Favorite Mt. Washington loop hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a little uncouth

I have no pride. I'll tell you my version of a great Washington loop:

1) Up the Great Gulf trail and headwall.

2) Down the road, via illegal hitchhike.

Great day, and easy on the knees too!

Three favorites, all (long) day hikes:

Up Huntington Ravine, down Glen Boulder. Only problem is that I usually hike alone and I'm getting too old to do that by myself without my family going nuts.

Up Nelson Crag, down Boott Spur or Glen Boulder. In my opinion, the best way up if you prefer seeing a minimum of other hikers.

From Pinkham to the Great Gulf via Jackson Road, etc., up the headwall, and back down to Pinkham via whichever route is likely to have the fewest people so that my groans from crunched knees aren't broadcast to the world.

marty said:
I start early and would look to do an all day hike.

Thanks.

From Pinkham, usual book time up via Tucks or Lions Head is about 4 hours. Down the same way is around 3 hours. Down via Boot Spur is about 4 hours. Other trails, like Great Gulf add miles and time.

So, get the AMC White Mountain Guide and go from there.

ghassert said:
I stayed at Hermit Lake Shelters for a couple days last week and the Tuckerman Ravine trail was closed above the Lunch Rocks. Luckily for us they had just opened the Lion's Head summer route. There was still a lot of snow and ice in the ravine.

The Tuckerman Ravine Trail between Lunch Rocks and the top of the Headwall is always closed during melt-out, from May until about July 1.