Favorite Mt. Washington loop hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up Ammonoosuc, down Jewell would be nice this time of year - the cascades should be flowing. Check the train schedule beforehand and pick a day when it's not running hourly.

If you like a bit of steepness, up Tuckerman and down Lion's Head is a good route but likely to be crowded. For more challenge go up Huntington instead For slightly less crowding go down Boott Spur instead.
Check the webcam or submitted photos for lingering snow before deciding to try either ravine.

I've done a few, depending on the day & conditions, either up Ammo down Jewell or if feeling more adventurous, up Huntington, down Tucks.

(up Ammo at least 4X, on Jewell 2X, once in each direction, Up Huntington 2x, down tucks once, Boott Spur the other time. Other times it was Washington + others)

I have not been up Nelson Crag or the Great Gulf but hope to sometime

I went up Huntingtons and to the summit via Nelson Crag over Ball Crag. I then backtracked down to the Huntington/Alpine Garden Tr. junction and went across the garden to Tucks Tr. and down. While descending the top of the Huntington Ravine Tr. I got asked maybe a half dozen times "Your going DOWN this trail?!?!" And had to explain, "No, I'm not that naive." and that I was goin over to Tucks.

Good to get both ravines plus the alpine garden in if you have never visited one/any of them.

Another time (in my high school days) I went up Jewell but had to descend the Cog train thanks to a wimpy girlfriend. I would not recommend this route. She didn't last long once I went to college. :D

My favorite loop hike on Mount Washington is hiking within a quarter mile of the summit cone, looping around it to avoid the Cog Railway and Auto Road, then hiking down. In Winter, up Huntington Ravine to the true summit, down Boott Spur is a good loop.

Reactions: arm
Depending on how big you want to make the loop, I love going up Glen Boulder to Davis to Lawn Cutoff to Tuckerman to the Summit. Then head down Nelson Crag to the Alpine Garden and out on Lion Head. These series of trails gives you a lot of variation in terrain and views! Makes for a long but satisfying day!

great gulf

hit it by something out of the great gulf (great gulf itself is great) - its about 8 miles to the summit that way with about 5000 ele gain - which I think might be the most ele gain by any single peak in the whites (northeast??)

head down tucks, boot spur, jewell, etc.. and you have a great (long) day.

get a nice early start - (5am?). great gulf is one heck of a place to see from the bottom. you want to avoid crowds on george? this is the way to do it.

its long, but "moderate" until the headwall - and thats not even that bad. there might be some snow still in there now - I would bet my left nut there is quite a bit acutally.

giggy said:
hit it by something out of the great gulf (great gulf itself is great) - its about 8 miles to the summit that way with about 5000 ele gain - which I think might be the most ele gain by any single peak in the whites (northeast??)

get a nice early start - (5am?). great gulf is one heck of a place to see from the bottom. you want to avoid crowds on george? this is the way to do it.

its long, but "moderate" until the headwall - and thats not even that bad. there might be some snow still in there now - I would bet my left nut there is quite a bit acutally.

Been thinking about that one myself. My last time in the Gulf I went as far as Spaulding Lake, back when you needed a permit to stay overnight in the Wilderness. However, I'm not betting vital body parts on anything!

giggy said:

QUOTE]

My first trip to the Whites was Pinkham Notch across to the Great Gulf Trail via Old Jackson Road and Madison Gulf Trail, Great Gulf to the Summit, and down Tucks back to Pinkham. Long hard day but amazing when you pop out of the trees near Spalding Lake and look up at the ridge.

Only downside is a lot of the early day is spent without views, but the area is beautiful along the river so it’s Ok. I highly recommend it.

Count me as another to recommend the Great Gulf. No other trail like it in the area. The overnight options are endless. One trip we stayed in the Gulf on night 2 of a 2-nighter, climbed the headwall int the AM and descended Lions Head to Pinkham. Ran into a father with teenage son and daughter on Lions Head with the daughter suffering from some severe blisters. Hold this thought...

A year later we climbed the Ammo to the summit, made our way along the ridge towards Jefferson, went down to Osgood tentsites (spent the night), then made our way back to Pinkham via Tuco's route. (Took the AMC shuttle back to the Cog parking lot) Although there's not much to "see" on this route back to Pinkham, you're not likely to see many people.

Resume thought... Through some odd alignment of the planets we spent the night at Osgood with the same father-son-daughter trio we met the year prior on Lions Head. This year there were no blisters.

Good luck with whatever route(s) you choose. Washington can be a fun experience if you keep an open mind and search out the less traveled trails. If you want to see the alpine flowers, they should be in bloom very soon if they aren't already. Two years ago they were very vibrant during our visit on June 10.

Smitty

2 Favs:

Early Spring: up Central (watch out for slab-avalanches and know your limits!), but slide left or right gully. AVOID Lion's head.

Late Spring/Summer: Great Gulf: Six Husbands up, Wamsutta down. Mind as well grab Jeff and Clay while you are there.

-percious

How much time do you have, and how early do you plan to start?

The popular routes include up Tucks (after melt-out) and down Lions Head from Pinkham, or up Ammo and down Jewell from Cog Base Station.

Everything else is great, but longer and requires more time.

In fact, one of my best trips to the summit started at Rocky Branch. Went up Stairs Col to Davis Path. After summiting, we went down Rock Branch. And that was a 3 day trip.

marty said:
I just may have to venture up Washington 2 or 3 times
i like up huntington and down tuckermans myself, but you could come back down lions head, bott spur, glen boulder if you prefer - - if you want a nice loop, one of the nicest is the baldface loop, many nice views - but do it in the fall - baldface loop has many reds & yellows in the fall (not just yellows like many of the peaks).

How Soon?

I stayed at Hermit Lake Shelters for a couple days last week and the Tuckerman Ravine trail was closed above the Lunch Rocks. Luckily for us they had just opened the Lion's Head summer route. There was still a lot of snow and ice in the ravine.

My favorite is the Huntington Ravine trail up and a Boote Spur descent. But do them all if you can. Huntington Ravine requires dry conditions for me. Mt. Clay is probably my favorite view point in the Whites.