Doug Paul injured in a back-country ski accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick said:
Now about those medsurge nurses.........If you have to talk about 27 mAH batteries, amperes and joules with the application of a force required to displace 1 newton, do it in a low sexy voice........ It actually then doesn't matter what you are talking about....... :D
No problem...

You just talk to the PT about the classic Caillet (sp?) pain series, you see why she wants you to lean your body back for a knee exercise (engages the 4th quad), recognize the kneecap raising exercise, show her the design error in their walker and how to avoid it... (And, of course, you do your exercises.)

etc.

Doug

spider solo said:
I hope you and Sherpa k aren't forming some kind of skier initiation ritual for an exclusive ski club....!
Nah...

I won the race for the most posts from him a while ago. Now I am working on his entry for the largest number of posts in a personal injury thread.

Actually, his injuries were more severe than mine--all my neurological problems existed prior to the accident... :)

BTW, he called me and gave me some very sage advice.

Doug

SherpaKroto said:
I was lucky to have a great support group while healing am am happy to help out in any way.
VFTT certainly has been a great support group already for me. Tim, of course, sensed my absence and tracked me down and several members called or visited me while I was in the hospital. I couldn't read the thead, but people kept me up-to-date on how big it was getting. It is kind of nice to know that a sizeable group is concerned about you even if you cannot read their specific comments...

I also have support from several close pre-VFTT friends.

And, of course, there is BC Ski Angel Andy (who already has my offer of sponsorship for VFTT). He made a spot-on reply when I gave him the "thanks as many times as it is possible to thank" routine: "It could just as easily have been me." He was also solo.

Amusing coincidence: we are the same age and both have academic backgrounds.

This has been an amazing experience for me in a number of ways. I just wish that one wouldn't have to break a leg to experience it. But extraordinary events may be required to produce extraordinary experiences.

Doug

darren said:
Hey DP, one other thing - let me know if you need any advice about setting up a bird feeder outside your window. It will keep your camera working while you are sitting inside doing nothing! :D
I've already told some friends about your activities...

I have a nice rail fence in the backyard (perhaps not as interesting as a branch) and an ex-neighbor's feeder used to keep them coming...

Useless factoid: My brother was a professional ornithologist. Bet he has some nice bird pics in his archives. (Some have been published.)

Hope you can get to some more varied scenes before too much longer...

Doug

Seeker said:
Doug, I did a solo BC tour at Cardigan yesterday and came across a blowdown--and of course thought of you. As I negotiated my way over it (it was pretty high off the ground and sloped down on one side), it became quite clear to me how easily I could do damage to myself.
This was a simple non-descript branch. Not very big. If it wasn't frozen into the snow, one person might have been able to drag it off the trail (actually a dirt road at the accident site). It would have been trivial to ski around. I guess I just cut it too close...

Skiing in snow that is soft enough that the ski sinks in always has the hazard that you do not know what is hiding in the snow, Add a bit of speed...

Sending healing thoughts your way! Glad to know that pain has lessened, and you'll be coming home soon.
Once the operations on the leg were completed, the pain was surprisingly minor. (I was being given pain medication with a demand button to get more. Never needed it after the ops were done.)

Doug

Paradox said:
Oh my goodness! Just caught the thread. Sounds like Doug was prepared for the worst as usual.
Yeah--I hope that the weight of all that preparation (23-25 lbs, tot) didn't contribte to the accident. But once the accident did happen, there was adequate gear in my pack to thermally stabilize. (Andy did contribute some of his own gear.)

Femoral neck fractures are not a good thing. I know most of the folks in the ED at Speare and they are first rate. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
No they are not. It will take a good while to determine the outcome.

Speare emergency and orthopedic depts get a Gold Star from me.

Doug.

Now that I have read through the thread...

Thanks one and all for the well wishes etc. It is very nice to have such a group pulling for one. And keep posting those questions and trip reports coming so I can stay in the woods vicariously.

Have I filled in the dip in my post count yet? :)

Doug

DougPaul said:
Have I filled in the dip in my post count yet? :)

Yes, actually, you have:

Total Posts: 3,445 (4.50 posts per day)

Right back on the 4.50 posts per day you had when you went missing ;)

If you don't keep up with the 3 posts/hour rate for today, someone will be forced to call 911 and have them check if you're still breathing ;)

Glad to have you back! I'm really, really glad that my knowledge of your trip did not turn out to be of help in a body recovery effort.

Tim

OMG!!! I just came upon this thread. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Life is prescious. Glad you have more in you!

Happy Trails :)

bikehikeskifish said:
If you don't keep up with the 3 posts/hour rate for today, someone will be forced to call 911 and have them check if you're still breathing ;)
I'm pretty tired. May I have 8 or so hrs for some shut-eye this evening?

Glad to have you back! I'm really, really glad that my knowledge of your trip did not turn out to be of help in a body recovery effort.
My Mom thinks so too...

And I agree.

Doug

DougPaul said:
One of the X-ray techs said that I was in the top-5 ski injuries of the year...Doug
I basically had similar comments. Not something one likes to hear, but for some strange reason, in my sick twisted mind it may me feel better :confused:
DougPaul said:
...This has been an amazing experience for me in a number of ways. I just wish that one wouldn't have to break a leg to experience it. But extraordinary events may be required to produce extraordinary experiences...Doug
I am still humbled by the outpouring of support from my VFTT friends. I keep thinking everyone has me confused with someone else :rolleyes:

Doug, you get better, and let me know how I can help you out!

BTW, read my tag line. How appropriate for Doug, Darren and me. We'll get back out there! In the meantime, like Doug says, everyone keep posting so we can live vicariously though your exploits.

DougPaul said:

PS. Typing with one hand is so slow...

Try typing with one finger. And imagine what happens when that finger gets broken or otherwise mangled!

Good to see you are recovering and back to posting.

G.

DougPaul said:
One of the X-ray techs said that I was in the top-5 ski injuries of the year...Doug
SherpaKroto said:
I basically had similar comments. Not something one likes to hear, but for some strange reason, in my sick twisted mind it may me feel better :confused:
I just told them that I'm an old-world craftsman--its not worth doing unless you do a good job...

At least I did it in a slow year. The doc said that he had fixed a factor of ~4 fewer of a specific leg bone this year compared to average.

I am still humbled by the outpouring of support from my VFTT friends. I keep thinking everyone has me confused with someone else :rolleyes:
I know exactly what you mean. When I describe the recent events to friends, I always choke up at this part. I'm just some jerk who pulled a klutz move on what should have been a mellow ski trip. <wavy lines> "I'm not worthy!" </wavy lines>

Doug

Doug - We've never met, but I see you took the time today to add to my post on "Hiking Zion Narrows."

Thanks, and WELCOME BACK! The boards have certainly missed you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.