Franconia Ridge Traverse, Northbound Flume thru Lafayette, 10/4/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 4, 2013: Franconia Ridge Traverse, South-North

Trails: Franconia Notch Recreation Trail, Liberty Spring Trail, Flume Slide Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Greenleaf Trail, Old Bridle Path

Summits: Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette
(plus a couple speed bumps: Little Haystack and Truman)

Hikers: Sue (Trail Trotter) and me.

With peak fall colors in the area what better place to enjoy them than Franconia Ridge? The experts were predicting mostly sunny conditions with mild temperature and light breeze. We decided to take a different approach to the ridge and started with Flume Slide trail at the south, and hiked a south-north traverse. This time we parked at and hiked from Lafayette Place; after the hike we could use the facilities for a quick change.

Our warm-up included a short hike on the Franconia Notch Recreation Trail south to the start of the shortcut to Liberty Spring Trail south of The Basin. We had no trouble locating the start of this short bushwhack, made the turn, and started our climb. In a few minutes we reached Liberty Spring Trail and continued to the junction with Flume Slide Trail. In this short distance it was clear we had nice dry conditions for our hike. We found very little running water and mud. I was already thinking we were going to have a pleasant climb of Flume Slide Trail to the ridge.

From the trail junction to the base of the slide, Flume Slide Trail is nearly mud-free. There are a few very small patches but nothing at all like what we’ve seen in the past. The stream crossings along the way are also easy rock-hops. Well ahead of plan we were making our way up the lower slope headed to the steep climb on non-stop slabs.

Previously, the slabs were always wet and difficult to climb; I was feeling pretty good about the conditions this time through. We started up the slabs and were treated to very dry conditions. There were places on the slabs that were wet but they were all generally minor and easy to avoid. We were able to climb as fast as my heart rate would allow. Once the climb starts it never lets up all the way to the ridge; we made a number of stops along the way to quiet things down. Still well ahead of plan we reached the south end of Franconia Ridge Trail, made the turn, and headed for the opposite end; along the way visiting all of our targets for the day.

The remaining hike to Mount Flume was a short one; .1 in distance and 100 feet in elevation. The trail leads to the open ridge leading across the top of the slide and on to the actual highpoint. There we stopped for the usual summit pictures and a few more distance shots. We met the first of many other hikers for the day and were soon on our way to Liberty.

The hike from Flume to Liberty is a short and easy 1.1 miles. It’s a pleasant section of trail that is clear and dry for the full distance. On our way to Liberty we met more hikers; a solo and a group of four. Soon after leaving the summit of Flume we were working our way through the 650 feet in elevation leading to the summit of Liberty. We arrived to the vacant summit, stopped for our usual pictures and a few distance shots and as we were leaving the summit others arrived.

Our remaining hike of Franconia Ridge was generally the same as it had been to this point. The trail is very dry with most of the usual areas of mud fairly solid. We had no problem at all with trail conditions. The most significant effort for the remaining hike to Lafayette came as we approached Little Haystack. There is a fairly steep rocky section that is always interesting when hiking southbound. I expected it would be much more difficult than it was. In fact, the two or three places where I expected the climb to be difficult wasn’t too bad at all. We made our way through the steep approach to Little Haystack and the final mild section to the treeline.

The experts at the National Weather Service and Weather.com seemed to agree and predicted mostly sunny conditions for the day. In fact we had overcast conditions all day; at least they were very high clouds. I recall looking to Mount Washington a number of times and it was always in the clear, all day. The colors were still beautiful to enjoy while above the treeline but they would have been much better with the expected sun. On our way to Lafayette we had a short break on Lincoln for a quick snack. Soon we were back on the northbound hike of Franconia Ridge Trail. Between Little Haystack and Lafayette there was a good crowd headed in both directions. We reached Lafayette, got the usual summit pictures, enjoyed the views for a few minutes and decided to stay warm we needed to get moving; we started our exit hike.

On our way down from Lafayette via Greenleaf Trail we made a stop at Greenleaf Hut; which will probably be our last visit before the places closes for the season. After the stop at the hut we changed to Old Bridle Path and hiked it to the trailhead and Lafayette Place Campground, the parking location of the truck. Old Bridle Path was more of the same concerning trail conditions. All of the trails we hiked were in outstanding shape; clear and dry.

There was one surprise while hiking Old Bridle Path a short distance below Greenleaf Hut. Ryan Welts came flying through and he was really focused on getting down the trail. At first I thought he was either wrapping up a FKT attempt on a hut traverse, or Kristina was after him with something that would leave a mark. As it turns out both were wrong; Ryan was taking a run at (pardon the pun) another FKT.

We arrived to the truck, tossed our things into the back, used the facilities at Lafayette Place for a quick change into dry clothes, and hit the highway south. The weather wasn’t as good as expected but it was a lot better than the last time we were on Franconia Ridge Trail a few weeks ago.

Overall, it was a really good day in the mountains. Thanks Sue.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

I would have liked a little more sun as well. However it was a nice day to be above treeline. Thanks for a fun day out. :)