Far NE gathering?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first one was ME, then NH, VT, NY, and ME again. I'm sure I missed a few. Those are the big summer Gatherings. We've done winter and off season Gatherings in various places. Mostly we see each other at the Woodstock Station and call it a day. :cool:

-dave-

We did a 2nd gathering in NH after VT. I doubt we'd do one in Mass since a lot of hikers like to bag something on one list or another and there's nothing in the Berkshires on any of the more popular lists.

Gatherings have steadily grown since the 20 or so we got at the first one, especially in the last couple of years when a lot more people from NY started joining in.

The number of Gatherings has grown, too. The first few years there'd be one in the "summer" (September) and one or two much smaller ones in the winter. Adding "Trips and Events" has helped this. Adding late fall Gatherings at local watering holes has helped, too.

Darren deserves a royalty for the use of the Gathering label.

Hey Mr. X, Put your money on the the monkey, and maybe somthing will happen! But I vote for Mt.Mansfield in winter!

The winter gathering (6.5) this past March was in NH. The last Gathering (6.0) was in Eustis, ME last Sept. So that is two major events in ME and NH in the last year. Where were you? :D

As for future events...I have stated my desire for 8.0 to be in Vermont. Out of the X.0's we have had 2 in ME, 2 in NH, 2 in NY, and 1 in VT. Seems only fitting to balance it out.

- darren

I'll third that, VT is certainly closer than Eustis, ME! I don't recall any VT'ers at the Catskills gathering, which was kind of odd. Even Spongebob made the trek down...

Jay

Have horns, will travel.

Vermont sounds good to me as well. However, do you think that we have outgrown the Gifford Woods State Campground? It is really nice there, however we had quite a crew this year and I don't think that there is any group camping area there. Any ideas?

P.S. - Since Harry is a Gold Member, do I get to be a Head Member?

All right! I get to correct Darren! Gathering 6.5 was at the Loj, Gathering 6.75 was at Wonalancet.

VT sounds real good for winter, though for selfish reasons (15 of them to be exact), NH would be my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices! Barnes Field to be exact. That would give everyone lots of winter options, and showers ~7 miles away. You folks all remember showers, don't you?

VT sounds great to me! If I can get organized enough to bag my ME peaks next summer, maybe I can finish my 67 in VT at the Gathering?

(dreams on...)

Gathering 8.0 in Vt.? Are we talking Killington area, Middlebury, Northern Vt.?
There's a private campground south of Stowe...Gold Brook... that could work....
They have a group area large enough to accommodate us, and the price is right, $6 a HEAD. (Honest, teejay...)

There was a Gathering 5 3/8 at a Dartmouth cabin near Moosilauke. Attendance = 4. Whenever two or more are Gathered ...

In fairness and in the spirit of "I'd have never gone there if it weren't for a list" I think we should one day Gather in Quebec and our obsession would not be complete without something between Baxter Park and Greenville (I'll volunteer to organize that one ... when I retire).

Gathering 8.0

Okay, if you'll have me, I'll volunteer to "organize" G 8.0. It seems the consensus is leaning toward VT and I think that would be great. North near Mansfield. Say the word, and I'm your man.

I promise there will be no surprises.

teejay

Teejay, you are indeed a glutton for punishment.
If you're so inclined, you might want to contact Mary Nichols at the aforementioned Gold Brook Campground...see if you can ascertain if it's our kind of place. 802-253-7683. They do have a group site, but I didn't ask about showers....
JT

Largemoose,

That place sounds good. I'm up for a visit to The Shed to pick up some growlers of Mountian Ale for the fiesta.....yum!

A lot of great hikes in the area that I wouldn't mind doing again....not to mention the free samples at the Cabot store on the way there!!!

- darren

VT for sure. I have a leather apron to give away and I'm going to make sure the Willy from Chicago is there!! Maybe I'll make some hiking friends from Ohio or Indiana... and they can HEAD over this way.

Mapquest

Mapquest is NEVER wrong.

Portland, ME to Phoenicia, NY: 324 miles.

Colden, NY to Phoenicia, NY: 379 miles. Using a route that no one who could read a map would ever take, but...

Mapquest is NEVER wrong!!!

Bubba, that apron's yours, wear it with pride.

bigmoose, thanks for the heads up on Gold Brook Campground. I'll call them today. Googled it, and they have hot showers (free).
Groups welcome (little do they know). Sounds like the place.

teejay

Mapquest is NEVER wrong.
Portland, ME to Phoenicia, NY: 324 miles.
Colden, NY to Phoenicia, NY: 379 miles. Using a route that no one who could read a map would ever take, but...
Mapquest is NEVER wrong!!!
Bubba, that apron's yours, wear it with pride.
Damn! If the Gathering is in Vermont next year, I'm not gonna get that apron then, either. ;) How about I drive to the Gathering via Eustis, Maine???:D
Guess I'm just having an episode of apron envy...

Anywhere near Mansfield would be great.
I hiked the LT from the Canadian border to Smuggler's Notch this summer, and Mansfield is calling me!

sounds like a good plan.