Gathering 8.0 [and leather apron(s)]

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darren said:
Is there anyway that Thursday would be an option for you? I'd take an extra day out of work to do that hike AND make it to the Shed. :)

Yes, yes it would. I just double-checked and in fact I already do have Thursday off from work (d'oh!). I'm going to delete my post and start over. :)

Last edited:
While at the Gathering, I plan to climb Mt. Mansfield. If the weather's good, would there be anyone interested in going up the Sunset Ridge Trail and being up top for sunset over Champlain and the ADK's? 6.6 miles / 5 hours round-trip. I don't want to do a night hike solo and would love company.

Due to being on the west side of the mountain, it's over an hour between the trailhead and Stowe. If I were to do this hike Friday night, it would mean missing dinner at the Shed. Saturday night I'd miss too much of the dinner/bonfire. Therefore, I'm thinking of going up Thursday evening. Probably leaving Stowe around 2:30 to be on trail 3:30 and up top between 6 and 6:30. Sunset is 7:01pm, and 91% of a full moon will have risen at 6:12pm.

If the weather isn't good, I'm going up as an ordinary day hike (probably Friday).

Any interest? Will folks be around on Thursday?

I'll be away Wed-Sun and unable to post or read during that time (a vacation where I don't set the alarm for 5am ... what a concept! :))

Last edited:
Michael, interesting concept. I should try to work in some days off work -- I'll work on it. We'd be on the trail approx 3-hours coming out with headlamps? I've not done Mansfield - decent trail??

As far as I've been told, a very decent trail. About a mile on the old CCC road, then into the trees and ascending steeply. It doesn't take long to get above treeline onto the long, low-angle slabs of the summit ridge.

Book time is a 5 hour round-trip trail, so I'm estimating that would for us be 3 up and 2 down.

bubba said:
decent trail??

Oh, it is not about the trail, it is about the views on this one. There are slabs just above treeline that we can sit on and watch the sun set over Lake Champlain and the ADKs. If we are lucky enough to have a good sunset the view is incredible. We ca go up to the summit and back down to the low ledges so we only have to hike out from the ledges after sunset. I think it only took us less than an hour to get down the last time I did it but I dont really remember. Parts of the trail are step though.

Can't wait!

- darren

MichaelJ said:

UGH!!!!! :mad:

Summit celebration? Sunset views? Headlamp hiking? Hhhmmpp. That's ssooooo MY kind of hiking!!!!

I SO want to do this, but with the little drama going on in my life, it will be very difficult to get another day off work (and still keep my job!). Maybe the miracle I've been praying for will finally occur so I can do this.

If this hike is a go, keep me posted just in case!

No matter what, I still plan on still coming to 8.0, even if I have to arrive post-campfire Friday night.

P.S. Hope you're having a great time away, MJ!

My doctor says that at my age one gathering a year is the limit.
The ADK gathering was in August.
My "gathering calender" years start in September so I guess it's ok for me to go.

(Please update me on future gatherings so I can adjust my calender appropriately.)

Hiking plans for the gathering

Laurie and I would like to do 2 sets of peaks:

Mendon/Pico/Killington - Need a car spot.

Abraham and Ellen - Need a car spot.

Anyone else want to join us? We are flexible about dates. It could be Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

Darn - I really wish I could make it to this one, lots of people that I haven't seen in awhile and would love to hike/socialize with, but I just got my work schedule and that's my weekend to work........no way I can ask for it off after not working for the past 5+ months. That *might* be pushing my luck!

Have fun everyone!

MichaelJ said:
I don't want to do a night hike solo and would love company. ....

Potentially interested. I have trailwork on Fri and Sat. I'd have to make it over to the Dix-Elklake trail after, gotta look at the Logistics. I'd also like to get Killington and Camels Hump that morning..... Wanna get rid of Vt. Eh ToeCozy?

In spite of my being an ADK man all the way I would really like to make it to this gathering. Curently, I am working on my wife (no joke) to come with me on this jaunt. My knowledge of Vermont hiking could easily snuggle up against a Giardia spore under a dirty fingernail. Nevertheless, if I can be there I will be there!

this is very very doable for me. i am a super strong maybe. it'd be great to meet you all!

This sounds like an awesome trip :D I wish I could come and meet everyone, I've met SherpaJ and Panama Jack at the Mtn. Wanderer before. The only road block is getting a ride up, my parents might be a bit iffy going away hiking with people online. Please excuse my negitivnes, I don't intend to spoil everyone's excitement.​

Dave M. mentioned Jay/Big Jay at the Beer Gathering last night--I like this idea.

Other takers?

Seeker said:
Dave M. mentioned Jay/Big Jay at the Beer Gathering last night--I like this idea.

Other takers?
Sure. I didn't even think of Big Jay last year when I took a very long lunch on Jay Peak.

Friday hike

A traverse of the Worcester Range from Mt. Hunger to Mt. Worcester is about 14 miles and 4400 feet of vertical. Bigmoose, still interested?

I hesitate to do it on Saturday, though, because I'll be too pooped to party.

Yup, sign me up. Audrey. Friday, I presume? You promise no rain, of course. Oh wait, if there were no rain, it wouldn't be a Gathering!
Who else is in??

bigmoose said:
Yup, sign me up. Audrey. Friday, I presume? You promise no rain, of course. Oh wait, if there were no rain, it wouldn't be a Gathering!
Who else is in??
I'd be interested in that too.

I'm also interested in a traverse of the Mansefield ridge, maybe up to the south end (forget the trail name), then across to the Chin (and throw in the CoHP just past the Chin) and then down the Sunset Ridge Trail. This doesn't look too long - what, maybe 8 or 9 miles (and no car spot)? Anyone?

See you there.

Last edited:
Ridgewalker said:
...my parents might be a bit iffy going away hiking with people online.​

Ridgewalker, I too was a little wary the first time I met up with this online community. But I found that this is the nicest group of people you'll ever meet.

I myself am a fairly protective mother, and I would have no reservations in allowing my teenage child to attend.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend this time, due to a prior commitment.

Good Luck!