Gathering 10.0 - Canadian Rockies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very interested in joining in on this event.
I've hiked in Glacier National park (Canada) and Manning Park and the scenery there was amazing. I've also heard many times from Neil and other friends that Lake O'Hara is the Jewel in the Crown and I've always wanted to go.
Early August would work best for me too.
I may fly to Calgary (rent-a-wreck) and drive thru to Vancouver before flying back to Montreal.

Don't Waste Your Time is a great book. I second the recommendation and after you pick out your trails, get the topo maps or additional trail guides for more details and side trip ideas.

I drove back from the CR to Buffalo, NY about 6 years ago, but unfortunately took the Canadian route. I thought the great plain states were flat, but Manitoba and Saskatchewan? Never seen anything flatter or more boring. And we even took the major highway - the Trans-Canadian Highway (I think it's highway #1) - which is only 2 lanes for most of the trip! The one good thing is there were no troopers/police/Mounties sightings at all and if you wish, you can really fly down the highway since it's pretty straight and flat.

Driving once you fly there or driving from Mass? Take it from someone who has traveled in a car from Mass to the Canadian Rockies...it is a looooong way, and there is a whole lot of nothing in the middle.
Hahaha! Actually, the drive across the CDN prairies (Highway 2, not the T-Can) can be pretty mind blowing.

The hiking trails around O'Hara, although eye-poppingly beautiful, are heavily travelled. (Think Franconia ridge). The scrambles, which are moderate to difficult are pretty much deserted.

I'm very envious ... love the Canadian Rockies (and haven't made it to Lake O'Hara, still bitter about that one from our last trip there).

I second the Patton and Robinson book. I like how the book is organized and it was very useful.

When hiking there several years ago we met a couple who had driven to the region from Quebec. They said never again. :p

wilderness hostels

Hi,

For anyone making this trip I suggest checking out one or more or the wilderness hostels in the Canadian National Parks out that way. We stayed at the Whiskey Jack Hostel right across from Takakaw falls and then we stayed at the Edith Cavell Hostel. There are a bunch of other choices too. Check them out. Whiskey Jack had high pressure, spring fed, propane heated showers!
If you go to that link and use the drop down menu boxes on the left of the screen you'll be able to navigate to all the different hostel options by Province.

To access and camp at Lake O'hara you need to reserve a bus ride down the 7 mile dirt road (this is done to limit access to the area). The bust ride is about $15 round trip.

Does it cost $15 round trip each time you want to go to the campground? For instance, if we stay at the campground but have to go elsewhere to a trailhead or to town to resupply will we have to pay for the bus each time?

Can someone that is familiar with it give a 20-second version of what the area of the campground is like relative to a town with supplies, trailheads, etc?

I found $387 plane tickets from BOS yesterday. Just a mere $775 from BGR!!!

Is it necessary to rent a car for the duration of the trip or is public transit pretty easy to use?

Does anyone know the area well enough to put together an FAQ about it?

Spencer

Hmmmmm....................:)

FYI - for those not aware of this fact, but the canadian rockies put our american rockies to shame. Ok, maybe it's not a fact, but after I visited a couple years ago I was completely blown away.

I might be able to join this party for a week. Such an amazing place.

Does it cost $15 round trip each time you want to go to the campground? For instance, if we stay at the campground but have to go elsewhere to a trailhead or to town to resupply will we have to pay for the bus each time?

You park off the highway in a fairly remote area to get the bus ride down the dirt road to Lake O'Hara. I say fairly remote because from what I remember there is a hotel nearby but I dont remember a lot of stores etc. So you want to have your food and supplies squared away when you get to the area. You park your car and then you and your backpack get on the 4 wheel drive school bus for the ride down the dirt road to the lake. Anyone can walk up / down the road as often as they want for free. I do not recommend it though. It is 14 miles of fairly boring hiking. You can not bike on the dirt road.

The bus dumps you off at the end of the road and you are at the end of the lake and there are some tent platforms for camping (all small 2 person / 3 person tent platforms) and there are also "cabins" that you can reserve and stay in. the cabins are part of the Lake O'hara Lodge. They are very expensive - like $450 a night. All trailheads for the area can be accessed right from there.

There is a max of limit of 3 nights of camping at the platforms. Pretty much once you take the bus in, the idea is that you stay there. Think of it as backpacking with a bus ride to basecamp.

I remember there being a small general store near the cabins / platforms. the kind you would find at a small campground - with soda and candy bars etc. Neil has been there more recently so maybe he can elaborate on what they have.

I found $387 plane tickets from BOS yesterday. Just a mere $775 from BGR!!!

Nice. I haven't even looked.

Is it necessary to rent a car for the duration of the trip or is public transit pretty easy to use?

I would want to have a car for the entire trip. The area is very big - especially if you want to drive up the parkway from Banff to Jasper (which is recommended). It is about 250 miles from Banff to Jasper and you are going to want to stop at several places and hike or camp on the way. I would not want to be tied down to bus schedules.

If you go for 2 weeks, then I see us all getting together for 3 or 4 days of it and then breaking into smaller groups to do what different people want to do. So groups of people could rent cars or maybe one group would want to rent a van or something like that.

Again it is a big area - Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho, Jasper is about 1/2 the size of New England. There are a lot of options and a lot of places you will want to go.

- darren

Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho, Jasper is about 1/2 the size of New England. There are a lot of options and a lot of places you will want to go.
And don't forget Mt. Robson (one of our favorites) and Kootenay.

I will be living vicariously through y'all. :D

Hi,

For anyone making this trip I suggest checking out one or more or the wilderness hostels in the Canadian National Parks out that way. We stayed at the Whiskey Jack Hostel right across from Takakaw falls and then we stayed at the Edith Cavell Hostel. There are a bunch of other choices too. Check them out. Whiskey Jack had high pressure, spring fed, propane heated showers!
If you go to that link and use the drop down menu boxes on the left of the screen you'll be able to navigate to all the different hostel options by Province.
There is also Takakkaw Falls Campground(http://www.field.ca/camping/) nearby. Depending on our numbers, we should select the facility which can adequately provide for the group meal(s) and socialization. What does it look like right now, a dozen of us?

I'm in!!!!

I have quite a few friends in Banff that can give us ideas and suggestions also.

For books, I recommend "Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies", as most of the big peaks are not considered hikes but scrambles and this book covers the hikes pretty well. Depends on the type of hikes that you are looking for.

The group sizes are set at 6 people when bear activity is active. Hotels are very pricey, but there are some nice tenting areas in beautifull surroundings. I haven't styed in Lake O'Hara area, only in Banff but it is an area that is worth getting into and hiking!:D

Is there a reason to miss this??

I'm not going to look too far for a reason to miss this. Right now I'm in a "tell me when and what and I'll just show up" mode ...and I've nudged mrs bubba that she should be there as well.

I think the July/August timeframe is probably smart for the venue. There's plenty of time to get things organized -- we're all pretty much pros at that! More a matter of getting committment and concensus early on.

I should mention that there is also excellent CDN train service... and I just did a quick check. Holy moly! $861 Toronto to Jasper and it takes about 2-1/2 days each way. Note that this was a quick - one person economy fair. There may be much better deals (...then again ?)

Carry on - let's make this happen!

Thread Bump on dates for gathering

Hi all, Like Bubba, I really would like to attend this event. Nevertheless I expect many folks need to book a block of vacation time in the summer season sooner rather than later. It is also is handy for booking deals on airline tickets if we can pick a date. Any suggestions on how we can pick a date and location and lock things in in the next few weeks?

Carmel and I are planning on being in the Canadian Rockies pretty much August 1 - August 16.

What dates in that window are best for the official Gathering? 3 days, maybe 4. Alos, what is the official tally on who is most likely going? We need to decide on a location and nail down some serious plans.

Aloha

- darren