Garfield and Lafayette via Garfield and Garfield Rldge Trails, 7/4/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
:D Trail Conditions: Garfield Trail was its usual, mellow self - a pleasant, easily graded walk in the woods, up to the Land of the Seven (we counted 'em Steve) Switchbacks. All stream crossings were easily done. We encountered a fair amount of muck & mire (the famous Philadelphia firm) descending the Garfield Ridge Trail on the way to North Lafayette, particularly at the low point of the sag, and between the several minor "humps" before you reach the shoulder of N. Lafayette proper. Trail above treeline, from Skookumchuck to the summit of Lafayette, was dry as a bone, as was the Greenleaf Trail descending to the Hut (except near Eagle Lake/Tarn).

Special Required Equipment:Lotsa water, sunscreen, and bug spray.

Comments: The Five for the Fourth were: Creaky Knees, Keith, RJ, the hiker sometimes known as Little Man, and your humble correspondent. We set out from FR 92 at about 8:00 a.m., after a car-spot at Lafayette Place, and ambled to the summit of Garfield by 11:30 a.m. Passed a probably illegally camped crew (not 200' off trail) in the vicinity of Burnt Knoll, and had very few other customers on top of Garfield during the hour or so that we lingered for lunch. Views were fabulous in all directions, with some distant haze, but no complaints. A squadron of sailplanes streaked through the skies (I know, too much alliteration) all afternoon, sometimes close enough that you could hear the rush of wind over the wings. What a sight! Encountered a large number of AT through and section hikers along Garfield Ridge Trail. I lagged behind the intrepid trio of young guns on the way to the Lafayettes, but Creaky Knees was kind enough to keep an eye on me, and we reached N. Lafayette by 3:45, and the Marquis himself by 4:15 p.m. Dragged my sorry self into Greenleaf Hut by 5:45, well back of the Fab Four, but in time for chow! :) A fine night at the Hut followed. I took the OBP down in the morning; it was a well-worn and wide highway, with fine views back up Agony Ridge and into Walker Ravine. Met 70 or so uphikers, and was passed by every single member of the Hut Croo on their way down to resupply! Creaky Knees will post the conditions they encountered up on the ridge, going over to and down Falling Waters. A great overnighter, on what seems to be a 4th of July tradition for us.