Gathering 7.5 Mt Washington Hike 1-15-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
We met in the pack room at Pinkham notch lodge, 13 (or was it 14) all joined up, many meeting for the first time. I met peak_bgr and Donna first, recognized some from their avatar photos like Blue and Frodo from past trail meetings. I apologize right off the bat, I am TERRIBLE with names and I'm leaving some out. BlueZ, SueBiscuit, Hamtero, Bushwhacker, NH Mt Hiker, Mt-top were there also, we headed out under clear skies at 8am. Tuckerman's as always was a groomed and well packed out trail....I watched several parties ahead of us take off wearing snowshoes...left mine home after reading the observatory conditions.....well, actually I kinda forgot them :eek: Good pace right from the beginning, Tucks trail is moderate but steady, got to talk with Sue, Jun, Frodo, Bushwhacker and others as we headed past Crystal cascade and on up. Water was running along the waterbars and alongside the trail in several places, strange to see this in mid-January. Heard the songs of my favorite bird...the chicadee of course, enjoyed a really beautiful hike with cottony woods and promising blue skies. When we got to the final bridge I tried to take a picture of the group with my digital but it was frozen. I stashed it in my inner jacket pocket in hopes of summit pictures. We reached the winter Lions head route, cramponed up and waited for everybody before starting up the steep trail. Before too long we were at a standstill as folks ahead struggled with the first real steep pitch. There were LOTS of people out hiking.....Saturday and a holiday weekend and nice weather. I watched in amazement as one of our group navigated the first steep icy spot with snowshoes, it was a river of ice. One by one we climbed that followed by the next steep part......stand in line...wait...I joked that a fast food joint could set up shop here today. Kick in crampons, grab root, pull yourself up and repeat. Beyond that last uphill grunt it was more steadily steep. We reached Lion's head and I was feeling pretty good. The summit was under fog but you could see a long line ahead of hikers so the visibility wasn't that bad. Beyond the rock formation that is the head we got blasted by winds. I got blown sideways at one point as I stumbled, managed to grab a rock and stay on my feet. I saw people heading back but didn't recognize anybody. Frodo told me later that they were from our group. Frodo showed some great leadership skills by staying behind at Lions head to wait for the final few while the rest of us continued up. I was pretty comfortable, I'd been here once before on a February day when we turned back from the high winds and had come prepared for it this time. My problem was energy, I hadn't taken much time to eat anything and hadn't had much of a breakfast. I lagged behind as we climbed the summit cone above alpine garden. 6 or 7 of the group were far ahead....I'd stopped with another group that I thought was VFTT (everyone was all covered up, you couldn't id anyone.) I did recognize Frodo as he passed me, in going he said that 4 or 5 had turned back. Winds were light on the cone, I was determined to make the summit. Also in the back of our pack was the cop from Fairhaven (again, names, ugh :eek: ) He passed me, I managed to eat a bit of chocolate and was thrilled when the clouds lifted enough to see the tops of the towers on the summit. When I reached the bottom parking lot a bunch from our group were heading down including Sue, BlueZ, NH-mt Hiker? and others....everyone was all covered up. I climbed that little pile of rocks in time to take pictures for a couple of groups, touched the top and headed to the shelter of the building. I was glad to see Frodo there, he waited patiently while I got a couple of pictures http://community.webshots.com/album/253116983FmKUyF

I ate some cookies and thought about the hike down, "Halfway there" I said as Frodo led the way. The three of of met BlueZ and we scrambled over the exposed rime ice painted boulders. Frodo was much faster than I, but he waited at many points. We stopped to look around at the clear views, Wildcat and Carter ranges seemed so close. I peered down into Tucks as several hikers seemed to be picking their way down the face....didn't look like much fun to me. Waited in line for several minutes again on the steep parts below treeline. We chatted about what a great day it had been, this had been my third try for a winter Washington summit and I was so excited. Frodo said that 9 from our group had made it.

BlueZ had taken some great pictures of the trip. Can you post that link for everybody? Thanks again to some great companions and a fun day. Hope to see you all on the trails again. :)

Jim L

Last edited:
Jim lombard: I'm glad you and the others had a good day and safe trip. As we stood on Pierce we looked toward Washington wondering how many VFTTers were over there. Congratulations! Nice report. (I think you need to give us the link for 'community' views in Webshots)

Gathering 7.5 Mt Washington Hike Pictures

Yeah, it is great trip!!!! So happy with guys from VFTT.

It is a perfect hiking day, and the view is great!!!!

Some selected pictures ...

http://juno.bumc.bu.edu/~junyu/album/mtWW/index3.htm

Jim, thanks for your great trip report!!!!! BTW, I checked your photos, they are great!!! when I was on the summit, I was inside the cloud, visibility was very low. you had better view!!!! This is the beauty of mt. Washington, i think, Just 15 minutes difference, you see different things ...

Last edited:
Nice pictures Jim lombard (the link works now) and blueZ.

Jim, I see an avatar in that summit portrait :D

Great pictures

Peakbagger- Great trip!
Jim- Very nice trip report
BlueZ-Great pictures. I am glad you made it down ok, since we never really saw you after and nobody was sure you made it ok. Too bad you did not come over to the gathering Saturday night and hang out with us and eat some food- it would have ben nice to talk with you.

Thanks everyone, I know I had a great hike that day and I think Blue did as well. I am working on stitching together a panoramic of the headwall from the top of Lion's head as well as one of cascade falls at the bottom- I will post a link once I get it done.

Charlie

Yes, thank you Peakbagger for organizing this memorable hike.

Sorry I couldn't make it over to Barnes field either, promised my wife I'd be home for 8pm

Nice to meet you Charlie.

Great TR Jim and love the pics everyone! Congrats on finishing the Lion in Winter. Reading your TR made me feel real regret at having missed a great hiking day.

Thanks, Charlie ...
I think I saw your guys when I headed down. Frado is a good team leader. He always waited patiently!!! He even showed me a yellow fox in the lionhead trail when we descend!!!!
I love to talk with your guys. Too bad I couldn't make the gathering. I have to drive back to Boston the same day. What a great day: left Boston @ 3:30 am, hiking from 8am to 4 pm, back to Boston @ 9:30pm, 16 hours out, 8 hours in the moutain ...
I like the feeling of knowing someone is around. when I solo hiked Mt. Jefferson last month, didn't see anyone on the trail, the footprints of wild animals made me nervous ... The other use of ice axe: self defense weapon!!!
:p :p :p

blueZ said:
What a great day: left Boston @ 3:30 am, hiking from 8am to 4 pm, back to Boston @ 9:30pm, 16 hours out, 8 hours in the moutain ...
:p :p :p

That is just absolutely incredible! You had tons of energy, running back and forth with your camera. You can hike with us anytime, BlueZ! :D :D

Charlie

Headwear

One of the hikers in our group had a red (what looked like fleece) hat, that folded down to become a balaclava and perhaps a face mask too. Does anyone know who this was or what the hat he was wearing was? I am interested in finding such a hat for myself.

Thanks,
Charlie

the hat

Hey Jim - great report and pics! And yes, thanks to Frodo for waiting up for a few in the group - tough to keep the group together or know who was who amidst the crowds, or what the protocol should be with such a large, fractured group on such a cold day. Fortunately every one got back OK. Thanks also to Donna for foregoing the trip around Boott Spur to buddy up with and head back down Lion's Head with Swamp. Hamtero and I went back via Boott Spur with Robert Palmer (didn't know he hiked did you?!) who is a guy from Hillsboro who tacked onto our group in the am. I believe he was the guy wearing the fleece hat with flaps (I was eyeing that also!). Unfortunately he's not a VFTT member, so don't know how to get in contact with him...

Great fun hanging with you all this weekend.

Sue

Suebiscuit said:
Hamtero and I went back via Boott Spur with Robert Palmer (didn't know he hiked did you?!) who is a guy from Hillsboro who tacked onto our group in the am. I believe he was the guy wearing the fleece hat with flaps (I was eyeing that also!). Unfortunately he's not a VFTT member, so don't know how to get in contact with him...
Oh yea, the guy with all the gear to keep his hands warm. He might as well facce it, he's addicted to gloves.

The Washington hike was a great time with great people. Jim and Blue Z, great photos. Jim, TJH = cop from Fairhaven, Ma. Stupid me used up all the pictures in my disposable before we even got to Lion Head so I appreciate the great photos. Blue Z, where is the picture I took of you between the Lion head rocks and the snow fields on the way down? Yes, Frodo was a true leader keeping tabs on the ones bringing up the rear like me... I'm already looking forward to the next gathering... Tim