Doug Paul injured in a back-country ski accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikehikeskifish said:
I just spoke with Doug on the phone for a while. He's likely coming home tomorrow (as DebW already mentioned). He had some fever but it is broken now (and he commented on how it wasn't comfortable being feverish in cotton.) His sustained pain level is lower now -- 2 on the 0-10 scale, and he's off the morphine and on oxicodone / generic / similar -- he wasn't sure (gasp!) His custom walker was delivered while we were chatting...

He was honored to have seen some of these posts, and to get the phone calls, and the visits. What was said about community (in the NY/not-NY forum debate) has proven to be true in my eyes, and I think in his too...

So, I expect we'll see a post from him either late tomorrow or by Saturday some time. And yes, he's formulating them in his head all the time :rolleyes:

BTW, he called me and left a message stating he felt bad he never inquired about my knees after my full-day of skiing. What a guy, eh?

Tim

All great news Tim.

Looking forward to seeing him post.

Talk with you soon DP.

Keith

Hey DP, one other thing - let me know if you need any advice about setting up a bird feeder outside your window. It will keep your camera working while you are sitting inside doing nothing! :D

(if the rest fo you don't know what I am joking about, join the photo forum and read about all of my exciting indoor photography action. :eek: )

- darren

Doug
Sorry to hear your news. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Bad things happen to good people because they are the ones who can handle it.

Who says you need Hallmark to be cheezy..

Hi Doug Paul, I had the pleasure of meeting you at the Winter Gathering last year in Maine.

I am so sorry to hear about your injuries--I can't even imagine how painful and distressing it must have been to suffered those fractures, and to be out there alone. How fortunate that someone came along and that you had a cell phone with a signal!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

CM

Doug, I did a solo BC tour at Cardigan yesterday and came across a blowdown--and of course thought of you. As I negotiated my way over it (it was pretty high off the ground and sloped down on one side), it became quite clear to me how easily I could do damage to myself.

Sending healing thoughts your way! Glad to know that pain has lessened, and you'll be coming home soon.

Oh my goodness! Just caught the thread. Sounds like Doug was prepared for the worst as usual. Femoral neck fractures are not a good thing. I know most of the folks in the ED at Speare and they are first rate. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I am home.

A quick version of the event is:
* I was solo skiing the Kancamangus Brook Tr Loop (an old friend) in very nice snow conditions--blue wax. (Sun, Feb 11)
* a blowdown partially blocked the right side of the trail (descending Upper Livermore Tr, just below the height-of-land).
* As I skied around the blowdown, I suddenly went flying, heard a snap, and ended up lying on my right side in a semi-fetal position in the snow about 30 ft away from the blowdown. I hadn't been going that fast-- probably only ~10 mph. (My current theory is that an interaction with the blowdown somehow caused my left tip to go under my right ski.)
* It was immediately apparent that my left femur was broken just above the knee and that I had little chance of getting my skis off.
* About 5 min later as I was struggling to get my pack off, a Ski Angel named Andy arrived and removed my skis and pack for me. He then thermally stabilized me and got out my cell phone. We got a signal (!) and called it in. Jeff (NH State Trouper) and Cathy (WWV Ski Patrol) arrived 1-1.5 hr later and transported my carcass down to the trailhead with an assist from Jerry (?) of NH F&G. (I think there were others whose names I didn't catch). I was stabilized in the waiting ambulance and transported to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth where Dr Gennaro and staff glued me back together.

Injuries: left femoral neck fracture, left distal (just above the knee) femoral fracture, left wrist fracture. (The X-rays are very impressive...) It appears that it may be 8-12 weeks before I can support weight on the leg.

I am currently getting around rather slowly using one leg and a walker.

Thanks to all who called me or visited me--you were a great help. And, of course, it sometimes pays to have a stalker named Tim (bikehikeskifish) who won't let you hide, no matter how hard you try... Boy, was I surprised to hear him on the phone! :) :)

I have a lot to do in the near future setting up my local medical support, healing, and rehabbing. Old friends (Debi (DebW) and non-VFTTers) have been giving me the special support needed in such situations.

I haven't read this thread (yet) and need to concentrate on the recovery process, so I am asking you all to give me a bit of time before calling and visiting. I'll let you know when. In the meantime, I'll read the thread and try write up the event in more detail. (Please hold off speculation until I can post a more detailed account.) Oh, and I might even try to answer a GPS question or two... :)

D*mn, missed the best snowfall of the season... :(

And in the words of the immortal Arnold: "I'll be back!"

Doug

PS. Typing with one hand is so slow...

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
Here's an additional interesting fact I left out above --

They had to unhook the litter/sled several times to get around the blow downs. The rescue snow machine tipped over at one point, and the two folks who came up plus Andy the skier couldn't right it, and they had to get a second snow machine up there at which point the 4 people were able to right the first snow machine.
Close.

The 2 were not able, +Andy succeeded, About then, the backup arrived and gave Andy a ride down.

So, if you care about clearing blow downs, there are (I hear) a bunch ;)
At least 4 on the Livermore Tr. And about 30 on KBT between the stream crossing and the high flat part. The high flat part needs brushing and some clearing--it is hard to follow.

Doug

Seeker said:
YIKES! I do know that Doug hikes/skis very well prepared for unplanned events--I'll bet he was glad to have his emergency gear with him.
Over-prepared might be accurate. Might be why I have difficulty skiing the hard stuff...

Ugh--it must have been quite a fall.
Dunno... No one was there to tell me how graceful it was.

BTW, there was a nurse at the hospital that looked a lot like you (especially without my glasses...). Every time I saw her, I wondered what you were doing there... (Actually, she treated me--a nice lady who did her job well.)

Doug

Last edited:
darren said:
Dude, bummer! I know how much it sucks to break your leg, and your break sounds a lot worse than mine. Hopefully you do not follow in my tracks and you only break yours once!
I'll try not to...

I have often said that the accident reports are the only record book that I was skilled enough to get into... One of the X-ray techs said that I was in the top-5 ski injuries of the year. (But it has been a slow ski year.)

ps: good idea to break the wrist too. crutches suck! :)
Yeah, but modified walkers suck even more...

Doug

HAMTERO said:
I don't remember saying that....but he may have some duct tape on them... :D
That was the old pair.

That's tuff to break your femur. :eek:
Actually, I found it rather easy to do. I was just skiing along, minding my own business, when some snow snake bit my ski...

The aftermath might be a bit tough, tho.

Doug

Last edited:
skibones said:
I would be interested to know what you thought of your stay in Speare Memorial hospital since that is where I would be transported since I live in WV.
They get a gold star from me.

All meals in bed, they wait on you hand and leg...

Doug