Flags on the 48, 2006 September 9th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:mad: I've sent messages to the person who turned this thread into a political football as well as to the person who used the term "ignorant" to describe the individual.
While the flag issue attracts strong emotions, particularly with the political backdrop of the country right now, its truly a shame that there are adults here who cannot control their emotions. NO POLITICS allowed and this thread is the perfect example of why. :mad:

I have re-opened this thread because I feel that it should be open so VFTT members can use it to plan for this event.

I want to make a clear statement however. There are NO POLITICS allowed on this website. The Flags on the 48 event is a memorial to the victims of 9/11. It is not political in nature. Posts about making plans for the event are fine, however I will not allow people to get on a soapbox and turn it into a political debate. I realize that it is a fine line, but I am going to trust that the majority of members here can follow the rules and leave the politics out.

Back to the subject, I would love to join the event this year, but I will be out at Pearl Harbor then. I will fly my flag there on that day and every day.

To everyone that takes part, please post trip reports and pictures. I love reading them every year.

- darren

darren said:
Back to the subject, I would love to join the event this year, but I will be out at Pearl Harbor then. I will fly my flag there on that day and every day.

To everyone that takes part, please post trip reports and pictures. I love reading them every year.
And a very fitting place to fly the flag at that time!

I, Tom, will be on Tom! :D

Thanks Darren. VFTT members have been very supportive in the past with comments and their participation. All I ask for now is good weather and a steady breeze.

Peace

SilentCal said:
Thanks Darren. VFTT members have been very supportive in the past with comments and their participation. All I ask for now is good weather and a steady breeze.

Peace

Ditto!
Looking forward to another fly.
Team B&B has Garfield this year, which was our first mountain ever climbed, nearly 30 years ago!

I was wondering if any alternate plans have been made for meeting up at days end on the 9th?
The last few years we have met at the Mooseland grill which has since burned down this past winter.
Where is the new local burger & beer shack?

As usual, I need to work Saturdays -- but if things come up short, I'm sure I can manage to pull off something again to make a peak for noon. Much easier commute this year!!!

If the timing doesn't work out, I can go up on Sunday and Monday to whatever peaks might not have been covered.

Hopefully, it will be a full 48 again this year.

I'll keep an eye on the sign-ups to see what's going on.

Wildcat "D"

While I will not be able to hike, I will be covering Wildcat "D". I will spend my time there thinking about how lucky I am to be alive, and honoring those who had the unfortunate draw in life to lose their lives on 9/11 and other similar senseless events.

To the organizers: thank you for allowing me to cover this peak, and to help remind us that others have paid dearly to give us the privilege of a free life.

SherpaK - thrilled to hear you'll be there!

I am again floating this year; I won't sign up for any specific peak in case we need coverage at the last minute. However, I hope that won't be an issue so I can head up Franconia Ridge with the camera and get pictures of all the flags surrounding.
:)

Eight peaks left:

Mt. Bond
West Bond
Middle Carter
South Carter
South Hancock
East Osceola
Middle Tripyramid
Washington - Auto Road access available.

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to help out so far.

The Fool Scouts are in! East Osceola it is.

Scoutmaster Gary has informed us that the Fool Scouts will be taking on a 'Flags on the 48' peak. We will attempt to break the 40' barrier and hope that Old Glory will be visible above the trees... Maybe we can get some of you to snap a picture of it.

Sorry to be so late, but you know how it is with fools... :rolleyes:

Getting close. Only three peaks left:

Mt. Bond
West Bond
Mt. Washington (Auto Road access available)

Many open slots for peaks with coverage as well. Group size limit is 10.

Thanks to everyone who is helping out.

SilentCal said:
Getting close. Only three peaks left:

Mt. Bond
West Bond
Mt. Washington (Auto Road access available)

Many open slots for peaks with coverage as well. Group size limit is 10.

Thanks to everyone who is helping out.

I can see why the Bonds are the last.....seems like there's no easy way to get there without doing an overnighter the day before.....humm. I'd like to participate somehow, just not sure what would work for us.

Either Mt. Washington or we'd have to try to hook up with someone else. We could probably car camp out the night before somewhere, then try to hook up with someone.....any suggestions??

MichaelJ said:
SherpaK - thrilled to hear you'll be there!

I am again floating this year; I won't sign up for any specific peak in case we need coverage at the last minute. However, I hope that won't be an issue so I can head up Franconia Ridge with the camera and get pictures of all the flags surrounding.
:)

I'm with him
;)