Fishers in the news

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting. In the past I have "hated" the animal, believing that they had taken away some of my favorite cats. Then I learned there were other possibilities, such as Owls -- they're too cute to "hate." That, and understanding more about nature, led to "hate" being a word I rarely use about anything. The male in the photo is huge!

In the past I have "hated" the animal, believing that they had taken away some of my favorite cats. Then I learned there were other possibilities, such as Owls -- they're too cute to "hate."

Yeah, our neighborhood has periodically experienced losses of cats, which were attributed to fishers, although there could be numerous other explanations. They are very cute, but can give you a "don't mess with me" look, if you happen upon one.

Marty

Thanks for posting. In the past I have "hated" the animal, believing that they had taken away some of my favorite cats. Then I learned there were other possibilities, such as Owls -- they're too cute to "hate." That, and understanding more about nature, led to "hate" being a word I rarely use about anything. The male in the photo is huge!

[Warning: Thread Drift!] Sadly, there aren't enough predators of outdoor domestic cats. Don't get me wrong, I've grown up with cats and love them, but they don't belong outside. They're an unnatural, virtually unchecked predator that has decimated wild animal populations, particularly birds, which are already struggling against loss of habitat.

[Warning: Thread Drift!] Sadly, there aren't enough predators of outdoor domestic cats. Don't get me wrong, I've grown up with cats and love them, but they don't belong outside. They're an unnatural, virtually unchecked predator that has decimated wild animal populations, particularly birds, which are already struggling against loss of habitat.

I also, love cats. We have three recue cats...they stay inside.

To put things back on topic...Fisher Cat, they don't fish and they are not a cat.

True enough. Cat's are better off inside, as are the birds and mice, etc. they hunt. But it's not always as easy as it may seem.

So back to fisher cats, I've never seen one but friends and family have frequently observed them crossing the road from woods to river in New Boston, NH.

Cats - my two are indoors. They are happy, but you can see that they would be terrifying predators if they were outdoors. Cats also breed like crazy. Most urban areas have a major need for a catch, neuter and release program, but it costs money.

Fishers - they look cute, but they're nasty. The name "fisher " is "...derived from the Dutch word visse which means 'nasty'." (wikipedia). I've seen one, in daylight, here in my neighborhood in Keene, NY. Neat looking animal.

I don't think Fishers are into catch and release! :) Yeah, they are not cute little Pine Martens for sure, closer to an "Eastern" Wolverine.

I'll get back to the original topic in a minute ...

We've had cats over many many years, they lived long lives. My observation was that all were poor birders (which we're fond of and attract with the finest of bird seeds and plantings) and were not really interested in preying on birds. That may be because our cats 1) were well fed, and 2) couldn't fly. They were, however, excellent at preying on mice, moles, chipmunks etc., many of which escaped unharmed after the the chase and a little playtime.

One mouse was presented to me as a gift by our Tiger. At least I thought it was a gift. I properly disposed of it and Tiger never gave me another one ... I think he had wanted it and thought I ate it on him!

Tiger was our last cat , a stray we adopted. He was our only cat who was not an indoor cat. We couldn't break him of his outdoor pursuits. He subscribed to Field and Stream ... that kind of cat ... but not a birder.

Tiger disappeared. We have strong suspiscions that it was the fisher we'd seen prowling around our suburban neighborhood. The fisher may have done us all a favor for Tiger had been diagnosed with kidney disease and, having already spent more than we ever wanted to spend on a cat's health, we at least had some consolation that his suffering wasn't as long as it might have been.

In spite of that, we'll never begrudge that fisher a little share and passage of our backyard Serengeti.

Fishers - they look cute, but they're nasty. The name "fisher " is "...derived from the Dutch word visse which means 'nasty'." (wikipedia). I've seen one, in daylight, here in my neighborhood in Keene, NY. Neat looking animal.

did not know that. I was told that trappers called them "fisher" because of webbed feet. However the webbing is not for swimming, like they thought, but worked like snow shoes.

30 lB ferret on roids = fisher

My observation was that all were poor birders (which we're fond of and attract with the finest of bird seeds and plantings) and were not really interested in preying on birds. That may be because our cats 1) were well fed, and 2) couldn't fly.

Perhaps your cats didn't kill birds, but even if that was true--and that would surprise me--it would unlikely have anything to do with those two factors. Cats kill regardless of how well fed they are. They kill hundreds of millions of birds alone a year and over a billion animals a year. Having bird feeders and an outdoor cat is essentially luring the birds to their deaths.

P.s. Again, sorry for the further thread drift, but here's a good case for indoor vs. outdoor cats. And according to this article, indoor cats live, on average, ten years more than outdoor cats.

P.p.s Go fisher cats!

Last edited:
Perhaps your cats didn't kill birds, but even if that was true--and that would surprise me--it would unlikely have anything to do with those two factors. Cats kill regardless of how well fed they are. They kill hundreds of millions of birds alone a year and over a billion animals a year. Having bird feeders and an outdoor cat is essentially luring the birds to their deaths.

I'm not the fondest cat person, maybe because I was raised loving dogs or because I've always loved seeing and hearing birds and had to keep chasing away cats from our feeders, so having a rebound in the fisher population sounds like it's music to the ears of our feathered friends.

fisher cats

I saw a fisher this past spring while bike riding on the Catskill Scenic Trail. It wasn't as big as the one pictured in the article, more the size of a big house cat and very dark and furry.

I have a vague memory of seeing one in the past and thinking it was a wolverine, but understanding that wasn't possible but not being able to figure out what it was. I didn't realize at the time that fishers got as big as they do.

From fishercatschreech.com: In 2005 a Boston Globe article told of fishers attacking cats. A July 4, 2007 article in the New York Times raises the possibility that fishers have turned up in Hopewell Township, New Jersey, causing concern among cat owners. Zoologists are skeptical, suggesting other animals could be responsible, observing that it would be difficult for fishers to migrate into the area. A study done in 1979 examined the stomach contents of all fisher trapped in the state of New Hampshire. Cat hairs were found in only one of over 1,000 stomachs. Attacks on domestic cats may be documented, but zoologists suggest a bobcat, coyote, or dog is more likely to kill domestic cats and chickens.

In defense of cats, fisher cats eat birds. So do hawks and other raptors. Cats and dogs both live longer and healthier lives if they are kept inside or leashed, but animals that want to get out have a way of getting there, no matter how much you want to them do otherwise. Believe me. From experience, I know. (Ha! One of my current two housecats got out into the common hallway of my condo without my knowledge and I found him the next day curled up and nearly unconscious from fear behind a fake tree. His name, by the way: Owl. Ralph is the one pictured here and loves spending as much time as possible on the upper-level balcony. He's a heavyweight, but it is entirely possible the local eagle might spot him one day. I hope not.)

Last edited:
I really like the fisher cat, Ive seen only 3, one I just about banged into on the Whitehouse trail approaching Liberty, he was hanging out on a branch. The snow was quiet, so I got real close and startled him, he hissed at me and it was quite impressive, of course, I hissed right back at him and we seem to agree to a draw. As far as domestic cats, the most hidious creature ever to be domesticated, selfish, self centered and if your house caught on fire, unlike a dog they would leave without so much as meow to help you.

That is one HUUUGE fisher! They've been sighted in the Middlesex Fells. Fascinating creatures, but not one I'd like Augs and I to meet on the trail!

(on domestic cats: google "cats saving lives" I miss having cats. As a percentage, I've met far more hideous, selfish and/or self-centered humans than hideous, selfish and/or self-centered cats. YMMV)

I must like everything by the book. WHO on earth started calling a 'fisher' a 'fisher cat' and why is it repeated? makes as much sense as calling it a 'fisher elephant' or 'fisher fish' or 'fisher zebra'. ok end of rant. one cool thing i read about them in the golden guide my grandmother gave me: they are supposed to be the fastest animal in trees, and run down squirrels, their primary prey. Wonder if that is true or another 'rural legend'..hehe.

Last edited:
One of my favorite most recent sightings was I was driving back to Moose Brook one night, actually the night before my last 4K, and one shot out across the road, and then stopped and stared at me in the headlights. Then he just ambled off at his own pace. I knew it was a great sign for the next day.

There is a great story about fishers in Paul Doherty's book Smoke From a Thousand Campfires. He relates how he and the renowned bobcat trapper Joseph Edward Goulet were commissioned to catch a fisher live for the State. The dogs trapped a fisher in a culvert and "Ed' would drape himself over the outlet and grab the fisher when Paul would push him out with a pole. The "Black Cat", as Ed called them, stuck its head out, mouth wide open, and came out hissing and spitting. Ed jumped up, the fisher bolted and was gone. He said "I see dem teeth, I don't grab, let's go home."

When locals heard the story, they were not surprised. "What does a bobcat trapper know", they said, "about catching fishers."

Great story. Great book.

Thanks for the post Tom, I do indeed love fishers.