dog rescue/first aid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
Have any of you ever been involved in searching for a lost dog or treating an injured dog on a trail? If so would you like to share your experiences?

I have never given this a lot of thought until this pm. I was out hiking locally with my Berner when I heard that there was an injured dog on the trail who was leaving a long trail of blood. I was under the impression that the people had taken the dog out and it was a done deal. Approximately ten minutes later I encounter the injured pup and her family. The dog was in obvious distress and having difficulty walking. I had carried only a very small daypack and had with me only one small ace wrap and one roll of waterproof tape. They accepted my offer to help and although I explained that I could not clean the wound I wrapped the entire injured area with the ace wrap and secured it well with the tape. When I finished the dog looked like she had a small cast on. She was able to walk more comfortably and they were going to take her directly to the doggie "trauma" center.It was a really nasty cut and I think all the bleeding had really frightened them.
These people were so grateful. They must have thanked me a dozen times.
After this experience I will carry my well stocked first aid kit even if it is just a "walk in the woods" on a nice sunny day.
Does anyone carry a dog boot (like for sled dogs) to use in case of a similar injury? I wished I had one today to put on over the bandage. It would have been a nice extra layer of protection.

Sounds like you did a fantastic job.

As a paramedic and former firefighter/paramedic I have treated many companion animals including cats, dogs and...um.. rabbits.

I have noticed, in my career, animals in distress bite less than humans do....ha!

I have never tried a boot, but in the SAR Dog first aid training I have taken they have spoken of their use.

Yes, I carry dog booties (4) just in case. I had to make them as none are available for truly large dogs, they work fine. I actually tested them on Brutus - not to protect a cut, but because he was using one of his rear paws to scratch his head too vigorously (it was wounding himself). From that experience I found that a single wrap of duct tape, 1/2 on the bootie and half on the hair, keeps the bootie from slipping off. I usually have a set of poles with duct tape wrapped around one.

In winter I also carry an emergency 5x8 tarp - can be used as a drag/wrap for humans or dogs.

Nice job, Maddy! I've carried out a small dog whose human broke an ankle and had to wait for a litter-rescue; I've cut ice balls off a long-coated dog being dragged down by them in the winter. That's about it so far. I carry small pliers for quills.

Here's the story I posted some time ago about a heroic rescue of a trapped dog on Mt Mansfield: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?p=80914
You may remember it as you responded to it.

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
In winter I also carry an emergency 5x8 tarp - can be used as a drag/wrap for humans or dogs.

The tarp is a great idea. I have often wondered how I would get a dog would could not walk off the mountain. You could probably drag in through the woods in the summer providing it wasn't too rocky.

The Bodhi story is incredible. I had forgotten about it.That was a great rescue. He's a very lucky dog.

Thanks Maddy! I'm sure those people and the dog will be forever grateful...Waumbek, I remember that post about the dog and the porky--egad, I would have been a wreck...I carry an ace and tape, but perhaps a couple of booties will make it into my pack from now on...

....Jade

Last edited:
Raising a water bottle to you Maddy for a good deed!

I've dog boots and baby socks (the kind with little traction patterns on the bottom), but only when my own dog was with me.

Maddy - The tarp is orange on one side, silver on the other. Often used by SAR types as the outside wrap on a litter to keep the elements off as well as reflect the body's heat back into the litter. I believe you can find them at EMS & REI sold by Adventure Medical, same people as who made the emergency bivies that come in the yellow stuff sack. I think I've seem them at Pinkham also - costs around $13.

In the course of being around hard-charging SAR dogs for many years, I've bandaged several cut pads (they bleed like a son-of-a-gun, so be ready), pulled quills twice, helped treat a couple cases of hyperthermia (no, the other one), transported a dog that was run over in a SAR base camp by another driver, and discovered one near-death puncture wound in a chest. I've also been ordered to splint my dog's allegedly broken forelimb and tie him into a litter for a mile-long carryout, when a SAR exercise included a small surprise for me as part of the scenario.

As a result, I always carry a first aid kit suitable for both man (me) and beast (him.) The latter part of the kit requires some booties, some vet wrap, a muzzle that I can get on quickly and securely, small sharp scissors and forceps for quill cutting and pulling, and some Benadryl for allergic reactions, in addition to the human components like bandages, tape, a rectal thermometer, etc.

Your vet might be willing to give you a first aid primer. You might want to schedule it as an office call and pay for the service. Then practice at home with the muzzle, the restraining, and the bandaging before you need to do it for real. Adrenaline tends sometimes to cloud your thinking about the steps to follow . . .

EDIT: Re: searching for a lost dog -- Try to stay put if you can. The dog can cover ground a lot faster than you, and you're unlikely to follow it successfully very far in the NE woods. The dog may tire of chasing that deer and eventually try to find its way back to you by air scenting you. If you're moving, it gets much harder for the dog to locate you (been there, done that.) Stay put as long as you can. If you're in a low spot, consider moving to nearby higher ground where the air currents will carry your scent farther.

If you have to leave, hang some clothing that you've worn on a high branch at the place you lost the dog and check back as often as possible. Do the same at the trailhead if you have to drive away. It might persuade the dog to hang around once it finds the clothing, and someone might notice it. Put up photo flyers at the trailhead and at the place you lost the dog. Don't assume anyone will recognize your dog from a written description; use pictures. Be sure to include your dog's call name on the flyer.

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
Maddy - The tarp is orange on one side, silver on the other. .
Kevin....I know just the one you mean. Would that tarp be strong enough to slide the dog down the trail without tearing??? (Excluding rocks.)
Great suggestions Sardog. You have lots of good experience to share.
I am going to invest in a muzzle also. I was worried about the injured pup biting the young boy that was trying to console her because she was in so much pain.The mom said "oh, she would never do that" but I wouldn't bet on it. She was really a nice dog. She never growled or snarled once.
I can feel the weight of my pack increasing with this thread but yesterday made me realize that I would rather carry it than wish I had it when the need arises.

Hats off to you Maddy, job well done. I was always concerned about my Golden getting injured and how I would get her out. Years ago I made a leather sling which I could support her whole body and hang around my neck. We tried it a few times for practice, never really needed it in an emergency. She seemed very comfortable and did not fight it. She was about 55 lbs and I know I would have to take frequent breaks, but what the heck. I always carried plenty of medical supplies and doggy boots for minor injuries.

Maddy said:
Great suggestions Sardog. You have lots of good experience to share.
I am going to invest in a muzzle also. I was worried about the injured pup biting the young boy that was trying to console her because she was in so much pain.The mom said "oh, she would never do that" but I wouldn't bet on it.

Absolutely. Even a very placid dog may express pain with its teeth. All humans who solo-hike with dogs should be carrying muzzles anyway just in case the human is injured and a stranger has to take charge of the dog. Some otherwise sweet dogs may understandably get very defensive if an SAR crew of 24 or more, a not uncommonly large group, shows up and takes over the dog's human. Not all muzzles are the same, they should be tested for fit and comfort (allowing dog to pant and drink, etc.) at home first, and they are not foolproof so work with them before need.

Last edited:
Maddy said:
Kevin....I know just the one you mean. Would that tarp be strong enough to slide the dog down the trail without tearing??? (Excluding rocks.)

Maddy - I'm not sure if it would hold up as a drag in summer but am quite confident it would work for a considerable distance if there was snow on the ground, though. It also has grommets, so it would be possible to create an emergency litter by lashing small trees or even two hiking poles per side, along with some light rope.

Maddy, nice job. That was kind. I've never thought about injured dogs on the trail, but so many are hiking these days that it must happen regularly.

Good point about having a muzzle in case someone else has to take charge of your dog if you get hurt. My old German Shepard wouldn't bite if you kicked him, but the Labrador needs a muzzle when she goes to the vet. If I ever take her on a hike I'll bring a muzzle.

After yesterday I will now be carrying at least two booties for my Golden. We were up in the ADK's in the Jay Range and it was hot, and there was a lot of rock slab walking and jumping. Despite having checked his pads twice, during the last half hour he was getting sore, sure enough when we were back at the car his front pads were a little pink. I felt horrible. I had carried a fanny pack full of benadryl, vet wrap, doggie first aid book, as well as a flashing light for him and my regular first aid kit. He has booties but I only had used them in the Winter.

When we got back to Lake Placid I went to Jones' Outfitters it's in the same building as High Peaks Cyclery. It's a hunting and fishing store but it has a GREAT section for sporting dogs. I picked up some RuffWear booties, pad salve, mushers secret wax, and a peanut butter filled dog bone to make him feel better!

Nice job Maddy, I know if I was the owner I definitely would have appreciated the help.

-Shayne

HERE
is my story of hiking with an injured dog. It was not fun. He still hikes but only under 6 miles at a time.

Thank you for sharing this. It made me cry. What a terrible experience that must have been for you.
It makes me think a whole lot about using much caution when hiking with with "Bernie the Bernese". I desperately want him to be able to do more but he never will and I just need to accept that. He is a 125lb one year old, on Rimadyl, and receiving acupuncture. Prior to acupuncture he couldn't walk on a trail without sitting every 3-5 minutes. Needless to say we didn't go far. Now he can walk for 1.25hrs without resting and he actually looks like he is having fun. We stay on the flats but it's better than nothing.
It's so difficult to give up that dream of hiking with your best buddy be they young or old but this story really reinforces what could happen if one throws caution to the wind.

Several years ago in the ADK High Peaks, while hiking with a small group, as we came off Wright Peak we noticed bloody paw prints on the rock slabs. At the intersection with the AlG trail, there was the dog, his owner and a couple of friends they were hiking with.

Long story, short version: I donated my space blanket and learned how valuable adhesive tape can be on the trail. It was used to tie a peice of tee-shirt around the paw and to hold the blanket onto two tree branches to make a sling. This was a 90-pound black lab!

We carried the dog down the entire way -- four of us, one on each corner with a few spotters who helped relieve at the beginning, but all in all, I stayed with them all the way. When we got to the trailhead an SUV was waiting to take the guy into the emergency vet.

This dog was very complaisant. He never fussed as we carried him down. I was glad I helped. As my wife said as she got to the intersection off Wright and I was already involved: "I knew when I got there that you'd be helping." (Lots of weight and I needed to trade off sides several times!)

my very first backpacking trip we helped out with a dog unable to continue hiking. We had camped at 13falls and were headed back to the parking lot on the 2ed of 3 days. we came across a guy from the boston area with a dog that was done hiking. this was somewhere between 13falls and the redrock stream. we(me, girlfriend at the time and my friend Jano) took turns helping carry our own packs while also carrying the dog on a litter made from branches and a tarp. not a small dog, but i don't remember hw big he was. regular lab size i think!?!?!

We spent the night off trail under a tarp with the dog as the owner went further down trial to retrieve gear he had stashed. That evening a crazy thunderstorm rocked the pemi and the owner never came back til morning. there were three of us under that tarp along with the dog, which took a liking to jano and kept sleeping on him! jano finally gave up and pitched a tent he ahd brought along. the next morning the owner came and the dog was hiking a bit, when well coaxed. we left them taking some peoples' phone numbers to call as the dude was supposed to be out of the wilderness the day before.