E Trex Summit display question?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenC

Reaction score
Avitar: Sunset from Perch : Home:Western Mass
I recently picked up a Garmin E-trex Summit. I set it up and on using it the first day i noticed the display screen does not shut down as i have it set. I set it up for a 15 second display backlight shutdown and notice nothing at all in display change!

The screen was on all day! I didn't set energy saver mode till this am but even with it set i see no change.

Anyone that has a like unit have any feedback?

I sent an e-mail to garmin, but thought i might see if anyone here might be able to tell me if i've missed something or if i have a "reject"!

The backlight shutdown turns off the display backlight, not the display itself. If you try this test at night or in a dark closet, you should see the backlight shut off at your selected delay.

I don't think the LCD screen display draws much current.

I can't recall exactly what the "Battery Save" mode does.

Yeah - the only way to shut the display down is to turn off the GPS unit.

Battery saver mode takes fixes less often than the normal mode, turns off WAAS (if your unit does that), and sometimes shuts off the GPS receiver between readings. If you don't need a detailed track of your progress, this is the way to go.

KenC: if you are looking to also extend battery life, turn off your electronic compass when you don't need it. That will add hours to the life. I have the same unit and only use NiMH batteries that I purchase from Thomson Distributing that Dave Metsky turned me on to (and saved me lots of money on batteries in the process!). With the older 1800 mah batteries that I still have, I can get a full day's use, even with the compass on. With the new 2200 mah or higher, you can get a day and a half (hiking, i.e. turn it off at night)

BTW, I like my Summit a lot. Set the altimeter to GPS and you will improve the accuracy without having to recalibrate it. It's a lot easier than trying to remember recalibrating it at every know elevation.

Sherpa,

Thanks for the tip on shutting off the compass! Heck i always have my old reliable Suunto anyway!

Sherpa & Jay,

Thanks for the supplier link's. I've been a user of NiMH for two years now. They are great!! Great in the winter, though i hear lithium has some advantages. UNfortunately i just picked the unit up and didn't throw in extras that day so only had Alkilines in the car. NiMH in it now!