Gathering 8.0 [and leather apron(s)]

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My weekend plans are starting to come together. If it all works out I'm going to gather myself together and hike in the ADKs on Thursday and Friday. Then, either Friday night or Saturday am. I'm going to get myself over to VT.

Is my best bet to go from the Dacks to VT by ferry?

Directions

Gris,

I think the best way would be to head north on I-93 to St. Johnsbury, VT, then take US 2 to Montpelier and I-89 north to exit 10, but New Hamshirites may have a better suggestion.

Neil,

Depending on where you're coming from in the ADKs the ferries will probably take the least time. The ferry from Essex to Charlotte, VT is the shorter. Charlotte is about 12-14 miles south of Burlington. Just drive past Spencer's house and keep on going and follow the signs. The Port Kent-Burlington ferry is a longer ride, ~ an hour, and puts you right in downtown Burlington. Both ferries have awesome view of both the ADKs and the Green Mountains.

Hope this helps.

teejay

I just spoke with the campground. When you check in, just tell them that you are with teejay , Views From the Top or VFTT and they will point you in the right direction. They do take plastic, Visa, MC, AmEx and Discover. Anyone arriving after the office is closed should check in there in the morning. If you drive past the office, bear left and follow the road staying to the right to get our area.

Edit: You don't need to call the campground to reserve a site beforehand.

Edit 2: I hadn't given this much thought, but if anyone will be coming in an RV or trailer, then you will probably want to reserve a site. They have some with full utilities. I don't know what the availability will be as there may be a group of RVers there this weekend.

teejay

Last edited:
teejay said:
I just spoke with the campground. When you check in, just tell them that you are with teejay , Views From the Top or VFTT and they will point you in the right direction. They do take plastic, Visa, MC, AmEx and Discover. Anyone arriving after the office is closed should check in there in the morning. If you drive past the office, bear left and follow the road staying to the right to get our area.

Edit: You don't need to call the campground to reserve a site beforehand.

Edit 2: I hadn't given this much thought, but if anyone will be coming in an RV or trailer, then you will probably want to reserve a site. They have some with full utilities. I don't know what the availability will be as there may be a group of RVers there this weekend.

teejay

Thanks teejay! MEB and I will be driving up Friday afternoon/evening. Looking forward to seeing old faces and meeting new ones. :)

For those interested in local history:

Little River State Park, on the outter limits of Waterbury, has an
extensive network of hiking trails which connect up with the catamont
trail system. What's cool about this trail network is that it's goes
thru a gost town which was established in the 1700's. On the trail you
go by old homesteads, family graveyards, old school house, church and three
grist mills. The network of trails can take you up to Ricker and Bolton Mt,
which is a ski area, it's a moderate plus hike to summit. If you are into mt.
biking there miles of rolling hill on the vast network there too.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/vt/rickerbasin.html

Just to add to DaveSunRa's recommendation, we climbed Woodbury Peak (a 3000 footer, bushwhack) from the Little River Campground. It was beautiful, open hardwoods, and spectacular foliage on Columbus Day, though it'll still be too early for much color.

Teejay,
FunkyF and I will be arriving on Saturday with a wide bodied truck. Can you check with the campground as to the width of their roads? While I'm at it, there isn't a quiet time at that camp ground is there?

"How's the weather looking for this weekend?"

It probably all depends upon how close/far Ophelia is from the coast Fri/Sat/Sun. If she veers out as predicted it may be beautiful as hurricanes usually pull good drier air to the perimeter... ;)

MichaelJ said:
Lousy Thursday, good Friday, great Saturday. I think.

Yeah, and not bad Sunday too, if we can look that for ahead.

I was going to try to do Abraham and Ellen Thursday, but I'm not sure a ridge walk is a good idea if Thunderstorms are predicted! :eek:

Tom Rankin said:
I was going to try to do Abraham and Ellen Thursday, but I'm not sure a ridge walk is a good idea if Thunderstorms are predicted! :eek:

The ridge itself wouldn't be bad, being wooded it would be unsafe but not deadly. However, I would not *dare* to go over Abraham in that weather. AMSTony and I raced the entire way out to Ellen and back in the face of such arriving weather and the top of Abraham, besides being nasty and super-slippery when wet, would be very, very, very bad with lightning.

As it is, with SherpaK's group doing Mansfield on Saturday, I am but an inch away from outright cancelling my Sunset Ridge at sunset attempt on Thursday. No point in doing it if there is no sunset, no moon, and no view, and there's really no point in night hiking in the rain.

Neil said:
FunkyF and I will be arriving on Saturday with a wide bodied truck.

I wish, Neil, I really do! Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to miss this one..... my professional life is a real mess right now and I can't leave town unless a miracle occurs - one can always pray, can't one? I really wanted to hang out with everyone, climb Mt. Mansfield and some of the other Vermont peaks.

I hope all of you have great hikes, a great party, and a great time! I will be there with you in spirit and thinking of all of you while I toil away in NYC. Take care, Fred

dr_wu002 said:
I'm a definite for Vermont Gathering!!

I want people to hold me to it too when I try to (inevitably) back out!

-Dr. Wu

Haven't hear anything to the contrary. Speak up if you're even thinking about backing out so we can chide away!!!

ALSO: TeeJay what's the count for PotLuck?? You keeping track??

I'm bringing garlic rice again, same at Spence's place, will also make pancakes in the am. :)

Why do i always have a hard time finding my stuff? :mad: probably because i put things away in a safe place which i always seem to forget. I should leave my gear on the floor like my kids do. :rolleyes:

coldfeet said:
I should leave my gear on the floor like my kids do. :rolleyes:

That's the surest way to show up at a subfreezing January Gathering with no long underwear.

Not that I've ever done that, nosirreee. Uh-uh.
:eep:

Change in Plans

Well, as they say, life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. Particularly Gathering plans. Oh well. I need to tend to some health and care issues with my dad, so I will not be able to get to the Gathering today or even Friday. Looks at this point that I won't be able to arrive until Saturday (not sure what time). I know I can be there in time for the pot luck :) , but unlikely to get there in time for any hiking :(

Someone save me a spot for my tent!!

Oh, and in light of numerous things I'll be arriving Friday night around dinnertime at the Shed, not today. Sorry for anyone who was wondering where the heck I was today (the answer was a 12-hour workday, 10 of it in the office).

Looks like I won't make the Gathering at all this time. Sorry folks, have fun, stay dry, or look good trying.

-dave-