grace's devotion as historian and correspondent>. Since I don't think anyone has posted any info about them on this thread (sorry if I missed it!), I thought I'd post links to them here. They certainly were inspiring people!

http://www.mackenziefamily.com/gracepeakcommittee/

They are listed at the following link under "Biographies".

Last edited:
Grace Hudowalksi and Russ Carson were two early influencial 46ers who helped shape the organization that we know today -- largely through thier writing about the Adirondacks and through thier written correspondence with those who aspired to climb the 46.

Russell Carson did not do written correspondence with Aspiring Forty Sixers, only Grace Hudowalski did, for more than 60 years of her life. She stopped writing letters when about 90 years old and then Correspondents were recruited to do her job. Amazing what Grace did alone, it takes about 18 Correspondents to do now. :eek: She was an amazing woman.
Russ Carson did not help to shape the Organization but yet the early climbers, "The Forty Sixers of Troy" did. I don't even believe Russell Carson is a Forty Sixer.

Wow. I usually don't read these NY threads very often, but I'm glad I did. I am completely flabbergasted right now to find out that I have to write letters to a correspondent in order to be recognized as a 46er. Being from the Whites, this is pretty foreign to me, aside from my written accounts of the final peaks on the non-NY lists.

I wonder how much time can elapse between the first hikes and when a hiker needs to contact the 46er organization?

The website says that they want you to write to them at least once per year. Does that imply that once you climb one 46er, you will have to write to them every year if you hope to complete the list? In my case, decades will pass between my first batch of peaks and my last.

I'm completely blown away by finding out that I have to write these letters at all, and I'm very confused. Do I have to write one letter for each peak? Do the letters become property of the 46er organization? I suppose I could climb the ones I've already climbed over again, it's not like I don't like hiking! Keeping track shouldn't be a real problem, because I keep a journal of all my hikes, but the website says they do not accept "journal entries." Does anyone know what they mean by that? It's very discouraging to find out that some hikers' assigned correspondents seem antagonistic. Perhaps Adk_dib has the best idea with a special commemorative T-shirt.

To be recognized as a Forty Sixer through the Organization in order to wear the Coveted patches and receive a number, yes one does have to be a Recorded Forty Sixer.

There are No Time Restraints in doing your first climb and writing to the Organization. There are some who don't write until after 20 years of starting climbing the Forty Six. There are those who have taken up to 50 years to complete the Forty Six.

They request you write in at least once a year but it is not a requirement to join the club. There are those who only write in every couple of years about their climbs. If the Forty Sixers do not hear from you in a time span of 10 years from writing your last letter to them, then you will need to refile with the Forty Sixer Club, as your file is then considered "Unactive" and pulled from the Filing System.

No, the letter does not have to be about each peak, it can be combined with the entire Range.....but it should be written about each individual trip overall.

Yes, your letters do become property of the Forty Sixers, in which upon completion of the Forty Six are brought to the Albany State Library in the Archive Section. This does not mean you don't ever have access to your letters again because you can get copies of them at a later date by requesting them from the Albany Library.

No Journal Entries simply mean there is a format for sending in letters, which is, the reports are to be sent in on a 8 1/2 X 11 Sheet of paper, no notebook paper and written on only one side of the paper. It needs to be on these size papers as it saves Archive Space at the Library. Writing on one side of paper saves time at the Office, in which each letter is photocopied and the Original stays with the Forty Sixers in the Main Office in your file and the photocopy goes to the Correspondent to answer the letter.

Originally Posted by una_dogger
Grace Hudowalksi and Russ Carson were two early influencial 46ers who helped shape the organization that we know today -- largely through thier writing about the Adirondacks and through thier written correspondence with those who aspired to climb the 46.

Yes, but Russ Carson was a *writer* of the Adirondack experience, yes? That was what I was trying to convey. Sorry if that was confusing! :)

and taken from the Grace Peak Committee site link that I posted(which is a link on the on the ADK46er site),
"Russell Carson (1884-1961) was among the earliest to know and appreciate the Adirondacks and to infuse his love of them into others." Guess that's what I'd call helping to shape something!

I did not realize that Russ Carson was not an official 46er -- thanks for pointing that out....always something new to learn here. :) I will edit my original post to reflect that.

Last edited:
History of the Adirondack Forty Sixers

Our beloved Grace Hudowalski, Historian of the Forty-Sixers, born February 25, 1906 in Ticonderoga, NY, one of the Founders of the Forty-Sixers and the First Woman to ever climb all of the High Peaks and became Forty Sixer #9 passed away on March 13, 2004 at the age of 98, to the Celestial Hills and her beloved husband Ed Hudowalski 46er # 6.
The Hudowalski’s played a major role in the Club’s over 60 year History, doing numerous acts to make the Club a worthwhile membership, making it truly Unique.
The Forty-Sixers started out as a small hiking group from Troy. Part of the group consisted of Ed and Grace Hudowalski and the Minister Ernest Ryder. In 1937, Ryder formed what they called “The Forty-Sixers of Troy,” which was the forerunner of the current day “Adirondack Forty-Sixers.” Which it was named, some 11 years later, on May 30, 1948, at the Adk Loj. Grace wrote, “when we first went as a small group from Troy to climb, it had to be on a Sunday, back in the early and mid 30's one worked six days a week, it was depression years, we were members of Grace Methodist Church there and climbing on a Sunday was frowned on. We had our service on the mountains-that was important to us.”
Ed Hudowalski, designed the 46er emblem with the numeral 4 and 6 with the letters ADK in green upon circular field of yellow bordered with red, which was adopted on October 9, 1948. Which is the symbol of climbing the Forty-Six in which we the Forty-Sixers wear with pride to this very day. The Winter Ascents of the Forty-Six wasn’t recognized with the Winter Rocker until the Fall of 1991. Designed by Bill Embler and John Wiley, designed in blue and white and fits perfectly under the Summer Patch designed by Hudowalski.
Early hikers had often signed their names on scraps of paper and left them in a glass jar or can at the highest point of the “trail-less peaks.” In 1946 when four Appalachian Mountain Club women were climbing, on each of the trail-less peaks they left a small ointment can containing a little notebook. When found, these were signed by climbers. A committee Werner Bachli # 33, A.G. Dittmar Jr. # 31, Ed Hudowalski # 6 and Roy Snyder # 48 was appointed to develop a plan for trail-less peak registers. Snyder designed a welded, sheet metal pipe canister to be placed on top of each un-trailed peak. On September 3, 1950 the first canister was placed on trail-less Emmons. It wasn’t until 1961 that the last of the canisters were put on each summit. Upon reaching the canister, there was a notebook inside, in which upon signing, hikers were required to take the last three names before them, to report to the Historian, Grace, as proof of climbing the mountain. In 2001 the canisters were considered “Non Conforming Acts of the Wilderness Areas,” by the New York State Department of Conservation and were all removed.
The Forty-Sixers proudly have published three books about the High Peaks, “The Adirondack Forty-Sixers,” in 1958, “The Adirondack High Peaks and the Forty-Sixers,” in 1970, and “Of the Summits of the Forests,” in 1991. We are currently working on a new book, with no definite publication date of yet. We also have our bi-annual “Peeks” Magazine with it’s first issue published in the Fall/Winter 1963/1964, and currently still publish.
Grace was loved by all and was an inspiration to us all. Grace wrote, about when she climbed her first High Peak, Mt. Marcy, on August 2, 1922, at the age of 15, her father told her:
“It doesn’t make any difference whether you reach the top, the important thing is how you make the climb.” She never forgot that. “Thinking positively, not griping on the climb, trying to do my part at the campsite, all these were important. There’s another time to reach the summit, if that’s what happens. One just keeps trying, and of course, drinking in the beauty around and the peacefulness of the woods.”
She wore her oxfords and it was raining. “We’d take a step and slide back three.” It was after that foggy, back then, a three day climb to Marcy, when the clouds lifted on top for a minute and she got her first glimpse of Lake Tear of the Clouds, that all she thought about, “Was Mountains, Mountains, Mountains.” She finished her 46 on Mt. Esther on August 26, 1937. She climbed them all twice. The checkered hiking shorts that she wore on most of her climbs, are displayed at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. She devoted her life to the Adirondack Mountains and personally corresponding with climbers for over 50 years, writing thousands of encouraging letters, on a manual typewriter. Her letters to us, “holds much History of what it was like to climb in the 1930's and 40's.” Her letters are very valuable and precious to those climbers who are fortunate to have them. She remained the Forty-Sixer Historian until the time of her death, but had retired from writing letters at the age of 90 in 1996. All correspondence letters are permanently stored in the Albany Library, New York State Archives, in Albany, NY.
We the Forty-Sixers in her memory will continue her tradition of personally corresponding with climbers. Of course it will not be anything compared to a “Dear Grace, or “Dear Climber, “ letter, but we will try our best. She will be deeply missed by all who knew her.
“Good Climbing,” (as Grace always ended her letters.)

Our beloved Grace Hudowalski, Historian of the Forty-Sixers, born February 25, 1906 in Ticonderoga, NY, one of the Founders of the Forty-Sixers and the First Woman to ever climb all of the High Peaks and became Forty Sixer #9 passed away on March 13, 2004 at the age of 98, to the Celestial Hills and her beloved husband Ed Hudowalski 46er # 6.
Now that's a keeper! :D

Thanks Una and Skyclimber! The correspondent thing makes a lot more sense now, knowing the history of the 46ers. I look forward to getting more involved in Dax hiking in a few years. It sounds like Grace Hudowalski is in the league of the Whites' Marian Pychowska or Miriam Underhill.

Kevin, was it really really really that bad? I don't think so.

I don't play that game, Christine. There's room for only one person in my head to tell me what I think and feel, and that's me ... and sometimes it's pretty crowded even with that. ;)

I had done a bunch of peaks but was not finsihed when I sent my first listing into the 46r's. I was told wait until you are done before sending anything else in. So I did. I basically sent in my list with the dates and a short synopsis of the hike of my 46th peak. I really don't think you need a correspondent to motivate you. I did that on my own. If you wait to you are done to mail everything in you really don't need to deal with a correspondent anyway.

Speaking of correspondents, I just sent my winter 46r list to the historian. I did not really have a correspondent that I wrote to during either my all season or the winter 46r but I am amazed at how much I remember the hikes from my winter round. I could name the folks I hiked with for the most part for all but 1 hike which I just looked up my trip report to find out.

I wrote a short blurb of what I did between my 46r finish in 2007 and my winter finish in 2009, turned out to be about a page so hopefully they'll appreciate it and not use it as toilet paper. :) :D Just kidding.

Jay

I assure you I know how much work it was for you -- as English is not your first language and the reports are required to be in English!!

Hmmm....with your love of the 46 and helpful friendly attitude, maybe someone will nominate YOU to become the French Canadian Liason -- and you can help your fellow countrymen/women with thier reports!!!

:)

Thank you Sabrina,
With my french website, I help many people to achieve their goal. I receive many emails each week, to get informations on hiking in the ADK and now on the White. And I have helped many people achieve several of the 46 peaks of the Adirondack. And some of them reach their goal and become a 46er.

When people recognized us, Annie and me, on the trail I am very happy to meet them. :)
This summer, I met people in two different weekend, they say that they have found hiking on my web site. And if they doing hiking now, it is because of me and my passion for hiking. And by reading my stories they feel my passion. It is a beautiful testimony that really touches me. :)

And now I am very very proud to tell, that my french website is on the 46er website in the suggested links. With that, I think I will help more people.
And yes, maybe one day I could be a 46er correspondant for the french community who want to become ADK46er.

Merci, Sabrina.

Thank you Sabrina,
With my french website, I help many people to achieve their goal. I receive many emails each week, to get informations on hiking in the ADK and now on the White. And I have helped many people achieve several of the 46 peaks of the Adirondack. And some of them reach their goal and become a 46er.

When people recognized us, Annie and me, on the trail I am very happy to meet them. :)
This summer, I met people in two different weekend, they say that they have found hiking on my web site. And if they doing hiking now, it is because of me and my passion for hiking. And by reading my stories they feel my passion. It is a beautiful testimony that really touches me. :)

And now I am very very proud to tell, that my french website is on the 46er website in the suggested links. With that, I think I will help more people.
And yes, maybe one day I could be a 46er correspondant for the french community who want to become ADK46er.

Merci, Sabrina.

Co-incidence or what Yvon? We were suggesting that you would make a great correspondent for the french community at Neil's beer night. That was a week before Sabrina suggested it. I think you would be great for the job.

Co-incidence or what Yvon? We were suggesting that you would make a great correspondent for the french community at Neil's beer night. That was a week before Sabrina suggested it. I think you would be great for the job.

Ahh.....the meeting of the minds!!!! Its obvious how well we all think of you, Yvon! You certainly have recieved alot of good kharma for your generosity. Kindness transcends all obstacles, even language barriers! The universe certainly gives back in mysterious ways to those with open hearts.

:)

Comparing the French-English situation in Quebec to that in the state of New York is a little like comparing apples and hub caps. (les caps de roue avec les pommes ou devrais-je dire , les enjoliveurs de roue :D).

I think embracing french language correspondents is a wonderful idea. I would like to suggest that Monsieur Mario Dumont becomes the first francophone correspondent. After all, he doesn't have much else to do these days. Not sure I want to embrace the guy but the idea is OK.

Now Spanish correspondents. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Hmmm....with your love of the 46 and helpful friendly attitude, maybe someone will nominate YOU to become the French Canadian Liason -- and you can help your fellow countrymen/women with thier reports!!!

Merci, Sabrina.

Comparing the French-English situation in Quebec to that in the state of New York is a little like comparing apples and hub caps. (les caps de roue avec les pommes ou devrais-je dire , les enjoliveurs de roue :D).

I think embracing french language correspondents is a wonderful idea. I would like to suggest that Monsieur Mario Dumont becomes the first francophone correspondent. After all, he doesn't have much else to do these days. Not sure I want to embrace the guy but the idea is OK.

Now Spanish correspondents. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

The Forty Sixers at one time did have a French Correspondent and it did not work out. Because the Adirondack High Peaks are in the USA the reports need to be written in English. Also because of the fact the letters are archived in the Albany State Library. These reports are sometimes read by Researchers and I'm sure most of them are Americans. No Pun Intended. (I have friends and relatives in Canada)

Out of No Disrespect for No One, "Why do some on the Internet seem to think they know what is best for the Adirondack Forty Sixers Organization?" Always suggesting some "crazy notions like emailing their reports, cut out the four lesser peaks of the Forty Six Original Peaks, Nye, Cliff, Blake and Couchsachraga," Correspondents are No Longer Needed, etc.?" This is a well respected Organization and therefore their rules and regulations should also be respected. :)

Last edited: