Everglades gate 9 to gate 11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the starchild

Reaction score
this is an old fireroad that makes a 3.8 mile arc through some beautiful backcountry just off the main park road in the glades. I chatted it up with a NPS volunteer and got a ride to the first trailhead and planned on waking the 3.8 miles of trail, then crossing the road to another set of trails and walking another 3 or so miles back to the campground.

the beginning at gate 9 was very, very wet and required walking off trail in a few spots to avoid deeper water. this is dangerous as the land is pocketed and potholed limestone and sharp and slippery, FUN! i am really glad i did the route in this direction.

i saw no terrestial creeatures except lizards, but the skies, trees and bushes were full of birds of all shapes and sounds. lots of birds. birds everywhere!

About 1/2 way through the trail left the swampier lower areas and climbed a foot or so higher into the Pinelands, making for a much, much drier environment, more trees and thus....blowdowns! but no spruce in sight!:)
the blowdowns of slash pines (beautiful trees, especially in the light of a rising or setting sun) were a wonderful opportunity to check out the tree tops, which are obviously, usually much higher.

arriving at gate 11 and back at the main park road i couldn't find the trail on the opposite side of the road. one map didn't show it coming all the way out, yet another did?!?! if my compass wasn't sitting uselessly and foolishly at my campsite, a bushwhack would have been in order. instead i had to road walk back, the same distance but not as quiet as the trails as cars are passing by at 55mph.

Killer you got explore the Glades! I grew up in Florida, so I've been down there a few times. You didn't mention any gator sightings... surely, you must have seen some?! Saltwater crocs also inhabit the Glades, and my uncle's good friend swears to God he's seen a skunk ape down there (Florida sasquatch). Interesting wildlife, it has (Yoda voice). :D