fall weather

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critter

Reaction score
I was wondering how much I would have to worrie about snow on Columbus day weekend? I have a hiking partner that is paranoid about snow, so it would be a good idea for me to be truthfull about the conditions.

Your guess is as good as anyone's. I was in the high peaks the first weekend of october one year and there were several inches of snow on the ground. The very next weekend it was in the 70's.

Your best bet is to plan on some snow and if there is none you get a bonus!

I agree with raftinguy. Last year was a very summer-like weekend but I have also been in snow and ice. I'm sure folks will be out every week until then and you could get an update before you go.

I remember a few years ago I encountered 4 inches of snow on Slide Mt Catskills and it was oct 10th. With the way this weather has been it would not suprise me if we have an early fall and winter.

Just looked back at my journal. 10/1 on Mt. Ellen, VT it was 70 degrees. Spent night 10/7 near Camels Hump in snow. 10/14 was in ADKs on Macomb in 70 degrees so anything goes in October! This was in 2000.

My best guess is that you have a less than 20% chance of encountering snow that weekend. It's usually excellent hiking weather, cool and crisp.

My experience
10/7/00 - 6" snow on garfield ridge -see attached pic

10/5/01 - 80 on Kinsman, 10/7 38 and snow flurries

10/5/02 - 81 on Carter dome trail, 10/6 45 and 100 mile visibility on Mt Hight

10/24/03 - 39 on Mt. Alander Mass. & 2" snow, 10/26 64 on Race Mtn

I always watch the forecasts and then subtract 10 degrees just to be prepared.

as everyone has stated it really can go either way. so best be prepared for everything.

warm weather, cold weather...

fall is one of the hardest times of year to pack for. if your going to be in some low lying areas you can get awya with semi warm and cool clothes... BUT if you plan on any elevation you really need to be prepared the worst..

10-??-01 my buddies and i hiked into Spruce lake with warm temps and rain. then next morning we woke up to 4in of snow on the ground....

10-??-02 again my buddies and i hiked into JBL with rain and had mixed weather (sleet, ice, snow) all weekend...

10-??-03 boating/camping on Indain lake, semi warm and some rain, but no snow.... almost though as it was in the air...

so, fwiw, you really need to be prepared for everything...

happy hiking

Year before last I took a new hiker up Lower Wolf Jaw in the Adirondack HPs. The ground was a little wet down low, a dusting at 2,500', and inch or two more higher up and about 6" of light powder on the summit. She got wet, cold feet, and we had to hurry off the summit just as the wind was tearing the clouds off the peaks and so missed the views.

as of today!!!

04foliagemap1.gif

it's getting closer!!!

It depends. Columbus Day weekend 1993 I climbed Whiteface in shorts, shirtless on a warm hazy-sunny day. Turned to fog, drizzle, rain then snow while hiking out and driving back to Loj. A hiker from my ADK chapter disappeared in the High Peaks that weekend, probably a hypothermia victim.

Rain at trailhead may be snow up higher. I think the theoretical rule is 2 degrees cooler per 1000 feet higher, but in practice, it seems to be colder. Weather forecast should give some idea of whether you'll need snowshoes (bring them to the trailhead in any event, and carry them if any chance they'll be needed). I carry four point instep crampons from October thru May. You're more likely to need those in October than snowshoes.

critter, I think it's always a chance for snow in the higher elevations, as the previous posts attest to. My personal story about snow and Colombus Day was in 1994, when we climbed Marcy from ADK Loj. It was about 50 deg. at the Loj. However by the time we got to the Phelps Trail intersection, it started snowing. By the time we gained the top, it was near whiteout conditions, with very strong wind gusts. We hunkered down behind the summit boulder, and got out of our wet clothes and into dry, warm clothes. Then it was back down to the relative balminess of the woods where the temp was in the 50s, and the shorts went back on.

No matter where you go that weekend, BE PREPARED for temperature and condition changes. Have fun, and it's to bad your friend is paranoid about snow. It won't limit your fun, just be ready for it.

Just to addend a personal comment on to Masshysteria's post. I LOVE SNOW! Especially encountered as described. Like the man says, just make sure you've got some clothes to put between your bare skin and that beautiful white stuff.

It can snow anytime anywhere in the mountains

Last week of June 2000. Left Loj in 60 degree weather. Marcy summit, sleet and 60 mph winds. So many microclimes in the mountains, you need to be prepared for anything, anytime.