Garfield #48 - August 13th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

I can hardly believe it myself, but on August 13th I'll be finishing the any season NH 4k's on Garfield.

All are welcome to join me but let's keep groups on the trail to a reasonable size and be sympathetic to others who may just have chosen that particular summit, on that particular day for a quiet day out!

Some folk are planning the standard approach by way of the Garfield Trail. Me? I'm going to do a traverse starting at Lincoln Woods. I will NOT be adding Owl's Head to this trip :rolleyes:

I'll be taking the Franconia Brook trail all the way to Garfield Ridge. This will give me plenty of time to reflect on the last two years of hiking the White Mountains which have captured my heart and soul.

I'm aiming to start at 6am but most anyone else who might also want to do the traverse could start hours later and still probably beat me to the summit :) I'm slow, and don't expect to speed up between now and then.

I'll probably summit sometime around 2pm depending on how many photographs I take along the way :)

I figure the Woodstock Inn would be a good spot for a post hike celebration.

This may be the end of one list but is merely the first step on a far longer journey.

Cheers.
Bob

Bob,

Hoping to be there if the stars and the obligations line up right! I like your pace. :D

Bob - Weather (and work) permitting we hope to be there. We are thinking about taking the Skookumchuck trail to Garfield Ridge. Anyone else interested in joing us let us know - otherwise we may have to beg you for a ride back to our car.

Anyone interested in camping post-hike? I have a site at Crawford Notch General Store & Campground with room for a couple more people if anyone is interested in keeping me company! :)

- Ivy

I was thinking of going up the Skookumchuck since I've never done it before, but like Bob and Geri, I don't really want to go back that way. Maybe we can spot a car?

Steve - let's touch base the week before and make a plan for the car spot. Okay - that's one other person - anymore??? We can fit 6 people in additon to the two of us in or car!

I'm planning on hiking up Garfield Trail and will have my little VW Bug, suitable for holding four people -- or five, if you're really fond of someone. I'll gladly shuttle folks back to another trailhead.

The only caveat may be that a friend of mine is visiting from out of town to attend a workshop in northern Mass., and I'll be trying to persuade her to join us at the Woodstock Inn. If that doesn't work, I may have to boogey to be back in MA by 8 p.m.ish.

Bob - I will *definitely* be there. I don't know which route I'll be taking yet. I was going to say no to Lincoln Woods, because I don't want to play catch-up again, but it's oh so very tempting to see the entire length of the Franconia Brook Trail. I was also considering going up Gale River and over Garfield Ridge, ironically exactly the opposite of Bob & Geri's approach.

We'll see as next week evolves.
:)

I'll have room for two in comfort, more at increasing levels of discomfort and/or intimacy :D on leaving the Garfield Trail head and will gladly return folk to their vehicles if needs be.

Here's hoping for good weather but only thunderstorms will stop me. A good monsoon downpour will find out who's hardcore :eek:

Bob

Hey Bob! I'm looking forward to being able to join you on the completion of your 4ks of NH! I hope the weather is perfect for your climb to Garfield. Garfield was the peak that hooked me into hiking so it will be fun to hike it again and reflect back on the first time. Ankle injury pending, I would love to join you!

Hey Ivy!,
I will be finishing up a week at Crawford Notch Campground and Gen. Store that weekend. I'm sure J and I would love to hook up with you later that night to reflect on the day or just talk about anything. I look forward to seeing you and anyone else who may be joining you for the evening. :)

bobandgeri / SteveHiker: I was contemplating that route also. I've been on Skookumchuck but not "the" trail between it and Garfield.

Dear HikerBob,
This is an early congratulations on the completion of the 48. I must say I throughly enjoy your pictures and descriptions of them that you put up on the web and I look forward to seeing some from a succesful garfield trip.

Good Luck

Bob:

I would love to join you as you finish. However, my daughter is participating in the 7th Annual Summer Sports Challenge in Poland, Maine, in support of Maine Handicapped Skiing. It is five events - swim, run, canoe, bike, and kayak. So, I will be in Poland, assisting and cheering her on.

Good luck and I hope you have a perfect day for your final peak!!!

Great Job Bob

Bob,
As you know I finished last Saturday, and the feeling is tremendous. I had a couple of very special close friends join me and it was fantastic. I appreciate all your help giving me the data on my hike. It was appreciated. Good Luck to you. I will be down the Cape gearing up for the Falmouth Road Race. My thoughts are with you.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

garfield on the 13th

the Skookumchuck trail sounds good to me.count me in.i can car spot or what ever..le me know

Just bumping this up to remind anyone who might be interested, or is already planning on joining me.

There will be folk heading in on the Garfield Trail and also via the Skookumchuck and Garfield Ridge (see previous posts). My plan is to take the long way in from Lincoln Woods.

However - the current forecast has 'scattered T-Storms' so I might abandon the Lincoln Woods route if the forecast deteriorates. This being the case I'll head up the Garfield Trail with other folks. This will avoid the possibility of people wondering if I continued or turned around in the event of T storms, rain alone is no biggie.

Right now I don't have any confirmed company for the Lincoln Woods route, which is fine by me, but if anyone else was considering the same route but starting later please be aware that I might not be ahead of you in the event of a troublesome forecast.

While company would be most welcome I don't want anyone putting themselves in danger on my account. The first signs of T Storms and I'm heading downhill! Garfield isn't going anywhere, I can always come back :)

Post hike revelries will be at the Woodstock Inn so whatever your plans, if you find yourself in Woodstock on Saturday evening you'll be sure to find some VFTTers there :)

Be safe and have fun!

Bob

I'll be there Bob, going up Garfield Trail. A friend from out of town will join us that afternoon/evening at Woodstock Station for some celebratory bubbly and whatnot. What time are you planning on summiting? As I mentioned previously, I'll have room for a couple of folks in my VW Bug if anyone needs a ride to another trailhead afterward.

My plan is to head up the Garfield Trail starting between 8:30 and 9:00am (basically, when I get there). Hopefully if Bob does decide not to go from Lincoln Woods he won't still start at 6am!

I will be able to shuttle two hikers back to their cars if they come in from other trailheads.