Gathering 10.0 - Canadian Rockies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just returned from banff last week and while I was there went to the Park Offices and picked up information for camping areas and hostels for anyone that is interested. They gave me the telephone numbers to call and who to talk to.....

I also have maps of the areas and picked up the Lake O'hara map too!

I would definitly want to rent a car..you will want to stop at many places that a bus would not stop at..

Unlike the traditional Gatherings, I don't think people will attend this one as part of a long weekend so I suggest that Darren and Carmel schedule it as early in their vacation as reasonable to afford themselves, and any others with whom they may do subsequent hikes or activities, maximum flexibility as to where, when, how long and what for ...

Thus, I'd suggest a rendezvous at a suitable roadhouse, or perhaps a halfway house, on Saturday evening, Aug. 1 with subsequent festivities at the chosen campsite over the following 2 or 3 days and nights. This would presumeably be at Lake O'Hara.

Although we'll be prepared to camp at Lake O'Hara, we might make our base camp at Takakkaw Falls hostel during this period simply because we are driving with other destinations planned and don't want to leave the non-backpacking part of our possessions behind in the car at the parking lot with it's reported security level.

We also feel we can access suitable trailheads from the hostel although we will do one or two hikes out of Lake O'Hara.

I still predict a dozen attendees though, if I were a betting man, I'd put the over-under at nine ... in fact, if I had a sufficient bet I'd underwrite the trip for # 10 but I digress ...

Let's hope for the economy to continue its doldrums so's gas will stay cheap and maybe the Canadian Rockies will get real in their rates ... :eek::eek: ... then we'll tell Lake O'Hara Lodge and Cabins that we'll take 12 beds but we want campground rates :D

Hey! Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Time to break out the Jameson, the Harp and turn on John McDermott.

My vote is for folks who are flying it to fly in on Saturday August 1st. Based on Sherpa's post, shifting it a week later to miss Bearly live would be possible, but it would take out Spencer (see note about Spencer below). Looks to me like the flights from the east coast get in late on Saturday, so stay in Calgary Sat evening and drive over Sunday AM. Have a get together on Sunday afternoon and evening at a car accessible location and shoot to see if we can book in advance for a couple of nights at Lake Louise on Monday and Tuesday August 3rd and 4th, where we would ride in early, do a hike on Monday, then do a big hike on Tuesday and take the bus out Wednesday. We could set up some other hikes for the rest of the week if folks were interested during the Sunday session as by then we would have a good forecast, but these hikes would be strictly optional. This would cut it down to three nights of VFTT and the rest open. As for dayhikes versus overnight backpacks the rest of the time, I am open to suggestions, but would like to try to do some planning in advance.

Right now I see Darren and Carmel, Stan and Eric, Prino, Spencer, Darlene, Bubba (and wife?), Roadtripper and myself. That adds up to eleven. Pat and Audrey appeared to be on the fence in their prior posting. Stan and Eric are driving, Darren and Carmel are there for two weeks and I am not sure of the others. I am a little disapointed that some of the newer VFTT folks arent attending. Spencer just posted elsewhere that he is hiking the AT so I m not sure of his prior commitment to this event!

I would be glad to share a car rental for anyone that is planning to go for the week (fly in Saturday and fly back Sunday the 9th).

If anyone else has any suggestions please post so we can start doing some detailed planning. Darlene has offered her assistance with local details and arrangements so she may have a couple of suggestions

If Stan is willing to carry a few cooking utensils on his road trip, I will offer to make the Spaghetti one evening in honor of the first gathering. Peter Miller brownies will be pushing it.

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so perhaps this has been covered already.

I'm headed to the Banff/Colden, BC area in about a month, and found that I needed to get my passport renewed ($100 - yikes!) due to new requirements under US Security Theater. There's something now called a passport card. I haven't bothered to figure out what that is. There might be other forms of ID acceptable as well.

Here's a link for more info: //www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/#0

If you do need to obtain a passport or renew one, the processing time is now about a month.

Good reminder to all.

A passport card is good for ground transportation across the US and Mexican border only. It can not be used for air travel. It requires the exact same dcoumentation, but does cost a bit less. It was mostly set up for folks who drive across the border frequently and dont want to lug along a passport. I think you can get a slight discount if you order both at the same time.

The easiest way to get either one is the stop by the post office with a birth certificate and a driver license.

The new passports contain an RFID, and if you go thru an airport with the appropriate sensors, this electronic capability is supposed to hasten clearance times. I don't whether the passport card has an RFID. I believe some border crossings have these sensors as well. There's an image stamped on the passport itself as a reminder to look for gates/lanes with that image to speed passage. Some concept electronic toll booths use.

Places to stay ... in the Canadian Rockies.

Also, check out Johnson Canyon Resort. They have lots of different size Cabins. I stayed there in 1998 and I remember they were pretty resonable. Not real modern but might be good for a large group. Also Baker Creek Chalets. These were a little more expensive but very nice. Both places were pretty close to Lake Louise and an easy drive to great hiking areas. What a place to hike and climb !!!

passports and pasta

The easiest way to get either one is the stop by the post office with a birth certificate and a driver license.

Bring a passport photo, too. Not all post offices do the photo. For those in the Boston area, the post office on rt. 30, Framingham, just down the road from REI, was very quiet, efficient and does photos. You can also get passport phtots at some CVS now.

Yep, I can bring a pot and a colander (how do you know when it is prince spaghetti day? check your colander :eek:) and a stove and fuel.

Sounds like things are rolling along for this gathering!!

I may not be able to make it to banff the first week in august.........That will be cutting it close for me at work.:eek:

I am in the Alps from 6/17-7/6 and will need to work a month to get caught up at my desk...don't think my boss will appreciate me heading out to Banff so soon. :mad:

I will probably be going the second/third week in Aug....:eek:

I am very willing to help with any plans and I do have maps/info and friends who live there....if you want to know anything..for planning!

I picked up lots of data from the Park information dept. last month.

Wish I could work it out to be there with everyone.....but I do need to keep my boss happy! Plus I need my job so I can travel some more!!!:D

I'm still planning on being in the CR the first 2 weeks of August. I've been looking at flights and not having much luck. Darlene - how do you usually get there?

I need to look into availability at Ohara. We do need to book it soon. We shoudl just pick a 4 day period. Or look at availability and set a 4 day period based on that.

- darren

I'm still planning on being in the CR the first 2 weeks of August. I've been looking at flights and not having much luck. Darlene - how do you usually get there?

- darren

I normally fly Air Canada thru Toronto/American/United----my friends get my tickets with points most of the time...:eek:

Air Canada allows 2 checked bags..so if you are taking lots of gear..that can make a difference. Plus they have more seating room and TV's..my top choice! Customs in Toronto is smooth normally and quick.

American has cheap tickets right now BOS_YYC -$533 w/tax but you have to go through Fort Worth, TX.

I'm still planning on a trip in Aug, but it will depend on my work load after I get back from Alps...can't commit now.

It's not in the cards for us. We'll be in SW Colorado a couple of weeks before, in the "inferior Rockies," Hah!
Well then, you'll have plenty of time to drive up through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier and Waterton!

I need to look into availability at Ohara. We do need to book it soon. We shoudl just pick a 4 day period. Or look at availability and set a 4 day period based on that.

- darren

For airlines, consider SW from MHT to LAS, and then WestJet to YYC. Southwest doesn't charge for 2 checked bags; not sure what Westjet's policies are.

Re: grizz - where there are bear warnings posted, heed the recommendations. I think the minimum may be 4? in these areas?

And, FWIW - I was told there's never been a recorded attack by a grizz in BC on a group of 6 or larger.

Turns out we're going to be in the Canadian Rockies, but not until the last two weeks of August. We're hoping to camp at Lake O'Hara and we're going to start calling this Friday. If you haven't already called, you likely missed the window for the first two weeks (unless they still have group sites left, but I imagine all sites go quickly for August). You can call three months before the date you want.

Just wanted to add info about Lake O'Hara. We called the first day we could (we had a two week window in the end of August and you can call three months in advance) and it took us about 45 minutes to get through and there was nothing available (not surprising given that was for a weekend). We called again on Monday (they aren't open on weekend) and after about 20 minutes we got through and got a campsite. The lady said it was very competitive every day to get a permit and it's luck of the draw if you get in or not. I'm not sure what their cancellation policy is, but I would say you guys need to look into other options.

I don't know what your requirements are for a campsite, but have you considered Mt. Assiniboine? I mention that since it's a first come, first serve backcountry campground that really doesn't have a limit (so you wouldn't have to worry about permits for a group). There are also cabins with bunk beds you can reserve in advance (easier to get mid week I think). There is a cooking shelter and a lodge nearby that has afternoon tea, etc (and very expensive rooms). And many great hikes. The only catch is that it is a backcountry location that is a 17 mile hike in (I think there are good places to camp on the way in). There is also a helicoptor that flies in (I think three or four days a week?). Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there on the off chance it would work for the group.

... We called the first day we could (we had a two week window in the end of August and you can call three months in advance) and it took us about 45 minutes to get through and there was nothing available (not surprising given that was for a weekend). We called again on Monday (they aren't open on weekend) and after about 20 minutes we got through and got a campsite. The lady said it was very competitive every day to get a permit and it's luck of the draw if you get in or not.

I just want to confirm what you said about it being the luck of the draw.

When I was at the VC in Field, B.C. about a month ago I spoke with the lady who's in charge of those registrations. She said openings get booked within 45 minutes each morning, so with so much competition, it is, as you say "the luck of the draw".