Gale River Trail to Lincoln Woods via Bonds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dclynch

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Saturday August 8

Trail Conditions:

Gale River Trail - some muddy spots on flat region, perfect after the second crossing
Garfield Ridge Trail - clear and surprisingly dry
Twinway - to S Twin has some water on the rocks, but otherwise fine. The portion to the Bondcliff Trail was lovely.
Bondcliff Trail - until the first water crossing was in great shape. It became progressively muddy thereafter, with the rerouted final part a real mess. The final crossing of the brook required stepping on some slightly underwater rocks. There were also about a half dozen trees down across the trail, but all easy to step over.
West Bond Spur - clear. An unsightly rock wall has appeared on the summit, joining those on Mt Bond as a blight on the Wilderness.
Wilderness Trail - some interesting pieces of old railway artifacts have been brought next to the trail near the junction with Bondcliff. Ever more of the trail continues to lose its railroad bed quality as it approaches Franconia Brook. Some mud, but not too bad.
Lincoln Woods Trail is fine.

Special Equipment Required: Poles always useful and very helpful for water crossings.

Comments: I found this a great way to do the Bonds. Most of the climbing was over about three hours into a 10-hour outing. The prolonged section above 4,000 feet was a joy, and the changing perspective of the neighboring ranges is amazing. The bad part is that I now I have to ride my bike to the Gale River Trailhead to fetch the car.

dennis underscore lynch at dfci dot harvard dot edu