Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osmosis

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has done Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson as a loop and what most folks think about it.

Workable for average hikers?

Looks something like this:
Highland Center to Mt Pierce via the Crawford Path = 5 miles
Eisenhower to Pierce via the Crawford Path trail = 1.9 miles
Pierce to Jackson via the AT = 2.6 miles
Jackson to RT 302 via Jackson Brook to Webster Jackson trails = 2.6

12 – 12 1/2 mile total loop

Hiking the correct direction? Looking at going up the Crawford Path trail might be better than doing the loop in the reverse direction and needing to walk down this. Webster-Jackson trail looks much more gradual coming down.

Any other suggestions?

I'd recommend a loop via Edmands path - to Eisenhower then hit Pierce and Jackson. Descend via Webster - Jackson trail.

I did a Jackson-Pierce loop first weekend in May, overnighting at the Miztpah Hut, open its first weekend on a caretaker basis. Then I hiked Eisenhower on a lollipop hike, Edmands up, to summit and around the cone on the loop and Crawford Path, back down Edmands, June 21. It would be a good long day, but doable for most people who hike a lot. I'd say a trek up Jackson first via the Webster-Jackson Trail, across to Pierce and then Ike, back down via Crawford would be preferable for most. W-J is steeper and rougher than Crawford, which is more gradual with better footing.

Also, a very nice thing about Crawford is that it's got a pretty waterfall with a nice pool below for swimming or cooling one's heels at the end of the hike, Gibbs Falls, only about 0.3 from the Highland Center, just uphill from the parking lot side trail. The falls are maybe 200 feet off the trail and can be heard easily from the trail most of the time, I imagine - was easy to hear them when I was there, when waters were pretty high.

I'd not done the Crawford from Webster Cliffs junction on Pierce to Eisenhower Loop south end, I've eyeballed it from both ends and it looks pretty mellow. Here are a couple of pics from the Ike Loop on the summer solstice:

92170888.jpg

92170762.jpg

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has done Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson as a loop and what most folks think about it.

Workable for average hikers?

Looks something like this:
Highland Center to Mt Pierce via the Crawford Path = 5 miles
Eisenhower to Pierce via the Crawford Path trail = 1.9 miles
Pierce to Jackson via the AT = 2.6 miles
Jackson to RT 302 via Jackson Brook to Webster Jackson trails = 2.6

12 – 12 1/2 mile total loop

Hiking the correct direction? Looking at going up the Crawford Path trail might be better than doing the loop in the reverse direction and needing to walk down this. Webster-Jackson trail looks much more gradual coming down.

Any other suggestions?

Depends on if you can drop a car/bike at Edmunds. I would suggest going up Jackson first, then heading to the Hut (where you can refill water). Over Pierce and Ike, then down Edmunds. If you have a car or bike at Edumunds then the trip back to Crawford Notch is much faster. The road walk is a couple miles but is mostly flat. Edmunds is a much nicer trail to come down than Jackson. You could always backtrack via Crawford path all the way to the Depot too.

Weather is the other consideration. If clouds could obscure your view, then time is so you're going over Ike with the clearest part of the forecast.

Last edited:
One day in July I left my car at the bottom of the Edmands Path and rode my bike to the Highland Center. Then I walked up over Webster and Jackson to Mizpah; then Pierce, Eisenhower, Franllin and Monroe; back on the Crawford Path and down Edmands. It rained every step of the way and my best "panoramic" view was about 100'. I loved it every single step of the way, though I felt bad for the people I passed who were either trying to stay dry (impossible!) or were on vacation from far away and didn't realize what they were missing view-wise. About 15 miles/5000 vertical feet/8 hours and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody who likes that kind of mileage and altitude!

Thanks to all!

Edmands path looks like a better option, leaving car at the parking lot at intersection of Mt. Clinton Road and Edmands path and bike back to the Highland Center to start the hike at Webster-Jackson Trail and end at Edmands.

I'll report once completed. Doing Moriah this weekend.

Is there a good place to leave/lock a bike at the Highland Center?

Is there a good place to leave/lock a bike at the Highland Center?

Not sure... I would think there are back racks given the amount of bike traffic in the area, but I've never looked. If there is, then great. If not, then drop the bike at Edmunds and take the car.

Thanks to all!

Edmands path looks like a better option, leaving car at the parking lot at intersection of Mt. Clinton Road and Edmands path and bike back to the Highland Center to start the hike at Webster-Jackson Trail and end at Edmands.

I'll report once completed. Doing Moriah this weekend.

One thing to remember: there won't be much water above about 3000' climbing Webster, all the way to Mitzpah Hut. Make sure you have plenty at the crossing just past the Webster-Jackson trail split and then at the hut, next water, other than a bog and a glacial tarn, will be about half a mile down Edmands from its junction with Ike Loop, though I hear that that stream crossing can be dry in drier times of year such as now - I'd say check out newenglandtrailconditions.com.

Notes on views: I recommend that you turn around and take in the awesome views a few times as you climb Ike from the south, also, there's a superb viewpoint near Pierce's SW peak just at the top of the steep haul up from Mitzpah. Pierce's views are about 180 degrees NNW to SSE, so it's nice to take in those SE to W views at that spot.

There are prolly bike racks at HC, but I locked mine to the signpost on the east side of 302, right next to the trail and across the road from the parking lot where I'd later pick it up. Worked fine for me.

I just looped these 3 Saturday. Left the car at the Mt. Clinton Road lot, walked the 2.15 miles (according to the GPS) to the Edmand's Path, and took the usual routes over to Jackson. Down the Jackson branch of Webster-Jackson, took the Saco Lake Trail (vs. the roadwalk on 302, it is a nice scenic route that is only a tad longer with no real climbing) and walked the short distance up to my car. ~13-13.5 miles and ~4000ft (haven't done the exact math yet) all told. Briefly thought about doing the out-and-back to Monroe before heading South, but I'll leave that for another day.

It was a great loop and surprisingly not super busy considering the beautiful day, no bike was used though you easily could use one on Mt. Clinton Road. Except I wouldn't suggest descending Jackson on the Webster-Jackson Trail...doable, but my knees didn't exactly love the upper section to the fork...next time I'll go in reverse and park at Edmand's (I prefer doing the roadwalk in the AM as a warmup vs at the end of the day).

It's not really a loop, so you'd need a car spot (you can use the AMC hiker shuttle and be at the trailhead with your car spotted by 9:30), but going up the Ammonoosuc Trail and then out by Crawford Path would be pleasant and less that 4k elevation gain. Basically this hike. The mileage isn't bad at all; it's just over 3 miles to Lake of the Clouds going up that way, then 7 or so down Crawford path, plus a little for the summits.

My $ .02...i would go up Edmands, easy hike, comfortable grade, enjoy Eisenhower then its all technically down hill from there. Hit Mitzpah to re-hydrate, enjoy shade and waterfalls below webster/Jackson. Once back at 302/Highland Ctr, it really isnt very difficult to pull in trail karma from other hikers even sightseers to get you back to your car. You can safely leave your pack around the Highland Ctr if you dont want to throw sweaty gear into someones car. (sightseers may freak alittle on the dirt road, just tell them they might see a moose by getting off the pavement for a few miles!) the main down side of travelling from north to south is if you have a day with views you are walking away from the rock pile views of Mt Washington.
My son and I did the Wiley Field range from the south to highland ctr and inspite of running out soaking wet from a thunderstorm, i still got a ride back to our car, while he waited safe and sound at highland.
Trail karma is as trail karma does:)